Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian Citizenship with marriage

Italian Citizenship with marriage

Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: Italian Citizenship with marriage

I briefly considered getting Italian citizenship many years ago, although decided against it because I would've had to do military service..NO WAY! But yes, it would've been 'necessary' to be married it an IT.

Anyway glad I didn't because the only disadvantage now is that you can't vote in national elections / referendums but that's probbaly just as well anyway.
People are generally surprised at this but then most people are ignorant anyway.

My daughter has dual (Brit father, IT mother, born in IT) .. and although no problem dual-citizenship at birth I'm pretty sure someone told me she would have to decide at 18, but that didn't happen as I have renewed her Brit passport after that age.

The thing that gets me a bit is that she can hardly ever declare 'dual citizenship' - her carta d'identità only states italiana, as do most things.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:37 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I considered it as well when the Permesso Di Soggiorno was still in force. Citizenship would have meant that I no longer would have had to waste a full day at the questura just itching to slap the nasty bastards that work there. I didn't even have to have been married to an Italian either, just to have lived as a legal resident for 5 years.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I considered it as well when the Permesso Di Soggiorno was still in force. Citizenship would have meant that I no longer would have had to waste a full day at the questura just itching to slap the nasty bastards that work there. I didn't even have to have been married to an Italian either, just to have lived as a legal resident for 5 years.
Right . .something like that.
I'm glad I never did it though .. would've been the HUGEST mistake of my life .. and believe me I'm quite good at those.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
The thing that gets me a bit is that she can hardly ever declare 'dual citizenship' - her carta d'identità only states italiana, as do most things.
In most countries there is no such thing as dual or multiple citizenship, as far as their own nationals are concerned. If you are an Italian citizen, then the Italian government can treat you as if you were only an Italian citizen, and the UK will make no formal diplomatic representations on your behalf. This is known as the "master nationality rule", and goes back a few centuries (see the BIA link I posted earlier for more information).
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Marocco
In most countries there is no such thing as dual or multiple citizenship, as far as their own nationals are concerned. If you are an Italian citizen, then the Italian government can treat you as if you were only an Italian citizen, and the UK will make no formal diplomatic representations on your behalf. This is known as the "master nationality rule", and goes back a few centuries (see the BIA link I posted earlier for more information).
Interesting . .never seen that. Seems amazing that in this day and age we're still using a law from 1948 on such matters, but if it works then go with it I s'pose.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:03 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad I never did it though .. would've been the HUGEST mistake of my life .. and believe me I'm quite good at those.
Why such a HUGE mistake?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:07 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Which one? Citizenship or slapping the nasty bxxxxxxxxx at the questura?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Why such a HUGE mistake?
Because now with new EU rules there's hardly any reason why a European citizen should change citizenship form one state to another . .except for the political elections (see above).

Plus you lose your identity I reckon ... I love my Brit passport .. .fa figo.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Which one? Citizenship or slapping the nasty bxxxxxxxxx at the questura?
Citizenship. I'm a pacifist
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:27 pm

Because now with new EU rules there's hardly any reason why a European citizen should change citizenship form one state to another . .except for the political elections (see above).

Plus you lose your identity I reckon ... I love my Brit passport .. .fa figo.
But you wouldn't change or exchange one citizenship from another.

You'd keep your British one and gain the Italian one. You wouldn't lose your British passport either. You could have both.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

But you wouldn't change or exchange one citizenship from another.

You'd keep your British one and gain the Italian one. You wouldn't lose your British passport either. You could have both.
Ah but that's what I mean .. I was told I would have to give up the Brit for the Ital one .... Not so then?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Ah but that's what I mean .. I was told I would have to give up the Brit for the Ital one .... Not so then?
I'm getting a sense of deja vù here , Lorna will now tell you off !!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
I'm getting a sense of deja vù here , Lorna will now tell you off !!
oooh! . .can't wait!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 3:33 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Not so. Dual citizenship dates back 100yrs. However, males had to opt out at 18 if the didn't want to do national service. And if you wanted an Italian passport males had to have completed national service somewhere if they were in a certain age group -can't remember which.

In the days when we had proper British passports a mayor told me that he would be sending round the Carabinieri because I couldn't have 2citizenships. Told him he couldn't cos my passport belonged to the queen! BTW I have Italian citizenship because before 1984 (I think), it was automatic. I didn't have any say in it. Took them 10yrs to sort it out though because they made a right cock up when we married.

Last edited by 37100; Jul 30th 2012 at 3:41 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 3:34 pm

oooh! . .can't wait!

You haven't been following us properly have you?
Somebody told HadEnoughPizza the same thing and we all told her that it's a load of bollocks.

Now do try and keep up dear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.