Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Help with Towns

Help with Towns

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Towns

Originally Posted by Jake.White
LOL, yes I do - two of them in fact, and some other interesting bits and pieces to boot. Archery has been a lifelong fascination and hobby of mine and although I prefer a regular bow - as in modern compound or traditional tribal recurve (I have several) - the crossbow is smaller and easier to transport and the opportunity to practice with it freely on my land is too much of a temptation to resist as I can't use them so freely in England. Essentially my bows are for target shooting only and I don't hunt with them - although many people do in just about every country in the world except the UK. As for using my bow against a burglar, I would do that in the most extreme circumstances, if he or they were carrying handguns for example and I would even then be at an obvious disadvantage, but when you consider the ease of obtainability of firearms in Italy it has to be considered as an option....

here's an eye opening snippet of reading for anyone who is interested..

https://www.thelocal.it/20190328/italy-self-defence-law
So sorry if I caused any offence- I thought your weaponry cache was for defense against would be burglars! An excellent hobby you have then and I guess waving a crossbow at would be crims would be enough to scare them off. I remember reading about the self-defense article-bravo Italia.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Our mayor called a special public meeting in February to discuss the numbe of robberies.He told the citizens what they could do to protect their properties. No mention of crossbows. My village would be a happy hunting ground for collectors of pictures of Padre Pio, the Pope, Mussolini and Mother Teresa, glass chandeliers and Fiat Pandas.
LOL! and by the way who is that Padre Pio? He hangs in all our neighbours homes but yet to see pics of Mussolini or the evil woman known as M. T.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
So sorry if I caused any offence- I thought your weaponry cache was for defense against would be burglars! An excellent hobby you have then and I guess waving a crossbow at would be crims would be enough to scare them off. I remember reading about the self-defense article-bravo Italia.

Haha, no problem. People often see the word "crossbow" and jump to the wrong conclusion as they are so often associated with crime and thuggery. Crossbows are indeed lethal weapons at close range of anything up to around 60-70m and much easier to shoot accurately than a compound or traditional bow due to the fact that they have a scope, which is probably what gives them such a bad reputation, but they are also jolly fine sporting implements and lots of fun if used safely and in the right environment
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
LOL! and by the way who is that Padre Pio? He hangs in all our neighbours homes but yet to see pics of Mussolini or the evil woman known as M. T.
If you go into a small shop look behind the counter and see if they have a few photos on the wall.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

leandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really nice

Thank you for The Local link .I never heard of it,very interesting!
Looks like the "paid neighbourhood watch" is the way to go. LOL
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leandra21
Thank you for The Local link .I never heard of it,very interesting!
Looks like the "paid neighbourhood watch" is the way to go. LOL

Provided you actually have a neighbour of course..! We only ever had one permanent resident in the lane and he's just moved away, so now we have a lane full of empty properties with most owners coming just occasionally for a few hours to do their little bit of gardening work or whatever....
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

leandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jake.White
Provided you actually have a neighbour of course..! We only ever had one permanent resident in the lane and he's just moved away, so now we have a lane full of empty properties with most owners coming just occasionally for a few hours to do their little bit of gardening work or whatever....
Noo! That would send me in a panic! LOL
I will have neighbours as I am scared of open,empty spaces.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 9:32 am
Jpk
Just Joined

Jpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the rough

Hello,I am looking for Italian towns with some specific requirements and I would be grateful for some help .I am looking for biggish towns by the sea close enough to a big City (1 hour drive more or less),possibly with a daily market and a big supermarket or ipermarket not to far ,milder climate (presumably mid to south Italy) ,somewhere that is lively all year around and not only during the summer months.We usually go to Civitavecchia / Santa Marinella and we are interested to find other towns that offer the same lifestyle.I have tried a few online searches but first hand experience is welcome.
Have you though about Pozzuoli? From what I understand it fills most of your requirements: Pic
- Close to Naples, a big city less the 1h by far
- I would not say cheap but you can get this for 350k€ and I guess you could probably negotiate at lease 10%/12%
- It has a huge fish market which serves the city of Naples
- Close to the airport of Naples with direct flights to STN, LTN and GTW and maybe LCN and Heathrow
- Milld climate
- Full of beaches nearby (I can post some links for that)
- Temples
- Bars and resturants
Old Sep 6th 2019, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jpk
Have you though about Pozzuoli? From what I understand it fills most of your requirements: Pic
- Close to Naples, a big city less the 1h by far
- I would not say cheap but you can get this for 350k€ and I guess you could probably negotiate at lease 10%/12%
- It has a huge fish market which serves the city of Naples
- Close to the airport of Naples with direct flights to STN, LTN and GTW and maybe LCN and Heathrow
- Milld climate
- Full of beaches nearby (I can post some links for that)
- Temples
- Bars and resturants
Hi,thank you for posting.I never thought about Campania at all.
After the last few posts about robberies I am having second thoughts about retiring in Italy ....
We are lucky enough to be able to also consider Australia and NZ as options as my husband is from NZ.

Old Sep 6th 2019, 12:22 pm
Jpk
Just Joined

Jpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the rough

After the last few posts about robberies I am having second thoughts about retiring in Italy ....
We are lucky enough to be able to also consider Australia and NZ as options as my husband is from NZ.
Interesting, I was raised in Naples but I am half British. I know a few people who went to NAP to live and retired. My mother came here to work once she met my father.

It might take some adaptation but you are in the right neighborhood you are going to be fine. If you get a chance read Naples '44 from Norman Lewis it should highlight many things of Naples from that time which ironically still apply today. Above all, as it is the main theme of the book: you will cry once you get there and cry when you leave.

Ciao!
Old Sep 6th 2019, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Norman Lewis's book about the Sicilian mafia is very interesting. The account of the mob's hotel interests in Puglia built around Padre Pio is fascinating as well as Lewis's own spying on Pio in the second world war.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

I'd give my right arm to have either of those options and with hindsight, knowing what I now know, as a personal choice either would be my preferred option over Italy any day of the week....
Old Sep 8th 2019, 6:56 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Jake, would you mind elaborating on the "knowing what I now know"? I'm also considering Italy as a place to hang up my hat and would like to hear the downside...
Old Sep 8th 2019, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
Jake, would you mind elaborating on the "knowing what I now know"? I'm also considering Italy as a place to hang up my hat and would like to hear the downside...
Sorry to butt in but there are downsides as well as upsides to hanging your hat in any country on earth. I suppose it depends on how willing you are to adapt to a new culture etc. Nowhere is perfect and wherever you go you're going to need to make adjustments to your mindset, levels of tolerance, acceptance and life style. Each individuals perception of the place they live depends wholly on their personal experiences. I wish you luck but in the end it's your choice, there's a limit to the info others can give you because it's based on their experiences which may or may not correspond with your expectations.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 7:29 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pica, that is understood already. I'm interested in Jake's particular insights or experiences - if he's willing to share them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.