Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

How did you meet you meet your significant other?

How did you meet you meet your significant other?

Old May 28th 2008, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

jenninitaly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How did you meet you meet your significant other?

Hi there,

Since meeting my lovely Italian guy, I was wondering how people here met their significant others?

Our story is a good one, I think. I was sitting at home waiting for a girl in my group to submit here part of an assignment online - I was getting frustrated as the assignment had to be in by midnight. I was also flying home to Mississippi the next day and was just waiting around. From no where, this guy messaged me on Yahoo messenger. I NEVER talk to people I don't know and always ignore them. Something about his photo and screen name caught my eye and I hesitantly said hello back to him. We chatted for hours! It turns out he was bored as his aunts, uncles and parents were in the next room getting ready for Christmas..so we kept each other company. I had a 10 hour layover in an empty Amsterdam airport on my way back from Mississippi to the UK and I saw him on Yahoo when I logged on to my computer whilst drinking Coronas alone in an airport bar - As one does when alone in AMS on New Year's Day in an empty airport. We again talked for hours via chat and on the phone the next day. From that day on we spoke on the phone every single day for about 2 hours a day. We have been together since then and keep our relationship going by seeing each other every 2 weeks or so (Thank God for Ryanair!).

What is your story?

I look forward to hearing, .

J
Old May 29th 2008, 1:39 am
Just Joined

wavetravel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How did you meet you meet your significant other?

Awww... what a real moving cyber love story. It's like a Meg Ryan movie... You Got Mail.
Old May 29th 2008, 6:26 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Another thread that is not really relevent to Italy and should really be posted in "The Lounge forum"
They are not really helpfull to people logging in looking for info on Italy.
I put a sticky at the top of the page for posts like this and "Sugar Sandwhiches" etc to be put in and if it was used enough I will ask admin if they will put a sub forum in for you.
Old May 29th 2008, 8:37 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Another thread that is not really relevent to Italy and should really be posted in "The Lounge forum"
They are not really helpfull to people logging in looking for info on Italy.
I put a sticky at the top of the page for posts like this and "Sugar Sandwhiches" etc to be put in and if it was used enough I will ask admin if they will put a sub forum in for you.
In my defence the Sugar Sandwiches thread was started before the Happy Hour sticky - and it did have some small reference to Italy in that it was asking what other crazy or wacky kids' food people might have come across in Italy - like a 10 foot long piece of ciabatta bread spread with Nutella.

As ex-pats that are actually living here does everything Italian we talk about have to be on a "let's be helpful" line like how to get your electricity connected ?
Some people might just want to know what day to day living in Italy is really like ....even if it includes the more mundane stuff.
Old May 29th 2008, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

I agree and since I would probably never had made it in Italy without having met tons of cyberguys/potential significant others (sad, but true) I think it is very relevant! a few years ago when i was working in London, tryign to save to get to italy, a friend in milan told me about a website where I could meet 'lots of interesting and good looking boys' (he knew I liked italian guys!) so he introduced me to the cheesiest, but actually most helpful tool in my moving to italy! I was bombarded with messages (and i reiterate as before, I am NOT a stunner, i think italian guys probably just like to fling their nets as far as possible when it comes to meeting girls), and I had guys fly me over to milan and rome just for dinner! (well probably not 'just' for dinner, you know? but i maintained my british reservedness, just to let you know eheh). Anyway, to get back to the point, I met tons of people who I have stayed in contact with who were absolutely essential in helping me move to Italy, settle in, find work, find apartments.. find romance! But my significant other now, I met him the usual english way.. in the Nag's Head pub!
Old May 30th 2008, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

beany71 will become famous soon enoughbeany71 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: How did you meet you meet your significant other?

Hi all,

Mine is quite a good story of how I met my man..... A year ago I was working in the french alps and one night when alone and drunk (i might add) in my apartment I thought "sod it" I am going to sign onto a match site.

So I did and got the usual winks and nonsense.. guys that were twice the age of me and guys that could not speak english but insisted they were Anyhow I got a wink fron an engineer in England and he looked really nice and his profile made sense to me So we started talking which led to phoning and then one day when I was skiing.. I was with my freinds havin a drink in a mountain bar and I thought god this lovely I am sure he would love to see this too?? So I txtd him and the next minute got a txt back sayin he would book a flight to Geneva at the weekend Shocked yes but thrilled at the same time that someone would do that.
The weekend aririved and I drove 2 hours to pick him up in geneva .... I have to say its a strange scenario meeting someone you only talked to before at an airport of all places.... however we seemed to click and on the drive home chatted shyly (which is sayin somethin for blabber gob here) that night we had a romantic meal in mountain restaurant by the fire and as first dates go it was fantastic... we fell for each other then i think and you could say maybe love at first sight he stayed in my apartment and was a real gent ( I cant say the same for being shy at this point though) The next day we went to beautiful Annecy by the lake and had a great day out and then he went home. We stayed intouch everyday but I was going to work back in Italy and he was a engineer so it was impossible really.

I went to Sorrento and after 1 month of talking decided that we couldnt stand it any longer and that we would get together properly.

