Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Holiday home in Castiglione del Lago

Holiday home in Castiglione del Lago

Old Mar 14th 2018, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Kirsty_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday home in Castiglione del Lago

Hello, my husband and I have recently purchased a property near Castiglione del Lago, Umbria and thought it would be nice to meet up with fellow expats. We will use it as a holiday home for parts of the year and are next visiting from 25th March for a week. Are there any recommendations as to where to go, any events on in the area for expats. Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 1st 2018, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

fliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Holiday home in Castiglione del Lago

Hello, we moved to the area last year and love it round here. There’s a market in Castiglione on a Saturday, although I really like the one in Montepulciano which is held by the bus station just outside the walls of the old town every Thursday morning. If you google events in Umbria & Tuscany there should be a list of what’s on. Also look at the billboards pasted in each commune which advertise festas etc. A festa I would recommend is the Sagra del Pesce in Porto. It’s on for a week every August in the run up to Ferragosto. I volunteered there last year and it was hard work but great fun. If you look on the website of the Caporali cinema in Castiglione there is usually a film in English every Friday at 6pm and in the castle grounds in the summer. We go most weeks.
It’s only €9.90 to Rome on the train from Chiusi and €14 to Florence and there’s also a train from Chiusi to Siena which is just a few euros. We tend to use the station in Chiusi as there’s a big, free car park and we’re halfway between Castiglione & Chiusi anyway.
Enjoy your new home. It’s a great area to be in