Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

House build experience, Sicily

House build experience, Sicily

Old Mar 3rd 2020, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House build experience, Sicily

Originally Posted by modicasa
Each does his own job. A builder does cement, and a wndow fitter does that.
Thats why to fit a new sink in the kitchen will take a builder to do the scassi, a plumber to fitthe sink, an electrician to fit the scaldabagno and then the builder back to make good - and then for good measure a tiler. Its rare to find someone who does it all.
Yes indeed. I think the most important lesson for anyone who isn't familiar with the way Italy works and who wants to set out on the path of building and renovation works is to leave behind the UK way of thinking and the UK expectation of how things should be done in the normal course of a job where all trades will happily cross over to an extent, and accept what you find in Italy, as unexpected, surprising, (pleasantly or otherwise) and different as it might be, as well as being prepared for a few shocks along the way too of course..

Last edited by Jake.White; Mar 3rd 2020 at 11:11 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Jolly Joe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: House build experience, Sicily

Originally Posted by Jake.White
That's a bit of an eye opener Jack although not really surprising for Italy.

On a considerably smaller scale the same thing happened to me when I got my new windows and doors installed. The installers refused point blank to fill in all the large holes and gaps they had left in the walls around the windows and I had to do it myself. The reason cited being that it hadn't been discussed or quoted for, just being taken for granted by me that it would be done as part of the job. Typical daft Brit that I am to expect some customer service huh...... They also tipped all of their rubbish onto the dry stone wall at my boundary and left it there for me to discover and clear away...

In another anecdote, the builders who were renovating the trullo across the lane from my house, in a flash of inspiration and innovation, filled in all the lane potholes - some of which were getting quite deep and wide - with broken wall tiles..! : lots of lovely broken bits of ceramica with sharp edges and jagged points just waiting for you to drive over in your little car. Had to fix that one meself too with cement and sharp sand drymix and my trusty wheelbarrow, all the way from my garden gates down to where the lane joins the road - about a quarter of a mile. It took me several hours and a bucket load of sweat and effort digging all the crap out and filling the holes in again. No one else would have bothered.

Some of the things I've seen and experienced in Italy : you just couldn't make it up.
Hi
Yes you soon get the idea about doing as little as possible. On the other hand the work opportunities for locals must be limited so I suspect they try and draw it out if they can.
I have a window pane that needs replacing. I tried doing it with only a hammer and screwdriver and the beading started to split. The glass is very thin at 2mm so I will try and get someone to do it for me. I have discovered where I can buy some chisels but I don't know if they are thin enough to prise the beading off. I am hoping the local builder's merchants sell glass. Like you say you cannot take anything for granted though.
I bought a house in Mineo Sicily and reckon I have done very well with only redecorating and a few minor repairs to do. I found the workmen from the past left rubbish in the house for me to clear. Judging by the rubbish collection they probably pay an arm and a leg to get rid so its a no brainer really. You need to put it in your rubbish in small amounts but they are sticklers for categorising your trash.
I take my hat off to the gent who built his own house. He must have deep pockets.