Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

How did you meet you meet your significant other?

How did you meet you meet your significant other?

Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:04 am
Just Joined

jenninitaly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How did you meet you meet your significant other?

Originally Posted by sands
Lorna this touched a chord with me. I met my oh on an internet site - after having gone out with a lot of no hopers I decided to go for broke and thought it would be a good idea to try and get to know about someone slowly and in my own time on the computer, rather than the usual fatal attraction scenarios I would go for, providing they weren't telling porkies on the site of course! I found that we had such a lot in common and my interest was definitely piqued, plus him living in another country didn't put me off in any way as I've lived all over the place anyway. At the same time, my darling grandmother started to have these awful mini strokes - she was the closest person to me as my mum and dad are both deceased - and I was going through an awful time with it all.

I cancelled a meeting with hubby -he was going to come over and we were to meet at last but I put it off as I was too worried about my gran. Hubby was the most understanding and sympathetic person I've ever known and immediately a stronger bond was formed as we had bad times before the good so to speak. She died shortly before we finally met and he is always supportive about my loss, and understands now about the Jewish custom of lighting a candle at the anniversary of a loved one's death, in fact, even making sure I had one on hand this last time!
Sands. it sounds like you have a keeper there. He sounds like a really good guy. Thanks for sharing...
Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ballerina
I agree and since I would probably never had made it in Italy without having met tons of cyberguys/potential significant others (sad, but true) I think it is very relevant! a few years ago when i was working in London, tryign to save to get to italy, a friend in milan told me about a website where I could meet 'lots of interesting and good looking boys' (he knew I liked italian guys!) so he introduced me to the cheesiest, but actually most helpful tool in my moving to italy! I was bombarded with messages (and i reiterate as before, I am NOT a stunner, i think italian guys probably just like to fling their nets as far as possible when it comes to meeting girls), and I had guys fly me over to milan and rome just for dinner! (well probably not 'just' for dinner, you know? but i maintained my british reservedness, just to let you know eheh). Anyway, to get back to the point, I met tons of people who I have stayed in contact with who were absolutely essential in helping me move to Italy, settle in, find work, find apartments.. find romance! But my significant other now, I met him the usual english way.. in the Nag's Head pub!
Hi ballerina - it sounds like you had a lot of fun! And as women, we tend to be super critical of ourselves - I am sure you are more of a stunner than you think.

So does this mean your guy is not Italian?
Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Patty
Lorna and Sands - your stories have made me cry ....(dont worry I'm a soppy sentimental nit and I think I have PMT at the mo ) but its so sad and makes me think of my dear old mum who is nearly 80 and I just dont get to see her enough - it makes me very sad. (sorry went off thread here didnt mean to )

Anyway - mine isnt a very romantic story - my OH came to my island to learn English (1980) and we both worked in the same hotel - we kept sort of exchanging glances over the sweet trolley ....and then one night at the disco he finally asked me for the slow dance (remember those were the days when the blokes would wait for the smoochy number and then hone in on all the girls ) A few months later he left to return to Italy and I was gutted and thought he'd just go off and forget me ....instead he asked me to join him when he got something sorted out. I wasn't sure whether to believe him - but after a few months of love letters (remember this was before the internet and mobiles ) and phone calls - sure enough I got on a plane and flew to Milan. We lived together a few years and got married in 1986 in Milan in the snow

Hmm, getting on a plane and leaving your island, moving for love and getting married in the snow sounds very romantic to me! thanks for sharing...
Old Jun 1st 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

beany71 will become famous soon enoughbeany71 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: How did you meet you meet your significant other?

Thanks Jenninitaly,

Life is very starnge and since I have turned thirty and stopped worrying about people and how i look so much it has got so much more interesting....... god to think in my 20s i was out all the time worried constantly about men and how i appeared I am sure I was obnocsious!! spellin hasny changed still terrible. Any way I am here in Sicily with a great friend and thank god for her as since my man has gone to London the evenings are really tough sometimes.... but I have found a great man and that is worth so much heh.

