Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Info wanted on Tuscan move on children's playgroups and education!!

Info wanted on Tuscan move on children's playgroups and education!!

Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:05 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info wanted on Tuscan move on children's playgroups and education!!

John, I have a good friend who is now over in Le Marche but she lived in Lucca for many years and I believe found the people in the centre to be like you describe them. She loves the town and does still have some good friends there but was glad to move away. She is also an American. She has been in Italy on and off most of her life and does like it here, but understands it has it's moments...She tells me it is endemic of Lucca, the Florentines are supposed to be closed but the Luccese are worse, she lived in both towns. I know a huge group of expats who live in that area - they meet regularly in one of the central bars for Pub quizzes!! Maybe you should connect with them - at least you would have language friendly ears to chew. My daughter has been in the Italian school system from the get go (we are completely English speaking as a family) and I think that has helped with her being accepted. Also there are alot of mixed race, other nationalities at her school and many of the parents also work in the tourist industry in Florence so I think they are generally more accepting of those of us that have provided their bread and butter at some point!! They also see me and my other English speaking friends with children there as an opportunity not a threat..The more I hear about other cities, areas of Italy though the more I think that Florence is just a one off anyway....