Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

ID cards for babies

Wikiposts

ID cards for babies

Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future
Default Re: ID cards for babies

Do you actually have to have an ID card for babies though? We only got one because my daughter doesn't yet have a passport (which will be a British one, when I get round to it!) If we leave Italy, will we legally have to keep updating her Italian ID or can we forget about it?

By the way there has been some debate on this forum about whether or not your child can travel just with the ID card if it doesn't have the parents' names written on it. My daughter's doesn't, and we always take along a certificato di nascita too.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:35 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K in Modena
Do you actually have to have an ID card for babies though? We only got one because my daughter doesn't yet have a passport (which will be a British one, when I get round to it!) If we leave Italy, will we legally have to keep updating her Italian ID or can we forget about it?

By the way there has been some debate on this forum about whether or not your child can travel just with the ID card if it doesn't have the parents' names written on it. My daughter's doesn't, and we always take along a certificato di nascita too.
Nobody is legally obliged to have an ID card.
Most Italians think they are just because most of them have one.

If you leave Italy you can forget about the ID card when it expires if you want to. There is no law that says you always have to get another one.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Nobody is legally obliged to have an ID card.
Most Italians think they are just because most of them have one.

If you leave Italy you can forget about the ID card when it expires if you want to. There is no law that says you always have to get another one.
Thanks Lorna. I could just imagine us being stuck in Italian bureaucracy for ever more! Like the way you have to keep sticking tax stamps on Italian passports. Good to know!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

MissSP is on a distinguished road

You don't have to have one but we were made to understand by the Comune that children can no longer be added to parents ID cards or passports. We only got him an ID card because we were waiting for his British passport. We lived in Como so were always over into Switzerland and without an ID if we were stopped it would have been a problem.

One recent laugh at passport control leaving Italy was when I travelled alone with my son, both with British passports. I was stopped by the Customs officer who enquired whether I was the mother (!!!!) and where was my son's ID card. I said that as I was British we were both using our British passports and therefore I hadn't got his ID card with me. He said this was a big mistake and that my son should always use his Italian ID when leaving Italy. Has anyone else heard of this, because I just smiled sweetly and thought "muppet" to myself?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 11:54 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's been mentioned on this forum somewhere that Italians who have dual nationality should or must use their Italian IDs when entering/leaving Italy.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

MissSP is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by duffer
Yes it's been mentioned on this forum somewhere that Italians who have dual nationality should or must use their Italian IDs when entering/leaving Italy.
Is this still the case if you don't live in Italy anymore?
Old Oct 16th 2012, 3:40 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissSP
Is this still the case if you don't live in Italy anymore?
Yes it is. An Italian national must by law use their Italian doc to enter or leave Italy regardless of residency. Does everyone do it? I that not.

Another thing a lot of people seem to forgot is that, for travel within the EU you do not need a 'bollo' on your passport.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 37100
Yes it is. An Italian national must by law use their Italian doc to enter or leave Italy regardless of residency. Does everyone do it? I that not.

Another thing a lot of people seem to forgot is that, for travel within the EU you do not need a 'bollo' on your passport.
There you go, we will be stuck in Italian bureaucracy for ever more!
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

My babbalino has a british passport, because he was born in England and needed it to get to Italy when we came back here. He got the ID card, just because OH wanted him to have one, no particular reason, but it was very quick ad easy and cheap to do (gosh, something miles cheaper to do than in England!).
We have travelled quite a lot back and forth to England and he has always used his UK passport, with no problems or questions from Italian passport control, even though he has his very Italian name and my passport is still in my maiden name. I sometimes get quizzed on something about DS's passport, like his DOB when I get to U passport control.
I'm travelling to England next week actually and have to fill in the check in online with out travel document info.. should I then use his Italian ID card, and for the return journey back to Italy, might there be any problems if he is not using his UK passport? Could I be questioned more at the UK side if I am travelling on a UK passport with a foreign child?
I dread to think that i'd be hit with a load of check in charges if I use what they consider the wrong ID for DS... I'm travelling with Ryanair after all, so any excuse for them to get money of of us...
Old Oct 16th 2012, 7:57 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballerina
My babbalino has a british passport, because he was born in England and needed it to get to Italy when we came back here. He got the ID card, just because OH wanted him to have one, no particular reason, but it was very quick ad easy and cheap to do (gosh, something miles cheaper to do than in England!).
We have travelled quite a lot back and forth to England and he has always used his UK passport, with no problems or questions from Italian passport control, even though he has his very Italian name and my passport is still in my maiden name. I sometimes get quizzed on something about DS's passport, like his DOB when I get to U passport control.
I'm travelling to England next week actually and have to fill in the check in online with out travel document info.. should I then use his Italian ID card, and for the return journey back to Italy, might there be any problems if he is not using his UK passport? Could I be questioned more at the UK side if I am travelling on a UK passport with a foreign child?
I dread to think that i'd be hit with a load of check in charges if I use what they consider the wrong ID for DS... I'm travelling with Ryanair after all, so any excuse for them to get money of of us...
I've/we've been given a slap on the wrist a couple of times for not using Italian ID. BTW Always Malpensa. No big deal. I wouldn't worry about it one bit. The only big hiccup I've ever had was in Brussels -yrs ago! Nearly missed my connection because an over zealous customs/border guard didn't like the fact that I had a different surname from my kids!
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:37 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballerina
I've been backwards and forwards loads of times with Ryanair and my kids. Me with my British passport and them with Italian ID cards. Nobody on the UK side has ever stopped us or asked why we have different surnames or asked if the kids have a British passport or why they don't have one.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

I travel from Pisa airport, and I have to say (touch wood) they always seem pretty relaxed compared to East Midlands, who make me open and taste loads of baby food and milk in cartons, which i can't reseal again (i've learnt my lesson on that one now though). I have bought tons of stuff you aren't supposed to in my hand luggage and they never bat an eyelid at Pisa, even hide a load more luggage in the bottom of the pushchair and they aren't bothered about it!
Old Oct 18th 2012, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Ever so slightly off topic but I've just been asked for a certificato di residenza storico .... apparently it tells you not only where you live but since when ..
didn't even know it existed.

Old Oct 18th 2012, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

That's Italy for you .. there's always a new document to collect
Old Oct 18th 2012, 4:49 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Ever so slightly off topic but I've just been asked for a certificato di residenza storico .... apparently it tells you not only where you live but since when ..
didn't even know it existed.

Yeah, they do them for stato di famiglia and cittadinanza too But my favorite has to be 'certificato di esistenza in vita'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.