Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

A holiday with our dog?

A holiday with our dog?

Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

moomin13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy A holiday with our dog?

Hi, we plan to do a bit of travel around the EU with our staffy girl. Have heard she is classed as a dangerous dog in some countries! How about Italy? anyone know the rules please? Its such a shocker! she is sooo placid and lovable! everyone loves her!!Thanks.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:04 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A holiday with our dog?

Is a staffi a mastiff? Don't know the full list of dangerous dogs but if needed, I can look it up. A mastiff and other 'dangerous' breeds must be on a leash and musseled at all times, cannot use public transport and must have full comprehensive insurance plus the normal things pet passport etc.These restrictions came about after a spate of unprovoked dog attacks sad, but until owners take full responsibility of owning a dog sadly, neccesary. If your dog is on the dangerous list be prepared for a lot of grieve if you are stopped on borders.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:53 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROSALINDANN
Is a staffi a mastiff? Don't know the full list of dangerous dogs but if needed, I can look it up. A mastiff and other 'dangerous' breeds must be on a leash and musseled at all times, cannot use public transport and must have full comprehensive insurance plus the normal things pet passport etc.These restrictions came about after a spate of unprovoked dog attacks sad, but until owners take full responsibility of owning a dog sadly, neccesary. If your dog is on the dangerous list be prepared for a lot of grieve if you are stopped on borders.
Should have read, 'is a staffi a mastiff' or what?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:31 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Staffordshire bull terrier. I would think you may have to have a muzzle. You see pit bulls here and they aren't muzzled most of the time but to actually bring her into the country it is always wise to err on the side of caution. I would go to the European portal web page for Italy - sorry don't know address - they will probably have more info there.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 10:27 pm
Concierge

Sorry about the muzzle, don't know what was in my head or rather, wasn't
Had a peak a the 'naughty' list and could find no mention of the staffordshire bull terrier so you should be o.k.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:44 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Lol! I didn't notice!! Dogs must carry shell fish at all times! Here it wouldn't surprise me!!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:34 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Staffordshire bull terrier. I would think you may have to have a muzzle. You see pit bulls here and they aren't muzzled most of the time but to actually bring her into the country it is always wise to err on the side of caution. I would go to the European portal web page for Italy - sorry don't know address - they will probably have more info there.
If you're passing through France, you'd do better to muzzle her for the duration, just in case. There's a bit of confusion in France, because the legislator specified "Staffordshire Terriers" as dangerous, but apparently there's no such breed, with the result that, theoretically, "Staffordshire Bull Terriers" aren't considered dangerous. But your average policeman or gendarme isn't going to split hairs over a word and will consider your dog dangerous, so please take no risk!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

moomin13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, still trying to get all the info, all the passport is done etc, wanted to visit family in spain, its soo unclear to get all info specific and especially when the stuff is in Spanish!! We can't afford to make any mistakes here or I simply wont go!doh! thanks for any replies previous to this-hectic life onging!!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 8:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moomin13
Hi, still trying to get all the info, all the passport is done etc, wanted to visit family in spain, its soo unclear to get all info specific and especially when the stuff is in Spanish!! We can't afford to make any mistakes here or I simply wont go!doh! thanks for any replies previous to this-hectic life onging!!
Why not ask on the Spain Forum or the Europe Forum if you're passing through other countries? Or your family could ask at their local Police Station?
My advice for France still holds....
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

I do not mean to offend, I never understand why would anyone want to take their dog on holiday with them. if anything happened (god forbid) i could never forgive myself. The stress that they (the animal) must go through just to be walked on a lead on the sand in spain or Italy.
Why not leave it at home in a GOOD bording home.