Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

International postal deliveries

International postal deliveries

Old Nov 12th 2021, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Default International postal deliveries

I've just come across this and thought someone here might be interested.. It seems to show problems with postal deliveries with different countries all over the world, which may be affecting your post

It's up to date. I don't know what the "delivery group" is.

https://www.thedeliverygroup.co.uk/n...livery-update/

Last edited by Sancho; Nov 12th 2021 at 8:37 am.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International postal deliveries

Letters from the UK seem to be taking about 4 weeks. Transported by mules.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 12:05 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Led by donkeys.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
I now allow a month for birthday cards sent from Italy to the UK.
I had a £250.00 + worth parcel posted to Italy from the UK last January via Royal Mail-it never arrived.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
I had a £250.00 + worth parcel posted to Italy from the UK last January via Royal Mail-it never arrived.
What a pain. I usually exchange a box of Italian food for English at the end of November but decided against it this year. Brexit the gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited by philat98; Nov 12th 2021 at 4:29 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

I should be having a small parcel sent from the UK, not commercial just a personal item. I'm tempted to skip the Royal Mail/Poste Ital. combination.
Does anyone know how the payments are calculated by the couriers in order to release parcels to the recipient, if I choose to go the courier route?
Old Nov 16th 2021, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

dreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by campos
I should be having a small parcel sent from the UK, not commercial just a personal item. I'm tempted to skip the Royal Mail/Poste Ital. combination.
Does anyone know how the payments are calculated by the couriers in order to release parcels to the recipient, if I choose to go the courier route?
Not sure how the courier calculates the tax but we received a birthday gift recently via Poste. The tax was just over half the value of the book!
Old Nov 16th 2021, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamo
Not sure how the courier calculates the tax but we received a birthday gift recently via Poste. The tax was just over half the value of the book!
Jeez!
If personal items are sent via post does the sender have to assign a monetary value to the contents? Even if the item isn't a gift, does a 'gift' box need to be ticked in absence of an alternative, and it not being 'commercial' or similar?

I came across this Poste Ital page on duty and taxes payable. Not sure from this how the duty on the book was calculated..
https://www.poste.it/costo-sdoganame...ni-estero.html

Customs-
https://www.adm.gov.it/portale/en/-/spedizioni-posta

Last edited by campos; Nov 16th 2021 at 8:43 am. Reason: link added
Old Nov 18th 2021, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just got a bank statement dated 2 October . At that speed it is too late to send Xmas cards.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you have to tick gift or something, otherwise they will think its for commercial use. For stuff coming into Italy the dogana will add IVA and the dazio which depends on what is being sent. Ive just brought over some family keepsakes - old stuff, sentimental value and had to pay 22% on it all, plus the dazio for 'antiques' and 'works of art' which exceeds their value. Its the gift that keeps on giving......

To send stuff from Italy to UK - its the same - if its worth under £39 and its a gift then no customs duties, but VAT payable on gifts and everything unless its over £135. Customs duties are

Customs Duty

You’ll be charged Customs Duty on all goods sent from outside the UK (or the UK and the EU if you’re in Northern Ireland) if they’re either:
  • excise goods
  • worth more than £135
If you’re charged Customs Duty, you’ll need to pay it on both:
  • the price paid for the goods
  • postage, packaging and insurance
Type and value of goods Customs Duty Non-excise goods worth £135 or less No charge Gifts above £135 and up to £630 2.5%, but rates are lower for some goods - call the helpline Gifts above £630 and other goods above £135 The rate depends on the type of goods and where they came from - call the helplineYou pay Customs Duty on excise goods of any value.

Last edited by modicasa; Nov 19th 2021 at 5:00 am.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

The first link I posted above seems to mean the limit of €45 applies before taxes etc are demanded ,if sent from private individual to same.
I see on the UK form CN22B customs declaration one can tick a box 'Other' as well as gift. Not sure if this could get round any duties due.
Sending instructions - https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...ZmR1FRJTIxJTIx

form CN22B - https://www.royalmail.com/sites/roya...rm-example.pdf
Old Dec 12th 2021, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

FWIW, i posted an xmas card to uk on 22 Nov and it arrived 3 days ago.
On the other hand I'm still waiting for a small parcel posted on 19 Nov from uk to italy.

Last edited by campos; Dec 12th 2021 at 8:06 am.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by campos
FWIW, i posted an xmas card to uk on 22 Nov and it arrived 3 days ago.
On the other hand I'm still waiting for a small parcel posted on 19 Nov from uk to italy.
I had a similar experience. On Friday a letter arrived dated 3 Nov and an Xmas card that took 3 days.