Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian bank account

Italian bank account

Old Nov 3rd 2018, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Italian bank account

‘My concern would be trusting too much money in an Italian bank, with the current state of most of them. Personally, we only transfer enough at a time to get us through about a month’.

Italian bank deposits are covered up to €100,000 under the European deposit guarantee scheme which applies to all countries using the euro. Ultimately bank deposits are guaranteed by euro member states acting together. So if Italy can’t pay, Germany, France, Holland etc.have to compensate. If that’s not enough there could be a problem Houston.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Because the likes of CurrencyFair would cost only €3 and their rate is likely to be a lot better. Others quoted here may suit you depending on the amount...
I use the auction option to buy Euros. It sometimes takes a week to complete the purchase but I haven't experienced any problems. If you keep the total transfer value low the worst that can happen is you lose the entire amount.
I experienced some trouble transferring sterling from the UK to Fineco. They refused the transfer and deducted a substantial fee before sending the money back.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

a_grz_vr is a jewel in the rougha_grz_vr is a jewel in the rougha_grz_vr is a jewel in the rougha_grz_vr is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by modicasa
As you will be opening a nonresident accounr ( presumably) then a cf and a passport will suffice.
Hello, I printed off all of the replies in order to think about them thoroughly. Thank you to everyone for providing them.
Some things were quite tricky, especially from post number 11 onwards. I still need some time to think about them. A lot of replies are about transfer costs, and for now I want to focus on the requirements for opening the account in Italy.

Since the last time I posted, I have written a list of questions to send via email to the bank. I intended on sending the questions one at a time; after I sent the first question, the reply was an unsatisfactory "you will need to speak to a consultant here (in Italy) in one of our branches". In other words, I didn't even manage to get them to answer the FIRST question, let alone the rest of them...

***The "non resident account", as I already mentioned, also came up during my conversation via chat with the Unicredit consultant (the one who closed the chat whilst I was still writing to her...)

I want to be clear on what this is all about. I think I know, but I would prefer to avoid relying on my guessed answers.
First things first: I know there is a "resident account", and a "non resident account".
Is this anything to do with the enrollment at the town hall? (L'iscrizione anagrafica).

I'll explain more.

When I arrive in Italy, I'll look for a single room, owned by a landlord/landlady. I'll sign a contract. So I'll have an address in Italy.
I don't think however that qualifies as me being "resident". (Am I right?)

All of this leads me back to the research I did on residency at the town hall/l'iscrizione anagrafica.
The GOV website states: (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...-and-residency)
“If you’re staying more than 3 months, you must apply to your nearest town hall (Comune – Ufficio Anagrafe) for residency (iscrizione anagrafica).
"Once you’ve been resident in Italy for 5 years, you can apply to your town hall for a permanent resident certificate (attestazione/attestato di soggiorno permanente per cittadini UE)"

So I'm guessing that a resident is a foreigner who has the resident certificate/who has been officially registered via the town hall for 5 years...
Did I get that right?

If I remember correctly, the consultant via chat mentioned something about only being able to open a non resident account by going into a branch; a resident on the other hand can open an account both online or by going into a branch.
It doesn't sound like there are significant differences between being able to open one kind of account and the other...though I may be wrong (hopefully not!)
Do any differences between the two come to mind?

Thank you to anyone who is willing to answer
Old Dec 4th 2018, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

First things first: I know there is a "resident account", and a "non resident account".
Is this anything to do with the enrollment at the town hall? (L'iscrizione anagrafica).
When you get to Italy (if) you will not be resident until the Comune you apply to (if) accepts you. After 3 months you are supposed to apply (if an EU citizen). You will likely not be accepted if you don't satisfy their requirements. The latter should be your next question/research. Modi's post #3 is correct you need your CF and passport and will need to apply in person. The account will likely be more limited and more expensive, you will also likely need an Italian mobile. Friends we know were told at BCC locally last week they would not give an account to foreigners as they had problems with a few recently. This will/might tell you how things are very variable in Italy! Good luck...
Old Dec 17th 2018, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

arjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant future

Our non-resident account with UBI Banca (now changed) had no online access...
Old Dec 17th 2018, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Unicredit do nonresident account with a bancomat card and online banking, and a cheque book if you want one. Just having an address doesnt make you a resident, so you will just have to pay the extra and then convert into a resident account when you have residency - ie gone through the hoops at the anagrafe.