Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian Citizenship with marriage

Italian Citizenship with marriage

Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

cuti is on a distinguished road
Default Italian Citizenship with marriage

Is anyone experience appling for Italian Citizenship by marriage?
How difficulty it was?
They said it will take about 2 years to give an answer, is anyone received before that?

Thanks
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:50 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Italian Citizenship with marriage

Originally Posted by cuti
Is anyone experience appling for Italian Citizenship by marriage?
How difficulty it was?
They said it will take about 2 years to give an answer, is anyone received before that?

Thanks
You have to be married for at least 2 years before you can even apply for citizenship through marriage.

Are you already married to an Italian?
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

cuti is on a distinguished road

I have been married to him for about 5 years.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
You have to be married for at least 2 years before you can even apply for citizenship through marriage.
According to the following website, it's 6 months if one is resident in Italy and 3 years otherwise:

http://www.consvancouver.esteri.it/C.../Cittadinanza/

According to the same website, it takes 18/24 months to process the application. However, I have heard it can take longer than that. My wife became eligible years ago but we gave up on the idea, since the process is far from straightforward.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:05 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cuti
I have been married to him for about 5 years.
Ok - then you need to go to your prefettura and ask them exactly what documents they want from you to apply for citizenship.

It won't be quick. It could take a few years.

Good luck.

http://www.interno.gov.it/mininterno...atrimonio.html
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

if you are a citizen of an EU country then applying for Italian citizenship means
giving that up but if you are a non EU citizen then you can have dual citizenship. It will take sometime and a ceremony in which you swear loyalty in font of a flag .. good luck

Last edited by HADENOUGHPIZZA; Jul 28th 2012 at 7:50 pm. Reason: too many oooo
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
if you are a citizen of an EU country then applying for Italian citizenship means
giving that up but if you are a non EU citizen then you can have dual citizenship. It will take sometime and a ceremony in which you swear loyalty in font of a flag .. good luck
Sorry - but that's total shite what you just said. We do not have to give up anything. Not 100% sure of each and every EU country, but us Brits do not give up or renounce anything. We can have dual citizenship and both passports.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - but that's total shite what you just said. We do not have to give up anything. Not 100% sure of each and every EU country, but us Brits do not give up or renounce anything. We can have dual citizenship and both passports.
It 's what I was told when I got married ! Within the EU an adult can only have one citizenship . An EU citizen has all the same rights as an Italian apart from the vote in IT political elections ? you have both ?
Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

It 's what I was told when I got married ! Within the EU an adult can only have one citizenship . An EU citizen has all the same rights as an Italian apart from the vote in IT political elections ? you have both ?
The laws on double nationality vary from country to country, even within the EU. In any case, OP is not an EU citizen.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

My eldest daughter was born in UK and we were advised to get her both UK passport + Italian Id but that at 18 she might have to choose . When I got my present job ( 2 years ago ) just after I was married I was advised not to apply for IT citizenship because it would mean giving up my Uk passport . I accept that things may well have changed since for the UK + IT .
Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:44 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest daughter was born in UK and we were advised to get her both UK passport + Italian Id but that at 18 she might have to choose . When I got my present job ( 2 years ago ) just after I was married I was advised not to apply for IT citizenship because it would mean giving up my Uk passport . I accept that things may well have changed since for the UK + IT .
Don't know who told you that Hadenough, but it is just not true! You can hold both a UK and Italian passport and things haven't changed recently.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:49 pm

It wasn't my intention to offend. You know what I'm like. I was totally surprised at the bullshit that you were told and know it is just not true. Another example of a job shit worthless person spouting crap !!!
Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

I stand corrected , I believe you and Lorna !not that I want an Italian passport anyway
Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

It wasn't my intention to offend. You know what I'm like. I was totally surprised at the bullshit that you were told and know it is just not true. Another example of a job shit worthless person spouting crap !!!
I'm not offended , takes a hell of lot more than that !
Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:55 pm

I stand corrected , I believe you and Lorna !not that I want an Italian passport anyway
I was going to get Italian citizenship when the permesso di soggiorno still existed. I knew it would be a lot of work and paperwork but it would also have meant no more PdiS and no more questura. Then the rules changed. I didn't need a PdiS anymore.

An Italian passport is cheaper than getting my UK one done with the embassy but I wasn't really that bothered. A friend of mine did apply for the citizenship. It came after more than 3 years. A little handshake and vow with the Sindaco in the Comune and that was it. Even she hasn't bothered to get an Italian passport yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.