Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

How to find property to rent in Italy?

How to find property to rent in Italy?

Old Jun 24th 2019, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Magukat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to find a property to rent in Italy?

How do you look for a property for an annual rent in Italy?

There seems to be hundreds of real estate agents in every area and thus there should be a lot of properties, but the websites-aggregators like idealista/casa/TrovaCasa don't have expected choice + most of the published ones are very dated + a lot of repeats(the same property published several times). Leaving aside the poor quality of the photos attached
So thinking that maybe it's not common for the agents to market their properties via aggregators, I've decided to look up agent's websites and to my surprise found that vast majority has terrible UI (designed all back in 90???) and every agency have just a few properties listed, so it's a waste of time trying to look through the agencies one by one ....

So my question is: are italians renting mostly on a black market or use private estate agents? How did you find your property?

Thank you

Last edited by Magukat; Jun 24th 2019 at 5:31 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 4:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find property to rent in Italy?

Originally Posted by Magukat
How do you look for a property for an annual rent in Italy?

There seems to be hundreds of real estate agents in every area and thus there should be a lot of properties, but the websites-aggregators like idealista/casa/TrovaCasa don't have expected choice + most of the published ones are very dated + a lot of repeats(the same property published several times). Leaving aside the poor quality of the photos attached
So thinking that maybe it's not common for the agents to market their properties via aggregators, I've decided to look up agent's websites and to my surprise found that vast majority has terrible UI (designed all back in 90???) and every agency have just a few properties listed, so it's a waste of time trying to look through the agencies one by one ....

So I question is: are italians renting mostly on a black market or use private estate agents? How did you find your property?

Thank you
Fed up with France already?
Old Jun 25th 2019, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

LEtting properties for an agency is a waste of time and money. Most people let their properties privately, using sites like subito or kijiji or one of the many facebook pages . vendo compro, affitti plus name of town. Good properties let immediately, the stuff noone wants ends up in agencies.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Magukat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by modicasa
... kijiji or one of the many facebook pages . vendo compro, affitti plus name of town. Good properties let immediately, the stuff noone wants ends up in agencies.
Thank you for the reply, very helpful. Now it all makes sense

Old Jun 25th 2019, 10:04 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magukat
Thank you for the reply, very helpful. Now it all makes sense
in Rome a lot of the renting was done through friends and family and extended network such as sports clubs. Walking the ground was better than any agency web site. I ended up in an apart hotel for 2 months before I found anything decent. I agre with modicasa that stuff on the web sites was the dregs.