Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian Citizenship with marriage

Italian Citizenship with marriage

Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: Italian Citizenship with marriage

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Or your daughter could fall in love with a Brit and even if she gives birth here, the kids would get British citizenship from their father.
Not sure how mamy eligible British males live here though. There aren't any where I live.
So you've been looking out?

Right, well let's just keep our options open eh?
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:12 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
So you've been looking out?

Right, well let's just keep our options open eh?
Arranged marriage for my Chloe
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

I am english, married my Italian OH in 1971 and in those days Italian citizenship was automatic, I have always had dual nationality since then, with both a British and Italian passport. When we moved back to Italy in 2008 and I applied for a Tessera Sanitaria I was sent to the Ufficio Stranieri, and was grilled as to why I thought I was entitled to it, I just fumbled in my bag and showed him my Italian passport, I never said a word in explanation, why should I being straniera. My OH said "She's married to me and this was issued by the Italian Consulate in London". Our second son, born in Puglia applied for and obtained his British passport as both my parents and grandparents (and great, great grandparents were born in England). He was stopped at Pisa airport by two jobsworth PS policemen who looked at it and asked for his Italian ID card (it had expired!) and they told him even though you have a foreign passport if you are Italian you have to show a valid Italian ID card to expatriate. They let him through anyway. I kept Mum but was dying to say "just try stopping him travelling".
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PAT M
...He was stopped at Pisa airport by two jobsworth PS policemen who looked at it and asked for his Italian ID card (it had expired!) and they told him even though you have a foreign passport if you are Italian you have to show a valid Italian ID card to expatriate. They let him through anyway. I kept Mum but was dying to say "just try stopping him travelling".
Why was he stopped if he had a Brit passport? because he "looks Italian"? Has an "Italian" name?
Perhaps I've missed something here (again)..
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

Well in that case - regardless of how much the comune might have screwed up .... all of your sons are legit Italian citizens by birth right including son N.03.
Exactly. But son no. 3 doesn't want it. The fact that they are all Italian by birthright is exactly the reason they had to make a choice at 18, to avoid Italian national service. Bear in mind this was in the early 80's; when national service here was obligatory.The screw up meant that sons 2 & 3 were called up anyway. That is also the reason no 1. son didn't need to make the choice - his call-up year was excused military service because of the November 1980/February 1981 earthquake.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Nmah ... forget it.

Bit disappointed to learn that my (if any) grandchldren won't be british .. suppose that makes sense but not fair!
Same here Mark. My Italian born grandchildren can only become British if they go and reside in the UK for a certain length of time before they reach majority age. I did look into it, but forget the details. (Blind as a bat, deaf as a post, and daft as a brush) but I seem to remember these details are on the Embassy website.
ciao for now
'o nonno
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Why was he stopped if he had a Brit passport? because he "looks Italian"? Has an "Italian" name?
Yes, that's the first thing I thought. Yes, he does look Italian, he was chatting in Italian to his Dad, but I don't think they could have known his Italian name at that stage.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:34 am
Just Joined

aledeniz is an unknown quantity at this point

He was stopped at Pisa airport by two jobsworth PS policemen who looked at it and asked for his Italian ID card (it had expired!) and they told him even though you have a foreign passport if you are Italian you have to show a valid Italian ID card to expatriate. They let him through anyway.
They were probably hoping he was going to show them an Italian passport full of visa stamps but with no tax sticks, and throw some hefty fine on his head, I have seen similar scenes before.

The worst is anyway when someone with African or Asian ancestry show them an Italian passport or ID, and they keep asking them for the residence permit, I just keep dreaming I could fire them on the spot. I do remember a specific instance where at the fifth or sixth refusal from the citizen in question to produce a residence permit, the policeman turned around and asked to a colleague, screaming for all to hear: "ma vero è che se gli danno la carta d'identità non hanno più bisogno del permesso di soggiorno, anche se non sono veri italiani?", and I doubt he realized he may have been being racist or insulting
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Several years ago, I knew the British born son of an Italian couple who had emigrated to North Wales in the 40's to work in the mines. They had registered their son's birth at the Italian Consulate, as well as to UK registry office. When he was in his late twenties got married. Decided to visit his parent's home town of Frosinone on honeymoon. Had never ever been to Italy before, and wanted to meet his aunts, uncles, cousins etc.
When he disembarked at Ciampino he ended up like my no. 2 son; being arrested on the spot for 'renitente alla leva'. I think at the time he must have been travelling on an Italian passport; but I don't know that for sure. I do know he had a hysterical wife and a grim two days sorting it.
Did any of you see the classical b/w film 'Detenuto in attesa di giudizio' with Alberto Sordi?
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aledeniz
They were probably hoping he was going to show them an Italian passport full of visa stamps but with no tax sticks, and throw some hefty fine on his head, I have seen similar scenes before.

The worst is anyway when someone with African or Asian ancestry show them an Italian passport or ID, and they keep asking them for the residence permit, I just keep dreaming I could fire them on the spot. I do remember a specific instance where at the fifth or sixth refusal from the citizen in question to produce a residence permit, the policeman turned around and asked to a colleague, screaming for all to hear: "ma vero è che se gli danno la carta d'identità non hanno più bisogno del permesso di soggiorno, anche se non sono veri italiani?", and I doubt he realized he may have been being racist or insulting
That is just terrible. "veri italiani" . .what the heck is that supposed to mean? Plus he's just showing plain ignorance about his "job"
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:54 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

That is just terrible. "veri italiani" . .what the heck is that supposed to mean? Plus he's just showing plain ignorance about his "job"
I can't help wondering why am I shocked, but not suprised, to hear of this kind of comment
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
I can't help wondering why am I shocked, but not suprised, to hear of this kind of comment
Exactly.
Mind you - slightly OT - daughter had a 'brush' with a carabiniere the other night who stopped her when she was driving alone (in town) around midnight. Asking her all sorts of questions and making various comments ... I won't go into it. I was furious and wanted to make a complaint/report but she just said "leave it..they're all the same..".
Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:05 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.
Mind you - slightly OT - daughter had a 'brush' with a carabiniere the other night who stopped her when she was driving alone (in town) around midnight. Asking her all sorts of questions and making various comments ... I won't go into it. I was furious and wanted to make a complaint/report but she just said "leave it..they're all the same..".
Some years ago I was flagged down by the carabinieri, hadn't done anything wrong - just a routine spot check.

When they realised I wasn't Italian they asked me if I had a PdiS. I said "yes". They asked me where it was. I said "at home". They wanted to know why I didn't have it with me at all times so I said,

"I'm not obliged to carry it with me as I have an Italian Identity Card. The comune won't give you an ID card if you don't have a PdiS."

Mr bigshot replied "Signora - it is not for you to say what your obligations are or are not!" I knew it was best if I kept my mouth shut so said nothing. The two of them pretended to study all my papers for 10 minutes, then one of them gave them all back to me and just said "può andare."

Arseholes.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Just quickly going off topic, I sit on the left hand side passenger seat in our right hand drive, 9 times out of 10, when we are flagged down we get a quick "Vada, vada" when they see it's a foreign car. I have also been shouted at to "look where you're going" when sleeping in that seat while driving over a railway level crossing

Last edited by PAT M; Jul 31st 2012 at 10:14 am. Reason: can't tell my left from my right
Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:19 am

Just quickly going off topic, I sit on the left hand side passenger seat in our right hand drive, 9 times out of 10, when we are flagged down we get a quick "Vada, vada" when they see it's a foreign car. I have also been shouted at to "look where you're going" when sleeping in that seat while driving over a railway level crossing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.