Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Help with Towns

Help with Towns

Old Sep 8th 2019, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Towns

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
Thanks Pica, that is understood already. I'm interested in Jake's particular insights or experiences - if he's willing to share them.

Hi there,

As Pica says, it's all really down to the sum of ones experiences how you end up perceiving your chosen country. I wouldn't necessarily say Italy is a bad place to live or to have a second home, indeed many people simply love it and can't get enough of it. Personally I like my little house and garden there and I have a pleasant enough time working my land and caring for my olive trees whenever I'm there, but that's about the extent of my love for the place. The downside of it for me has been highlighted to an extent on a number of previous posts on different threads, which, if you can be bothered to you can feel free to have a scroll through to read about of some of my past experiences. For now however, rather than repeating myself, suffice it to say that from day one I have found Italy to be corrupt, dishonest, backward, overly bureaucratic to an almost cartoon-like level and generally just a very difficult place to be in just about every way. But that's just me however, and as I said at the beginning, my perception of the place is entirely due to the sum of my experiences, most of which have been one big hassle. Some people go there and never look back and love every minute of it and I suspect I'm probably the exception rather than the rule....

Last edited by Jake.White; Sep 8th 2019 at 8:37 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with both of the last 2 posts!
Old Sep 9th 2019, 10:47 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response, Jake. I think I understand what you mean and have taken it on board in the context in which you gave it.
Cheers.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

leandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jake.White
I'd give my right arm to have either of those options and with hindsight, knowing what I now know, as a personal choice either would be my preferred option over Italy any day of the week....
I understand.There are pros and cons everywhere.NZ and Oz will be less bureaucratic and generally cleaner than some Countries in Europe. But as beautiful as they are they can be a bit bland compared to Europe. We are also thinking to widen the research to Portugal and Malta...plenty of homework to do!