Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Help with Towns

Help with Towns

Old Sep 2nd 2019, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Towns

If I was relocating I would check what the average high temperatures are for July and August.For example Foggia in Puglia already has an average high around 40C. With record temperatures being made almost every year summer living could become troublesome in some of Italy's hottest towns.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

leandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really nice

Originally Posted by philat98
If I was relocating I would check what the average high temperatures are for July and August.For example Foggia in Puglia already has an average high around 40C. With record temperatures being made almost every year summer living could become troublesome in some of Italy's hottest towns.
Good point! Unfortunately due to global warming we all have to get use to higher temperatures.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

leandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jake.White
Near Ostuni. Nearest airport is Brindisi about 30km away. There is also an airport in Bari in the opposite direction about 80km away. Around this area you could probably find a market every day. There's a big one every Saturday in Ostuni and one every Thursday in the small town of San Michele Salentino. There will be others dotted around but I don't know on which days as I'm not really a fan and don't use them.
Hi,can I ask for some pointers regarding owning a second home in Italy?Let me know if you prefer a PM.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Can you be a bit more specific..? What kind of pointers..?
Hi,for example ...do you have someone to check on your property when you are not there?if not,have you had any issues while it was empty? do you rent it out? what kind of extra taxes a second property command? (I heard of Imu).
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

This has been done to death on other threads already. Rather than repeat a lot of what I and others have said on previous threads, it would be better if you just have a scroll around and you'll find all the answers.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

This has been done to death on other threads already. Rather than repeat a lot of what I and others have said on previous threads, it would be better if you just have a scroll around and you'll find all the answers.
I will have a look again .I found a few bits like estate agents,solicitors,imu etc. but I couldn't find anything on the other questions.Thank you anyway ☺

Old Sep 2nd 2019, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

We had a security company supposedly coming round to check on the property when we were absent but they weren't worth the money we paid them as they were never seen and the most we ever got out of them was a pretty little sticker to put on our gate. You can get an alarm system rigged up which alerts them if any intruders turn up but it's expensive and I'm not even convinced they would bother responding.

Yes we've had issues. Been fully cleared out once including all the kitchen units, and had at least one other attempted break in made after that - burglary is a very common pastime in Italy and thanks to past experiences I keep a crossbow and a couple of other tactical weapons handy whenever I'm there (truth).

We don't rent.

Taxes are plentiful and complicated. Modicasa is probably the best man to help - he's an estate agent based in Sicily and fully on the ball with everything. I suggest you PM him.

Last edited by Jake.White; Sep 2nd 2019 at 1:43 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

It would be interesting to hear from others of any recent events in other areas. Friends of ours live up the road about 500m, same road, but their place is nearer more people. They have had 3 break-ins, last about 3-4 years back. I’m not aware of any other such event in this area. All of these events were during the summer months during the festa season. Nothing much taking apart from valuables such as petty cash and jewellery. Many in the area leave doors and windows open, keys in the door and have little regard or concern for problems, our friends still think little of going off for the day with shutters open.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
It would be interesting to hear from others of any recent events in other areas. Friends of ours live up the road about 500m, same road, but their place is nearer more people. They have had 3 break-ins, last about 3-4 years back. I’m not aware of any other such event in this area. All of these events were during the summer months during the festa season. Nothing much taking apart from valuables such as petty cash and jewellery. Many in the area leave doors and windows open, keys in the door and have little regard or concern for problems, our friends still think little of going off for the day with shutters open.
In South Umbria many rural houses were robbed this spring. The robbers always arrived between 6pm and 9pm while the owners were having an aperitivo. Small footprints were found at each robbery and the police were looking for gypsies at road blocks.. Steel shutters and a steel front door make life difficult for them.

Last edited by philat98; Sep 2nd 2019 at 3:21 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

thanks to past experiences I keep a crossbow and a couple of other tactical weapons handy whenever I'm there (truth).
I would do the same!

Food for thought...if we buy something pre-retirement it would be empty for long periods.

Old Sep 2nd 2019, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing is like anywhere, good neighbours...
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=

Food for thought...if we buy something pre-retirement it would be empty for long periods.[/QUOTE]
Of course it would be. Consider paying a local to "mind" it- if you can find a willing person and of course if they have the time and you pay them enough

Last edited by Pica; Sep 2nd 2019 at 9:09 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

You have a crossbow? Jeez!
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pica
You have a crossbow? Jeez!

LOL, yes I do - two of them in fact, and some other interesting bits and pieces to boot. Archery has been a lifelong fascination and hobby of mine and although I prefer a regular bow - as in modern compound or traditional tribal recurve (I have several) - the crossbow is smaller and easier to transport and the opportunity to practice with it freely on my land is too much of a temptation to resist as I can't use them so freely in England. Essentially my bows are for target shooting only and I don't hunt with them - although many people do in just about every country in the world except the UK. As for using my bow against a burglar, I would do that in the most extreme circumstances, if he or they were carrying handguns for example and I would even then be at an obvious disadvantage, but when you consider the ease of obtainability of firearms in Italy it has to be considered as an option....

here's an eye opening snippet of reading for anyone who is interested..

https://www.thelocal.it/20190328/italy-self-defence-law

Last edited by Jake.White; Sep 3rd 2019 at 6:55 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Our mayor called a special public meeting in February to discuss the numbe of robberies.He told the citizens what they could do to protect their properties. No mention of crossbows. My village would be a happy hunting ground for collectors of pictures of Padre Pio, the Pope, Mussolini and Mother Teresa, glass chandeliers and Fiat Pandas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.