Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

House buying costs

House buying costs

Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

paquita is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: House buying costs

Sorry,I should probably have added that the price of my property was quite low!!lol!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

bwthynenfys is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ROSALINDANN
Sorry I've been a bit tied-up lately. Moved 8+, not bought, that would have been a nightmare.
Prima casa you must register as resident (doesn't matter if you don't actually live there) within 18 mnths and you cannot own, part own etc any other places. If your name is also on the deeds only your partners half qualifies.
The taxes also depend on who you buy from, private or developer. Assuming you are buing from private, you should have to pay 3% imposta di registro, about 150-200 euros land registry and the same to register mortgage. Non prima casa is 7%, then 1% and 1%.
You then have to pay agency fees and a notaio. Do not use the agents notaio, always find your own. Their fees vary a lot but they seem to be between 2% and 4% each unless you have one among you friends.
Utility bills also depend on residency. Here in Verona and Turin electricity. water and rubbish (tarsu) are cheaper, gas is the same though that could soon change. However this seems to vary region to region and my oh haggled with the rubbish company in Turin and managed to get a discount!
I assume your agent was talking about the yearly house tax ICI. This has been abolished for prima casa but the town hall now needs another way to find the money.
Need anything else, just ask but I might be a bit slow in answering.
Hi there Rosalindann do all these taxes apply in Sicily. Also can you suggest any really cheap B & Bs on Sicily as we are going over in April looking for a house to retire to. Many Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

You usually sign-up for a residents contract and sign an autocertificazione to say that you are resident. Or you have 6mnths to give them a residents cert. That way you don't incur any change of contract charges.
Wonderful info here but I am all over the place, can you give me a step by step account as to how buying a house goes. Really would be grateful. Thanks from two retirees LOL
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:02 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to our forum. Sorry, don't know any places to stay in Sicily. If you haven't already, post a new thread and someone will pick it up. Is there a reason for chosing Sicily?
If your buying through an estate agent it is really quite simple. All charges I mentioned are national although if you buy from a developer they differ. Please try to use an independent notaio as it is safer. He will need to check that it is a legal build and free of debts etc. When you find a place you like at a price you like you will be asked to sign a compromesso, a legally binding agreement stating how, what and when you intend to complete, and make a deposit, usually 10%. If the place is empty quite often the sellers are willing to hand over the keys a this stage so you can commence any work that needs doing. Then once the notaio has drawn up papers, you'll be called in with the sellers to hand over the money and complete the sale. The sale is then registered and about a month later you will receive the final papers - at least, that how long it takes here in Verona.
No doubt forgot lots of things e.g. if you buy an apartment or on a complex you need to check with the building manager for any unpaid bills or up coming charges, but someone will point it out.
Simply really, isn't? well, lets say, not too difficult. Just takes time. And get all the paper work translated. It's a few hundred euros but thousands of peacful nights.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:12 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

One more thing, you need a codice fiscale, tax code, to do things here. Once upon a time you even needed one to buy a plane ticket. It is easy to obtain one when you need it.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:51 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Rosalind,
Very good advice. I was unaware of the key thing but I suppose that is down to the seller. All I would add is when making an offer stipulate any conditions (Mortgage approval, all legal etc) to safeguard any deposits.

Paquita - 33% in buying costs, In my opinion you have been seen off regardless of the price of the property. Has anybody reading this ever heard of anyone paying 33%? In my limited experience most charges are a % of the actual sale price.

Debra - Can't remember the name of the company I used. (All the paperwork is at home), but it was really simple, I gave them pounds, they gave me euros at a good rate. The guy I dealt with also gave 'direction' as to how the pound was going, and he was spot on and saved me a fair few euros in exchange rates.

I am, having made an offer, now waiting for the seller to respond, they have 20 days so I will let you know if anything materialises although I am flitting back to UK for the weekend (to pick up T-bags, Oxo's, gravy bones and stuff)
Regards to all
Kenny
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:54 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

gravy bones ????
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:57 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Hi Lorna,
I knew someone would ask they are dog biscuits that apparently taste like beef gravy but not sold over here and my two wee mites love em

Can I ask - have you just become a moderator on here?? What's the weather like up your end - hoofing it down here

Kenny
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:17 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Dog biscuits !! Some of us Brits do bring some funny stuff back with us in our cases.

Moderator ..yes - but only because "Italy" is busier than it used to be and JDR has left. It's just to keep an eye out for spam and stuff like that.

Still the same old me though.

It's pouring down again - rained all yesterday too. It has melted the last of the banked up snow but I think I prefer the blue sky, sunny days even though they are generally colder.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:39 am
Concierge

Hope your 'two wee mites' are dogs
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:41 am

Hope your 'two wee mites' are dogs
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:31 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Yes they are, saying that I haven't tried on them on the kids yet
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:33 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Talking about bringing things back, My daughter called the other day and said she had sent a parcel but declined to say what was in it. Anyway it arrived yesterday, a bag of PG Tips, 1150 of them enough for about six months then.........
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Rosalinda could you send us an e.mail then we can reply we need some advice. Thanks for that Ginnie and Mike
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Hi and welcome to our forum. Sorry, don't know any places to stay in Sicily. If you haven't already, post a new thread and someone will pick it up. Is there a reason for chosing Sicily?
If your buying through an estate agent it is really quite simple. All charges I mentioned are national although if you buy from a developer they differ. Please try to use an independent notaio as it is safer. He will need to check that it is a legal build and free of debts etc. When you find a place you like at a price you like you will be asked to sign a compromesso, a legally binding agreement stating how, what and when you intend to complete, and make a deposit, usually 10%. If the place is empty quite often the sellers are willing to hand over the keys a this stage so you can commence any work that needs doing. Then once the notaio has drawn up papers, you'll be called in with the sellers to hand over the money and complete the sale. The sale is then registered and about a month later you will receive the final papers - at least, that how long it takes here in Verona.
No doubt forgot lots of things e.g. if you buy an apartment or on a complex you need to check with the building manager for any unpaid bills or up coming charges, but someone will point it out.
Simply really, isn't? well, lets say, not too difficult. Just takes time. And get all the paper work translated. It's a few hundred euros but thousands of peacful nights.
Hi Rosalindann (my youngest's middle name is Rosalind smiles) could you e.mail me and then I can reply. Have a couple of other things to ask if thats o.k. Many thanks Ginnie and Mike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.