I flew back to the Uk and Stayed with him for a while and I have to say that those few months were some of the most perfect and ones I cherish.

However I missed Italy and after getting a very good job near Liverpool that I hated, one night he said "why dont we both just give it up and sod off to Italy" I couldnt believe it and after much stress we are here in Sicily and have started our own Travel agency. It feels great and I am so happy.

The funni thing is though and this is for everyone ....... If I had not been drunk and signed on that night I would not of met Rob.. If I had not have come back from Italy and tried to make it work I dont think we would ber here now. Isnt life strange guys Anyway here we are in sunni Sicily and i have to say all though he is doing a job back in London at the moment I am the happiest girl and I hope he is happy to.

Cheers and heres to the future long my syber space rein!!!!!!!!
a
Old May 30th 2008, 8:46 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I met my Italian OH on Christmas Day.
It was before the days of cheap flight companies when a flight home to UK cost me between 600 and 700 hundred thousand Lira (always around the £200 mark anyway).
My cousin had got married the previous July and I had told everybody that if I went back for the big family wedding I wouldn't be able to afford to go back at Christmas time too.
Some Italian friends organised Christmas dinner in their mountain house. 12 people were invited for the dinner - each one of us made a different dish and took a bottle or two as well. Lots more people were invited to join us in the evening (the people that felt obliged to spend Christmas Day with parents) and it turned into a fantastic party.
My OH was also one of the people invited for the meal and we spent quite a lot of time chatting to each other but like you do - people move around the table afterwards and I spoke a bit to everybody. Later in the evening everyone was dancing and drinking and we ended up having a bit of a dance together that ended in a nice kiss.
The next day an English girlfriend of mine arrived to stay for a week in my little bedsit - so even though I saw a lot of Max (Massimo) we didn't 'get it on' that week as she was sharing my bed and my life. There were always loads of people coming and going in my little flat as not many people lived by themselves so Max got to meet a lot of my other friends that week too - and got on with all of them.
We got on like a house on fire and the first two months flew by. The only big downer was that my beloved Granny died in the beginning of March and I was distraught. The last time I ever saw her was at my cousin's wedding - which looking back now was not so bad as it was a happy occasion and everyone was dressed up with hats etc. I have a beautiful photo of Granny and me together taken at the wedding reception which is framed and on a wall in my house. She says 'hello' to me everyday. I flew back immediately for the funeral. Max took me to the airport and took an afternoon off work to pick me up again when I returned and we have never looked back.
Old May 30th 2008, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

sands will become famous soon enough

Lorna this touched a chord with me. I met my oh on an internet site - after having gone out with a lot of no hopers I decided to go for broke and thought it would be a good idea to try and get to know about someone slowly and in my own time on the computer, rather than the usual fatal attraction scenarios I would go for, providing they weren't telling porkies on the site of course! I found that we had such a lot in common and my interest was definitely piqued, plus him living in another country didn't put me off in any way as I've lived all over the place anyway. At the same time, my darling grandmother started to have these awful mini strokes - she was the closest person to me as my mum and dad are both deceased - and I was going through an awful time with it all.

I cancelled a meeting with hubby -he was going to come over and we were to meet at last but I put it off as I was too worried about my gran. Hubby was the most understanding and sympathetic person I've ever known and immediately a stronger bond was formed as we had bad times before the good so to speak. She died shortly before we finally met and he is always supportive about my loss, and understands now about the Jewish custom of lighting a candle at the anniversary of a loved one's death, in fact, even making sure I had one on hand this last time!
Old May 30th 2008, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

sands will become famous soon enough

Just an afterthought - where would a lot of us be now, and with whom, if the internet hadn't been around?
Old May 30th 2008, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Lorna and Sands - your stories have made me cry ....(dont worry I'm a soppy sentimental nit and I think I have PMT at the mo ) but its so sad and makes me think of my dear old mum who is nearly 80 and I just dont get to see her enough - it makes me very sad. (sorry went off thread here didnt mean to )

Anyway - mine isnt a very romantic story - my OH came to my island to learn English (1980) and we both worked in the same hotel - we kept sort of exchanging glances over the sweet trolley ....and then one night at the disco he finally asked me for the slow dance (remember those were the days when the blokes would wait for the smoochy number and then hone in on all the girls ) A few months later he left to return to Italy and I was gutted and thought he'd just go off and forget me ....instead he asked me to join him when he got something sorted out. I wasn't sure whether to believe him - but after a few months of love letters (remember this was before the internet and mobiles ) and phone calls - sure enough I got on a plane and flew to Milan. We lived together a few years and got married in 1986 in Milan in the snow
Old May 30th 2008, 12:56 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Patty - we should have a joint 25th come the time - we got married '86 as well! But mine's a brit and we met at school, so I'm shutting up now!
Old May 31st 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

beany71 will become famous soon enoughbeany71 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: How did you meet you meet your significant other?

What great stories............. you are all a soppy lot but the again so am I

The important thing to remember is just to be happy and not let all the nonsense of everyday life get in the way.

