Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Independent financial advisor in Italy

Independent financial advisor in Italy

Old May 28th 2019, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Independent financial advisor in Italy

‘Not in Umbria because it is 15c and raining’ ......☹️

Well for Freddie Mac, wherever he is.....

An investment of €10000 10years ago into a straightforward (not particularly adventurous) European equity ‘tracker’ fund would now be worth something like €22500 today. (after all fees, dividends reinvested). Tax at say 26% worst case, the after tax return is 92.5%. Match that you ‘tax efficient insurance bond’....

Last edited by Capo Boi; May 28th 2019 at 6:58 pm.
Old May 28th 2019, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
‘Not in Umbria because it is 15c and raining’ ......☹️

Well for Freddie Mac, wherever he is.....

An investment of €10000 10years ago into a straightforward (not particularly adventurous) European equity ‘tracker’ fund would now be worth something like €22500 today. (after all fees, dividends reinvested). Tax at say 26% worst case, the return is 92.5%.

Where would you invest your money now Capoboi? Gold?
Old May 28th 2019, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

Hello philat.

As an Italian would say, ‘Boh’.

Just go by your instinct. If it doesn’t feel right err on the side of caution. Ask questions and trust your gut.

I am going to stop now because I’m even boring myself. I was just trying to make the point that many many insurance bonds advertised as tax efficient or whatever are incredibly bad value and their returns do not remotely stand up compared to bog standard taxable funds. The phrase ‘Where are the customer’s yachts?’ Comes to mind.

Last edited by Capo Boi; May 28th 2019 at 7:31 pm.
Old May 28th 2019, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

For all that I don't think the OP would lose anything by having a chat with Gareth. He told me a few things about paying tax in Italy that came in useful when an awful Italian accountant did my first tax return.
Old May 29th 2019, 9:40 am
Just Joined

max1100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or his funds have performed outstandingly that he is now sitting under an umbrella enjoying his first, second, third cocktail of the day. Or not.......
I hope so for him!
Old May 29th 2019, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by philat98
For all that I don't think the OP would lose anything by having a chat with Gareth. He told me a few things about paying tax in Italy that came in useful when an awful Italian accountant did my first tax return.
I agree. Thank you. Although there must be someone who actually has some (hopefully positive) experience with a specific IFA

Old May 29th 2019, 9:53 am
Just Joined

I was just trying to make the point that many many insurance bonds advertised as tax efficient or whatever are incredibly bad value and their returns do not remotely stand up compared to bog standard taxable funds. The phrase ‘Where are the customer’s yachts?’ Comes to mind.

Sorry Capo Boi, can I ask why it is that ?
I had read about them (as a "more tax efficient" alternative - once Italian resident - to the UK ISA Stock and Share accounts), but I need to read more in depth!
Thank you

Last edited by max1100; May 29th 2019 at 9:55 am.
Old May 29th 2019, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello Max,

it it all comes down to the spectacular fees and charges of these products which almost without exception negate any tax benefits. For example, Prudential International Investment Portfolio (ie a set of managed funds from one of the world’s biggest, strongest and most visible insurance companies) quote in their fact sheet a reduction of yield (RIY) between 10.69% and 22.82% in year 1, 9.72% to 18.28% by year 5 and 12.63% to 21.41% by year 10. Now the Prudential’s own management charges are maybe 2 to 3% so where is the rest of the RIY going to?

Good luck...Just ask any advisor you use how much they actually are being paid by the insurance company used and then make up your mind. And by the way, I am FSA registered since essentialy the start of registration (now dormant but my name is there) and not passported under the EU.

I am definitely going to finish now. (Until I start on QROPS).....Maybe not.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Capo Boi; May 29th 2019 at 12:37 pm.
Old May 29th 2019, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for your very useful explanation! I will not bother you again Thank you
Old Jun 4th 2019, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Otto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Struggling to see any investment licences for this firm-only a branch of an insurance intermediary.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Otto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Otto The Squid
Struggling to see any investment licences for this firm-only a branch of an insurance intermediary.
Okay, answered my own question as it is written on their website. So, investment advice comes with an insurance product in all cases then. How are they tax efficient in a pension?

All financial planning advice is provided using and within Insurance contracts that can be highly tax efficient in Europe. Investment Management services within the Insurance Contracts are provided by Investment Management Institutions. Spectrum’s role is to provide the Insurance Intermediation advice and to assist clients in their choice of Investment Management Institution
Old Jun 4th 2019, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Interesting question Otto. I have been reading a bit about insurance policies, after Capo Boi's input, and I have a few doubts too about this type of insurances.