Reload this Page >

Home removal - crossing the Channel post-Brexit

Home removal - crossing the Channel post-Brexit

Old Apr 26th 2021, 1:17 am
Just Joined

Picc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home removal - crossing the Channel post-Brexit

Hello,
Has anyone tried driving from the U.K to Italy post-Brexit yet? I'm a British citizen with Italian residence and am looking to do a home removal from London to Tuscany. I understand it's not as simple as just hiring a van and driving down with personal effects and bits of furniture, and that all items have to be declared and taxed at customs now? I am aware that even crossing schengen borders within the EU on the drive (France-Switzerland-Italy) is also difficult due to Covid restrictions. If anyone has had experience of this I'd love to hear about it!
Or inexpensive removal companies people have used would be much appreciated?!
Thanks

Last edited by Picc; Apr 26th 2021 at 1:19 am.
Old Apr 29th 2021, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future
Default Re: Home removal - crossing the Channel post-Brexit

Originally Posted by Picc
Hello,
Has anyone tried driving from the U.K to Italy post-Brexit yet?
... and bits of furniture, and that all items have to be declared and taxed at customs now?
​​​​
Thanks
The lack of response is an indication of how Covid, and Brexit, have impacted.
No recent experience of driving to offer but are you sure of the "taxed" comment? Even before the UK entered the EEC there was a convention that personal possessions, especially household effects, were not subject to taxation on a cross border removal; list, yes, control, yes, and obviously something "still in the box" would invite questions.
Good luck.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Im trying to bring some family stuff over from the UK and can confirm there are customs duties to pay, even on old stuff.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by modicasa
Im trying to bring some family stuff over from the UK and can confirm there are customs duties to pay, even on old stuff.
I stand corrected.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

Customs duties: ugh! Where does one find what the rate is and if there's a threshold?
Old May 2nd 2021, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. Yes seems a grey area! Not as simple at just chucking all your personal belongings in a van and driving across the border as I had once thought/hoped!
I am trying to get some quotes from shipping companies at the moment. They say the paperwork is extensive and needs to be well prepared so that possessions aren't seized at the border. Full inventory of every item and measurements needs to be provided well beforehand. If anyone has recommendations of companies they've used and trust I'll love to know because it feels like the wild west.

Last edited by Picc; May 2nd 2021 at 11:54 pm.
Old May 3rd 2021, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, its a bit of a nightmare. You need the HS code for every item which you can find here: www.trade.gov
Then you need the value, size, insurance amount plus in most cases the reason for the export - depending on which company you use.
I used european removals years ago, and couldnt complain.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

jodvova is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Picc
Hello,
Has anyone tried driving from the U.K to Italy post-Brexit yet? I'm a British citizen with Italian residence and am looking to do a home removal from London to Tuscany. I understand it's not as simple as just hiring a van and driving down with personal effects and bits of furniture, and that all items have to be declared and taxed at customs now? I am aware that even crossing schengen borders within the EU on the drive (France-Switzerland-Italy) is also difficult due to Covid restrictions. If anyone has had experience of this I'd love to hear about it!
Or inexpensive removal companies people have used would be much appreciated?!
Thanks
Did you manage to do this in the end ?

I'm facing the same problem, moving household items to Swiss via France in the van.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

I ended up using a company in the end as I couldn't find proper answers. The company I used was excellent, reasonably priced and I can highly recommend them. They are based in Genoa but maybe they could help you. Fabbri Traslochi. They brought a lot of customs paperwork for me to fill in so I was relieved I went with them in the end cause I wouldn't have known what was all needed myself. Correct Info for crossing the border post-Brexit is scarce!

All the best with the move.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I used Fabbri last year to move back from Italy and I was very impressed by their service. Obviously, this was pre-Brexit, so there were far fewer formalities but nonetheless they did a good job of packing things up and made sure everything turned up in one piece a few days later.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
The lack of response is an indication of how Covid, and Brexit, have impacted.
No recent experience of driving to offer but are you sure of the "taxed" comment? Even before the UK entered the EEC there was a convention that personal possessions, especially household effects, were not subject to taxation on a cross border removal; list, yes, control, yes, and obviously something "still in the box" would invite questions.
Good luck.
How long ago what that?
60 years?
Old Jun 21st 2021, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tpw21
How long ago what that?
60 years?
Necessary?
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Necessary?
Probably not, apologies to the poster.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Apparently the threshold is about 400 euros, if its the same as bringing in stuff on the aeroplane. its virtually impossible to find anything precise.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tpw21
How long ago what that?
60 years?
First time 1970, back to UK '74.
As it happens, I shared an office with a colleague who administered our staff removals, from UK and Italy, and picked up the gossip, would have been interested in any later change in policy. Therefore moving to Italy in '94 (EU or not) it never occurred to me that I would encounter a difficulty, and so it proved.
I hadn't wanted to ask, but I can now: did the original poster pay Customs duty, please?
​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.