Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Help with Towns

Help with Towns

Old Sep 1st 2019, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

leandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really nice
Default Help with Towns

Hello,I am looking for Italian towns with some specific requirements and I would be grateful for some help .I am looking for biggish towns by the sea close enough to a big City (1 hour drive more or less),possibly with a daily market and a big supermarket or ipermarket not to far ,milder climate (presumably mid to south Italy) ,somewhere that is lively all year around and not only during the summer months.We usually go to Civitavecchia / Santa Marinella and we are interested to find other towns that offer the same lifestyle.I have tried a few online searches but first hand experience is welcome.
Old Sep 1st 2019, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Towns

Originally Posted by leandra21
Hello,I am looking for Italian towns with some specific requirements and I would be grateful for some help .I am looking for biggish towns by the sea close enough to a big City (1 hour drive more or less),possibly with a daily market and a big supermarket or ipermarket not to far ,milder climate (presumably mid to south Italy) ,somewhere that is lively all year around and not only during the summer months.We usually go to Civitavecchia / Santa Marinella and we are interested to find other towns that offer the same lifestyle.I have tried a few online searches but first hand experience is welcome.
Hi leandra. We've lived in Abruzzo for almost 10 years now and regarding the weather all I can say is that generally the summer months, although they can be variable are damned hot and often stormy! South will be even hotter. Winters here can be surprisingly mild but on occasion we have been snow bound for days on end. Markets are everywhere from small villages to large towns eg Pescara has a Monday market, Silvi Marina has Thursday markets and so on. Large supermarkets are generally within a reasonable driving distance. Lively all year round you won't find here- summer yes-winter no.
I think that if you want a milder climate you're better looking at the northern end of Italy.
Old Sep 1st 2019, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

leandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pica
Hi leandra. We've lived in Abruzzo for almost 10 years now and regarding the weather all I can say is that generally the summer months, although they can be variable are damned hot and often stormy! South will be even hotter. Winters here can be surprisingly mild but on occasion we have been snow bound for days on end. Markets are everywhere from small villages to large towns eg Pescara has a Monday market, Silvi Marina has Thursday markets and so on. Large supermarkets are generally within a reasonable driving distance. Lively all year round you won't find here- summer yes-winter no.
I think that if you want a milder climate you're better looking at the northern end of Italy.
Hi,thank you for the prompt reply.I thought about Liguria (as north as I would like to go) but house prices are generally higher than the mid/south.I don't mind hot weather in summer but I rather not have long cold and wet winters.I didn't think about Abruzzo,I will do some research.The idea is to narrow down a few places and visit at different times of year to try to find somewhere to retire in a few years time.
Old Sep 1st 2019, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

The one and only full winter I spent in Puglia was generally mild with the average temp in January being around 15 degrees. However : before that in December we had a mild start with lots of sunshine followed by a heavy snowfall which closed off our lane completely for several days, although it was all gone again in a week or so (see pic)

February and March were the coldest months and windy too. Spring and Autumn in Puglia are long and pleasant. What I would call actual full summer is shorter than spring and autumn : really just July and August, and it's ferocious. In Puglia it rains fairly regularly throughout the year, but a bit less so in the summer months. We also get some nice thunderstorms from time to time. There are markets in every town on different days and all the usual supermarkets dotted around : Lidl, Auchan, Ipercoop, and lots of the smaller ones everywhere.....

Last edited by Jake.White; Sep 1st 2019 at 11:22 am.
Old Sep 1st 2019, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jake.White
The one and only full winter I spent in Puglia was generally mild with the average temp in January being around 15 degrees. However : before that in December we had a mild start with lots of sunshine followed by a heavy snowfall which closed off our lane completely for several days, although it was all gone again in a week or so (see pic)

February and March were the coldest months and windy too. Spring and Autumn in Puglia are long and pleasant. What I would call actual full summer is shorter than spring and autumn : really just July and August, and it's ferocious. In Puglia it rains fairly regularly throughout the year, but a bit less so in the summer months. We also get some nice thunderstorms from time to time. There are markets in every town on different days and all the usual supermarkets dotted around : Lidl, Auchan, Ipercoop, and lots of the smaller ones everywhere.....
Hi,amazing pic!
Where are you based in Puglia? It is one of the regions we would like to explore a bit further.We were thinking to spend our next summer trip in Gallipoli as on paper looks like what we are looking for apart from the daily market.Any other suggestion?
Old Sep 1st 2019, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about Grosseto? Not far from Siena and Rome. The south Tuscany coast is one of the best in mainland Italy.
Ascoli Piceno is a good place in the Marche and not far from the sea. Also Ravenna further north.