My OH is in the UK for six months now and I feel so sad in missing him, but we talked last night and he is back to sicily every 4 weeks so its not so bad.

I tell you Sands your right where would eb without old syber space.............. just goes to show that modern living can be jsut as lovely and romantic, and i for one am eternally grateful

Have fun and keep loving
Old May 31st 2008, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

I am loving these stories.. thank you so much for replying,

A note to the moderator - I apologise if it seems inappropriate to start this thread here -my bf is from Italy - I hope to move there with him one day and I am hopefully making some friends and finding out about life there - although indirectly. This is why I thought this thread might be appropriate here.

Thanks again all for sharing. Your stories have made me smile.

Last edited by jenninitaly; Jun 1st 2008 at 12:00 am.
Old May 31st 2008, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beany71
Hi all,

Mine is quite a good story of how I met my man..... A year ago I was working in the french alps and one night when alone and drunk (i might add) in my apartment I thought "sod it" I am going to sign onto a match site.

So I did and got the usual winks and nonsense.. guys that were twice the age of me and guys that could not speak english but insisted they were Anyhow I got a wink fron an engineer in England and he looked really nice and his profile made sense to me So we started talking which led to phoning and then one day when I was skiing.. I was with my freinds havin a drink in a mountain bar and I thought god this lovely I am sure he would love to see this too?? So I txtd him and the next minute got a txt back sayin he would book a flight to Geneva at the weekend Shocked yes but thrilled at the same time that someone would do that.
The weekend aririved and I drove 2 hours to pick him up in geneva .... I have to say its a strange scenario meeting someone you only talked to before at an airport of all places.... however we seemed to click and on the drive home chatted shyly (which is sayin somethin for blabber gob here) that night we had a romantic meal in mountain restaurant by the fire and as first dates go it was fantastic... we fell for each other then i think and you could say maybe love at first sight he stayed in my apartment and was a real gent ( I cant say the same for being shy at this point though) The next day we went to beautiful Annecy by the lake and had a great day out and then he went home. We stayed intouch everyday but I was going to work back in Italy and he was a engineer so it was impossible really.

I went to Sorrento and after 1 month of talking decided that we couldnt stand it any longer and that we would get together properly.

I flew back to the Uk and Stayed with him for a while and I have to say that those few months were some of the most perfect and ones I cherish.

However I missed Italy and after getting a very good job near Liverpool that I hated, one night he said "why dont we both just give it up and sod off to Italy" I couldnt believe it and after much stress we are here in Sicily and have started our own Travel agency. It feels great and I am so happy.

The funni thing is though and this is for everyone ....... If I had not been drunk and signed on that night I would not of met Rob.. If I had not have come back from Italy and tried to make it work I dont think we would ber here now. Isnt life strange guys Anyway here we are in sunni Sicily and i have to say all though he is doing a job back in London at the moment I am the happiest girl and I hope he is happy to.

Cheers and heres to the future long my syber space rein!!!!!!!!
a
OMG, I love this story. Good luck to you - it's funny, you can attribute meeting your man to being drunk and I can attribute meeting mine to a Thai girl being late with her part of a paper! Yes, life is funny! Also, I was on Match.com for months and went through a "dating factory" of sorts - meeting tons of guys who just weren't right. I had pretty decided to not date anymore as I was exasperated at the whole thing - then Andrea comes into my life through Yahoo Messenger!!!
Old May 31st 2008, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I met my Italian OH on Christmas Day.
It was before the days of cheap flight companies when a flight home to UK cost me between 600 and 700 hundred thousand Lira (always around the £200 mark anyway).
My cousin had got married the previous July and I had told everybody that if I went back for the big family wedding I wouldn't be able to afford to go back at Christmas time too.
Some Italian friends organised Christmas dinner in their mountain house. 12 people were invited for the dinner - each one of us made a different dish and took a bottle or two as well. Lots more people were invited to join us in the evening (the people that felt obliged to spend Christmas Day with parents) and it turned into a fantastic party.
My OH was also one of the people invited for the meal and we spent quite a lot of time chatting to each other but like you do - people move around the table afterwards and I spoke a bit to everybody. Later in the evening everyone was dancing and drinking and we ended up having a bit of a dance together that ended in a nice kiss.
The next day an English girlfriend of mine arrived to stay for a week in my little bedsit - so even though I saw a lot of Max (Massimo) we didn't 'get it on' that week as she was sharing my bed and my life. There were always loads of people coming and going in my little flat as not many people lived by themselves so Max got to meet a lot of my other friends that week too - and got on with all of them.
We got on like a house on fire and the first two months flew by. The only big downer was that my beloved Granny died in the beginning of March and I was distraught. The last time I ever saw her was at my cousin's wedding - which looking back now was not so bad as it was a happy occasion and everyone was dressed up with hats etc. I have a beautiful photo of Granny and me together taken at the wedding reception which is framed and on a wall in my house. She says 'hello' to me everyday. I flew back immediately for the funeral. Max took me to the airport and took an afternoon off work to pick me up again when I returned and we have never looked back.
Hi Lorna, one just never knows when they will meet the love of their life. Great story!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.