Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Home Education for our kids

Home Education for our kids

Old Jun 14th 2022, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

nvisibl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home Education for our kids

We are considering moving to Italy but a primary factor of this decision is being able to Home Educate our kids without any interference from local authorities/schools

Can anyone advise please if this is possible? And also the legalities surrounding it if any

Thank you
Old Jun 14th 2022, 6:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Education for our kids

Homeschooling is completely legal under Italian law, but unfortunately it is often given little consideration. You will find a lot more detailed information here.
Old Jun 14th 2022, 7:50 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nvisibl
We are considering moving to Italy but a primary factor of this decision is being able to Home Educate our kids without any interference from local authorities/schools

Can anyone advise please if this is possible? And also the legalities surrounding it if any

Thank you
Home schooling is legal and has gathered momentum in the past few years. However, without interference? No. There are a lot of rules and regulations. You need to register with your local school district who will monitor your child's progress and you will need to prove that you are competent to teach the national curriculum or that this will be done by an external teachers.
Old Jun 15th 2022, 7:40 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

and home schooled children still have to sit the state exams at the same time as the kids in school.
Old Jun 15th 2022, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

I was curious about this and so I googled it.
I assume you have you looked at this site? It seems to give you the info you're asking about
https://www.controscuola.it/english/

Also I'm curious about some of the things you don't say in your original message...do you intend that your kids will learn Italian at home? Perhaps you and them already speak it? Have you thought about how they'll become part of the local community? I think is really important to consider this because in my experience local community ties are a much more important part of life here than is now the case in most parts of the UK. I know that the perceived lack of social interaction is often cited as one of the downsides of home schooling. I'm not sure I agree with that criticism. In a previous job I met kids who had been home schooled who were at least as equally well adjusted as those who had been in schools. They we're taking the first steps as independent adults... which often meant they were choosing to do things that meant reintegrating into mainstream education or work. And to some extent perhaps not making the same decisions as their parents. And on the whole they seemed well prepared...
HOWEVER it's just that their parents had done all sorts of extra things that helped those kids develop social skills and be part of the wider community. I'm not sure how one would do that on top of all the difficulties of living in another country, which I think everyone in this forum would advise you to not underestimate. It's really tough. In my opinion those of us who emigrate as adults never really become at ease in the new country... we'll always be "forestieri" but maybe your kids have a chance to become Italian. And might that be easier if they have shared experiences with their peers?
​​​​​What are your thoughts?

​​​​​
Old Jun 16th 2022, 7:24 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

They call you a "forestiera"? I've never heard that word before. Up here they all say "straniera".
Old Jun 16th 2022, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
They call you a "forestiera"? I've never heard that word before. Up here they all say "straniera".
In my town we have a Foresteria. It was a guest house for persons who were staying for a short time. The Foresteria includes a Casa del Custode in case the guests were unwelcome.

Last edited by philat98; Jun 16th 2022 at 8:58 am.
Old Jun 16th 2022, 9:53 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Neither have I heard of it for foreigners. Only heard it used for temporary workers, any nationality, when lodgings are provided.
Old Jun 16th 2022, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

It basically means something similar to 'outsider'. I've only ever heard it used in a gentle, humourous way. Not just about foreigners, but also about Italians from other parts of Italy. Maybe it's because I live in a small rural town with 5000 inhabitants that rises to a population of 20000+ in the summer?
Old Jun 16th 2022, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard it at all....
Old Jun 16th 2022, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well maybe nobody would ever say it to you...
​​​​​​I mean I've heard it used in banter with a group of blokes I know. It's not unusual for them to playfully take the ****, and I have been called worse! :-)

but it definitely exists

https://www.thelocal.it/20220405/ita...ay-forestiero/
Old Jun 16th 2022, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C.2s
Well maybe nobody would ever say it to you...
​​​​​​I mean I've heard it used in banter with a group of blokes I know. It's not unusual for them to playfully take the ****, and I have been called worse! :-)

but it definitely exists

https://www.thelocal.it/20220405/ita...ay-forestiero/
Wordreference says foreigner or stranger.
Old Jun 17th 2022, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

I'm a forestiera too .... among other things lol