Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Help - local knowledge of Naples and Sorrento needed please

Help - local knowledge of Naples and Sorrento needed please

Old Aug 27th 2020, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help - local knowledge of Naples and Sorrento needed please

Hi I don't know if anyone can help me.

I'm organising a trip to Sorrento for my family and my elderly mum next August.

We are flying into Naples and mum will probably be getting a hotel shuttle bus to her hotel. The rest of us are staying in an apartment in Sant Agnello square so will be getting to the accomodation under our own steam, either by train, ferry or bus

My questions are:

Which would be the best way to get to the apartment? I understand there is a train station near/in the square, but can't work out where that train goes to in Naples or what the train name/number is
How far is the airport from the train station/port/bus stops.

Many thanks

Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - local knowledge of Naples and Sorrento needed please

If you don't get any answer here I would look at the airport website....
Old Aug 28th 2020, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

You have a couple of options. If you fly to Naples, you would need to get to the main train station using the Alibus and then get the Circumvesuviana train (platform 3) to Sorrento, and from there get a taxi to your apartment. It will shred your nerves a bit ifyou have never been before.

Or you can go bycoach transfer which would be better, or a private car transfer. It depends how many you are and your budget of course.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

This service looks good.
https://www.curreriviaggi.it/mobile/it/transfer/
Old Aug 28th 2020, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys. Many thanks for this; really helpful.

We’d like if at all possible to use the train but I’m just working through the scenarios and also how close we are in our apartment in SantAgnello square to the train station. If it’s close enough to walk then we’ll definitely train-it. We like a challenge!!!
Old Aug 28th 2020, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Damson
Hi guys. Many thanks for this; really helpful.

We’d like if at all possible to use the train but I’m just working through the scenarios and also how close we are in our apartment in SantAgnello square to the train station. If it’s close enough to walk then we’ll definitely train-it. We like a challenge!!!
Since the station is called Sant Agnello it might be quite near. You could just call the hotel.
Wandering around Piazza Garribaldi with big suitcases can be a bit unpleasant and the Circumvesuviana is very slow. Personally I would take the shuttle bus.

Last edited by philat98; Aug 28th 2020 at 2:59 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, but what's the exact address of the apartments? Stick it in Google maps and the railway station as the other location and it will tell you exactly how close it is... Philat96 is nicely trying to tell you the trains are crap and the bus a much better option, but I can understand it if you like trains....
Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Yeh, but what's the exact address of the apartments? Stick it in Google maps and the railway station as the other location and it will tell you exactly how close it is... Philat96 is nicely trying to tell you the trains are crap and the bus a much better option, but I can understand it if you like trains....
I took that train once and that was enough (20 years ago). Surprising considering it is one of the most beautiful coasts in Italy. The hydrofoil ferry from Salerno to Naples via Capri and Amalfi on the other hand was a marvellous experience.
I like railway trains but not much when you can hardly see out of the window. May be things have improved. Just having looked at Tripadvisor I see the words ladri and pessima so may be not.

Last edited by philat98; Aug 28th 2020 at 8:11 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 11:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, but what's the exact address of the apartments? Stick it in Google maps and the railway station as the other location and it will tell you exactly how close it is...
Better still, you can use GM/ Street View and take a look at the place and wander up and down the streets. ..... I don't see a "square"/ piazza per se in Sant Agnello, but perhaps this is it?

And the image below is roughly the view per the red arrow in the above satellite view

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 28th 2020 at 11:23 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Ha! Yep and double click with the mouse to go forwards, if you still use a pc/mouse that is....
Old Aug 29th 2020, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Where's Ononno when you need him?
Old Aug 29th 2020, 4:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... if you still use a pc/mouse that is....
Of course. Doesn't everyone? ..... I find using a tablet (which I don't own) or my phone, to do anything on the internet, as compared to using a computer, to be like trying to do DIY one-handed.
Old Aug 30th 2020, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Where's Ononno when you need him?
Here I am.
The first image is not actually S.Agnello, but the last bit of Sorrento before Sant'Agnello. all localservices
The second image is a mock up of S.Agnello as proposed by the sindaco, but only imaginary work in progress.
Sant'Agnello is quite a large place, with 3 main squares, and a shabby neglected Circumvesuviana station right in the centre of pretty
original S.Agnello. The centre of town is a 2 minute walk away with a beautiful neoclaassic Comune (Town Hall) housing post, banks, police station, 2 bars,
aand of course the comune offices as well, and several different bus line stops. connection
Your reccomendation of 'curreri' is the best option of all, since they operate many local services, and several express shuttles to/ from Naples airport.
At your service when I can manage the keyboard.
Old Aug 30th 2020, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ononno
Here I am.
The first image is not actually S.Agnello, but the last bit of Sorrento before Sant'Agnello. all localservices
The second image is a mock up of S.Agnello as proposed by the sindaco, but only imaginary work in progress.
Sant'Agnello is quite a large place, with 3 main squares, and a shabby neglected Circumvesuviana station right in the centre of pretty
original S.Agnello. The centre of town is a 2 minute walk away with a beautiful neoclaassic Comune (Town Hall) housing post, banks, police station, 2 bars,
aand of course the comune offices as well, and several different bus line stops. connection
Your reccomendation of 'curreri' is the best option of all, since they operate many local services, and several express shuttles to/ from Naples airport.
At your service when I can manage the keyboard.
No I can't believe Google are using mock up pictures.... I wonder how good they are at it i.e. if you go past this and turn (drag mouse around) to look behind you, do they use another mock picture? The image shows a capture date of "Sep19", is this correct?
Old Aug 30th 2020, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by ononno
.... The first image is not actually S.Agnello, but the last bit of Sorrento before Sant'Agnello. .....
As per Georgieborn, the second image was captured by a Google Street View car driving along the road. You can click forward at maybe 5m per click and spin around 360° to look in all directions.

The location of the second image, (location and direction as per the arrow in the first image) is about 100m fron S. Agnello station (marked with a red ring in the first image) and within the municipal boundary of S. Agnello, as marked by Google Maps, which is marked in great detail, street by street and building by building, so either Google Maps has the boundary marked incorrectly, or local usage may be different from the actual municipal boundary. .... Most of the centre of London is actually in the city of Westminster; my address says I live in Podunk, but Podunk is several miles away.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 30th 2020 at 3:51 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.