Good luck to all
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:02 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenninitaly
Hi Lorna, one just never knows when they will meet the love of their life. Great story!
yeah I know ...
I am rather cynical and not a great believer in fate and destiny etc. but it is true that if I had gone back to the UK that Christmas like I always had before I never would have bumped into him.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

sands will become famous soon enough

And I'm still worshipping the God of Internet
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

beany71 will become famous soon enoughbeany71 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: How did you meet you meet your significant other?

Good for you "sands" worship away...... however dont forget to look at the sun once in a while hey..lol
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jenninitaly
Hi ballerina - it sounds like you had a lot of fun! And as women, we tend to be super critical of ourselves - I am sure you are more of a stunner than you think.

So does this mean your guy is not Italian?
Hiya, my man is very very italian.. we just met in what i'd consider a very very english way, half cut in the pub near the end of the night! And i'm sorry that my story is not so romantic but the romance factor has definitely upped it's level since our meeting (thank god. we were in the pub yesterday and his friend asked me if i would have kids and bring them up in la spezia -they are both south italian and said they wouldn't want a family here - butwe got onto the subject of names, and I said that if my fella wasn't called francesco, i wouldn't have been sitting there with him now.. we first got chatting when he asked me to join him outside while he smoked a fag and i said 'only because you have the same name as francesco totti'. ohhhhhhh. but i was very ver ver drunk, that is my excuse for such a poor line!)
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future

and bring them up in la spezia )
Hang on a mo, are you in spezia?!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

I am at the mo, my boyfriend lives up here and I live in Rome, but i'm on holiday since i lost my job last week! Wish the shops would bloody open during the day though becuase it is pretty boring! nice view from the window though..
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future

oh right yeah i remember a while back you saying your boyf was here. so is he in the navy? you planning on sticking around?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

yep, he is a sailor! but he can't tie knots and he doesn't even work on the ship! he is at work now. I have been thinking of staying here all summer but i have to give 2 months notice on my place in rome.. and heading back to england in sept. but i'm coming back and i'll stay wherever he has to stay.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

yep, he is a sailor! but he can't tie knots and he doesn't even work on the ship! he is at work now. I have been thinking of staying here all summer but i have to give 2 months notice on my place in rome.. and heading back to england in sept. but i'm coming back and i'll stay wherever he has to stay.
yep been there done that ballerina. What we do for lurrrve hey. its not easy at times being with a navy guy. it just depends on where they are sent and how much notice you get. My man was an officer for 22 years until march when he gave in his notice and we are headed to the uk now. Sands man is alos a navy guy. You need any pointers for work or whatever private messeage me girl. Us navy wives have to stick together!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

thanks! we both have our fingers crossed that we will win the lottery, never have to work again and can live on a yacht in the summer while george the butler looks after the mansion (his idea) in england, where we will be aristocrats lol but part time work could come in useful! in the meantime, if you knwo of any pubs in la spezia, let me know! I am so sick of the Mamma bar! (can't believe there is a bar called Mamma, but that's italy for you i suppose!)

ok sorry, off topic..!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

thanks! we both have our fingers crossed that we will win the lottery, never have to work again and can live on a yacht in the summer while george the butler looks after the mansion (his idea) in england, where we will be aristocrats lol but part time work could come in useful! in the meantime, if you knwo of any pubs in la spezia, let me know! I am so sick of the Mamma bar! (can't believe there is a bar called Mamma, but that's italy for you i suppose!)

ok sorry, off topic..!
yeah there is an irish pub and a german pub. they are very close to each other. i cant remember the name of the road but near the sea fornt end of corso cavour, just before zara, off towards via amendola an not via prione, on a street that crosses corso cavour basically, there are these 2 pubs. well, i say pubs but you know what i mean. still, the irish one a few years ago was as close to a pub i have seen here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.