Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Import tax on items purchased from UK.

Import tax on items purchased from UK.

Old Nov 26th 2021, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Import tax on items purchased from UK.

Recently had some reading glasses delivered from China. Cost €5 and had to pay €2 import tax?! Also bought a 2nd hand book from UK on Ebay, cost was £13 + £3p&p, this arrived with no added fees.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Sometimes you can't beat the British High st.Reading glasses a quid in Poundland and 2nd hand books 50p in charity shops.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian12
Sometimes you can't beat the British High st.Reading glasses a quid in Poundland and 2nd hand books 50p in charity shops.
How does Italy manage without charity shops? In the UK its about every second shop.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by philat98
How does Italy manage without charity shops? In the UK its about every second shop.
LOL,our daughter paid 25 quid for Ant Middleton's latest book a couple of years ago.A week later I bought one for 1 quid,she was gutted.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
My recent UK visit charity shop book trawl was rather rewarding. You can often find similar prices on abebooks and biblio but then postage is added, which still isn't to high in the uk, but too Italy it is a bit riskier now, re. Import payments.

Last edited by campos; Nov 26th 2021 at 10:36 am.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

It also depends where you go.We live in the Romford area,more working class.A charity shop in posher parts is like comparing Harrods to Primark with prices.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 10:50 am
Just Joined

SY108 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
I think Modicasa give a good explanation of the situation in this recent post here on the forum.

Thank you for the link, the information was useful and on that thread also showed the confusion of the system where there are different thresholds mentioned before duty is added. Its seems that everyone is trying to use the lowest figure on the value to charge a fee and add VAT or DUTY depending on the item.
We recently shifted our online searches to Ireland as anything coming from there is considered same as mainland Europe (pre Bexit).
So our recent orders of woollen jumpers, scarves etc direct from the Mills were not only great value but arrived in 7 days from placing the order.

I asked this question as we were looking at buying spectacles online, hard to find mainland European Online stores.. So we ended up with Select specs in the UK.
After several emails and verification they finally wrote yesterday and assured they are part of the IOSS register.
See attachment if their email .

I have not yet checked if there is an online register of companies to verify where we can start online shopping at places on the register..

However there are clear limits of value to be under 150 Euro per shipment to be exempt from any duty if they are on this register and use their registration number on the outside of the package.

Hope this helps.

Old Nov 26th 2021, 10:57 am
Just Joined

SY108 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by modicasa
My recent experience shows this. To send a box via UPS with a value of 400 euros, cost me £156. It arrived and I paid 242 euros customs and excise. So the same to send as the value. It would be cheaper to buy air tickets for someone and pay for the suitcase.
As regards Amazon/Ebay I dont know how it works. I just bought a cable for £2.50 (weighs 100gr) which would cost £23.40 to send from UK to Italy. They seem totally arbitrary figures.
We Currently search for online stores based in Ireland as this functions just like pre Brexit.
I know its not possible to get all the goods form the UK from Ireland. However one online retailer of spectacles informed me of the EU IOSS register.
This may account for the various threshold figures which have been mention on this thread.
See the attachment as it shows goods valued less than 150 Euros and shipped by a seller under the IOSS register are exempt from duty.

Hope this helps.
I have not yet found a register of companies who are already IOSS compliant..

Old Nov 26th 2021, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SY108
We Currently search for online stores based in Ireland as this functions just like pre Brexit.
I know its not possible to get all the goods form the UK from Ireland. However one online retailer of spectacles informed me of the EU IOSS register.
I bought something from Twinings and I was surprised that it was shipped from Belfast. I wonder if Amazon will open an EU sales operation in NI?
Old Nov 27th 2021, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by brian12
It also depends where you go.We live in the Romford area,more working class.A charity shop in posher parts is like comparing Harrods to Primark with prices.
I used to catch the 376 bus from Chadwell on Saturdays to go to Romford market. It was a day out for us. Loved the stall with the cheese rolls and cup of tea!
Old Nov 27th 2021, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pugliese
I used to catch the 376 bus from Chadwell on Saturdays to go to Romford market. It was a day out for us. Loved the stall with the cheese rolls and cup of tea!
Chadwell St Mary,I thought of Chadwell Heath at first then saw Tilbury under your avatar.We're in Hornchurch.Loads of different food stalls now at Romford market.I remember when it was a livestock market when I was a kid.Cheers,Brian.
Old Nov 29th 2021, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ut-in-the-cold
Worth a read as to why your post takes weeks or no longer arrives....
Old Nov 29th 2021, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by modicasa
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ut-in-the-cold
Worth a read as to why your post takes weeks or no longer arrives....
Funny that Which found only 1 person who understood the rules. I remember Gove saying Brexit just meant more paperwork. Good opportunities for business in Northern Ireland if the rules stay the same.

Last edited by philat98; Nov 29th 2021 at 7:44 am.