Last edited by philat98; Sep 1st 2019 at 12:48 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2019, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by philat98
Have you thought about Grosseto? Not far from Siena and Rome. The south Tuscany coast is one of the best in mainland Italy.
Ascoli Piceno is a good place in the Marche and not far from the sea. Also Ravenna further north.
Hi,I will do some research on Grosseto.I spent a summer many years ago in San Benedetto del Tronto (which could fit our requirements depending on house prices).I spent a day in Ascoli,lovely place but not by the sea .
Old Sep 1st 2019, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Do you need to be near the airport?
Old Sep 1st 2019, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Do you need to be near the airport?
Hi,ideally no more than an hour...ish distance would be preferable.
Old Sep 1st 2019, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leandra21
Hi,amazing pic!
Where are you based in Puglia? It is one of the regions we would like to explore a bit further.We were thinking to spend our next summer trip in Gallipoli as on paper looks like what we are looking for apart from the daily market.Any other suggestion?

Near Ostuni. Nearest airport is Brindisi about 30km away. There is also an airport in Bari in the opposite direction about 80km away. Around this area you could probably find a market every day. There's a big one every Saturday in Ostuni and one every Thursday in the small town of San Michele Salentino. There will be others dotted around but I don't know on which days as I'm not really a fan and don't use them.
Old Sep 1st 2019, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Help with Towns

Near Ostuni. Nearest airport is Brindisi about 30km away. There is also an airport in Bari in the opposite direction about 80km away. Around this area you could probably find a market every day. There's a big one every Saturday in Ostuni and one every Thursday in the small town of San Michele Salentino. There will be others dotted around but I don't know on which days as I'm not really a fan and don't use them.
Ostuni looks lovely.It would probably fit the bill as long we could find something affordable close to the sea.I don't drive and the main object is to find a town with all the main services at walking distance.I am planning ahead for an easy way of life during retirement
Old Sep 1st 2019, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Affordable and close to the sea eh.... Depends how close I suppose and what size of property you're after. There are always discussions on the property market popping up here so keep your eyes peeled. The property market is pretty erratic with properties of all shapes and sizes and all kinds of wacky prices from cheap as chips for a wreck to millions for a designer revamped trullo, villa, or masseria with all the trimmings - and it's a veritable minefield..

Ostuni is OK I guess and kind of within walking distance to the sea although it would be quite a hike, and uphill all the way back, although there is a flat plain at the bottom of the hill with lots of olive groves. Maybe if you're brave enough to risk it on the roads you could get a bicycle..!!

Maybe one of the little towns directly on the coast would suit your needs a bit better than Ostuni...like this :

https://www.alongdustyroads.com/post...lignano-a-mare

My own Idyll is to be as far away from the crowds as possible, and my own little place in the country suits me down to the ground for that but if you like the hustle and bustle.....
Old Sep 1st 2019, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Affordable and close to the sea eh.... Depends how close I suppose and what size of property you're after. There are always discussions on the property market popping up here so keep your eyes peeled. The property market is pretty erratic with properties of all shapes and sizes and all kinds of wacky prices from cheap as chips for a wreck to millions for a designer revamped trullo, villa, or masseria with all the trimmings - and it's a veritable minefield..

Ostuni is OK I guess and kind of within walking distance to the sea although it would be quite a hike, and uphill all the way back, although there is a flat plain at the bottom of the hill with lots of olive groves. Maybe if you're brave enough to risk it on the roads you could get a bicycle..!!

Maybe one of the little towns directly on the coast would suit your needs a bit better than Ostuni...like this :

https://www.alongdustyroads.com/post...lignano-a-mare

My own Idyll is to be as far away from the crowds as possible, and my own little place in the country suits me down to the ground for that but if you like the hustle and bustle.....
Thank you for the link.I will take my time to read it as it seems really interesting. Regarding property,we would be happy with an apartment or an indipent smallish house in a central position so price would be more expensive .As appealing the idea of a trullo or a lamia is,looks like they are generally out of town and they come with land so it would be way to much for us.
Old Sep 1st 2019, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, such properties as Trulli and the like usually have land attached. I have slightly over 2 acres and it's a massive amount of work every time I go. I've seen a fair few apartments for sale in Ostuni Centro Storico for various prices - no associated land with them. Might be worth your while having a search around...
Old Sep 1st 2019, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, such properties as Trulli and the like usually have land attached. I have slightly over 2 acres and it's a massive amount of work every time I go. I've seen a fair few apartments for sale in Ostuni Centro Storico for various prices - no associated land with them. Might be worth your while having a search around...
Will do.I think Ostuni and Gallipoli are the 2 main towns shortlisted in Puglia at the moment.If anyone else has other suggestions please reply to the thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.