Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Help!! Insure a british car in italy!!!

Help!! Insure a british car in italy!!!

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:53 am
Just Joined

cottonbud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!! Insure a british car in italy!!!

Can anyone help. I am driving my car over to italy when i move. The reason for this is i have tried to sell it and cant due to the credit crunch. Does anyone know if i can insure my car in italy and how i go about this, also the cost of doing so. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice
Default Re: Help!! Insure a british car in italy!!!

Try Italsure
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

Call Stuart Collins & Co on 01792 655562 or
Aire Valley Ins. Services on 01535 656753
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:17 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cottonbud
Can anyone help. I am driving my car over to italy when i move. The reason for this is i have tried to sell it and cant due to the credit crunch. Does anyone know if i can insure my car in italy and how i go about this, also the cost of doing so. Any advise would be appreciated.
I should check that it will be legal to drive your car over there as a resident. Certainly in Spain you have to rematriculate within a short period of time
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cottonbud
Hi, we moved here near Lecce last January. This is our experience if it helps. We couldn't get insurance or a green card from Direct Line after three months (we thought we could wait a year before re-registering our car). The local insurance company would not insure us without italian number plates therefore our car was off the road for about a month while we sorted out re-registering the car with the Motorizzazione Civile, it was slightly less complicated as my husband had an "Italian returning home status" but very time consuming and expensive. We are retired so went backwards and forwards to Motorizzazione Civile Lecce (had to hire a car to do so). We had to have our british log book and licence translated and had to swear on oath in front of a judge that it was a bona fide translation, etc etc, finally we were given our new log book and number plate after the collaudo (MOT)as our car also goes on LPG and thought we had done quite well; we were told to register the car with PRA (like our DVLA?) and were astounded to be charged 800 euros for that alone. It all depends on the KW and power of the car apparently. If we were in the same position again perhaps we would not have brought the car over. It would have been better to get an agency Agenzia Practiche Automobile to do all the paperwork, it would not have been much more expensive. So it can be done. All in all we are pleased to have our car, the LPG is only 61 cents a liter about half the price of petrol. Good luck with everything.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. We were just thinking that as we can't sell it due to the state of the economy at the moment, it would be easier to take it over. It's a fairly new car and my insurance willl only insure me for the standard 90 days then i have to bring it back. I'll look into the numbers that everyone has left and fingers crossed i can sort something out.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Nuvoletta is an unknown quantity at this point

Just be carefull about the 90 days thing; it's 90 days in a year not all at one time, I fell foul of this rule last year when I bought my bike down...

you can get the car re-registered but r/hand drive here is a pain in the butt! check out the options, but I think that you will find if you are resident here, you will find it difficult to insure in the UK. We used Italsure for our Italian car, mainly because we had not insured here before, but after shopping around for my (re-registered) bike insurance we found that UK no claims was valid here and I insured my bike for about 450 euro (which when you think I paid about £150 a year in the UK hurt a bit) we used Genertel and they were pretty good.

What car do you have that you are struggling to sell?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Jan S is an unknown quantity at this point

Info for Cotton bud.
We have a UK car here. We insure with Fortis and they charge about £975 per year for unlimited overseas travel.
We've had our car here for just over a year.
Hope this info helps.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your advise, Think weve got it sorted, will keep you posted. The car i'm bringing over is a mini
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Jan S:what do you do about the MOT?

we have been here now about 3 years and i have a 10 yearold Ford Galaxy brought it over from the UK. kept it her for about 6 months then changed it over to Italian Number Plates: It was quite easy......as long as you know where to go and who to see
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Jan S is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mr Posh
Ours was a new car when we brought it here so it still has another 18 months before it needs an MOT.
It we decided to keep it then we would have to drive it back every year.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jan S
Hi Mr Posh
Ours was a new car when we brought it here so it still has another 18 months before it needs an MOT.
It we decided to keep it then we would have to drive it back every year.
Thats what we do, but we spend most of the summer in the UK so having our own car is a bonus. It comes back packed to the gills with stuff.

I have heard though that some insurance companies will accept the Italian revisione in lieu of an MOT. Have never investigated further though.