Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

NEW TO ITALY HELP NEEDED RE; WORKING

NEW TO ITALY HELP NEEDED RE; WORKING

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

laycott1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NEW TO ITALY HELP NEEDED RE; WORKING

Hi, My name is Mike and I'm new to this site, but i must say it looks very interesting and informative. I have just moved to the Marche region with my wife and two young children. I am a construction site manager and i am looking for advise on work in Italy. I am a plummer by trade and have been involved in building for 25 years. Back in the UK i have all relevent certificates etc to operate. Ideally i am looking to work with other people on refurbishments and general building work. I don't mind travelling and i am willing to do anything within reason to earn a decent living. I dont really want to go back to the uk to work if i can help it. If anyone out there has any advise or even want to pool experience with me i will be very interested.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Nuvoletta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NEW TO ITALY HELP NEEDED RE; WORKING

Hi Mike, main thing with working here is language, if you don't speak Italian you are going to struggle.

The other thing I have found is that I'm over qualified for lot's of jobs I have applied for (I am a mechanic by trade) and I ran my own business back in the UK. I get bumped for the job co's they can employ someone from the eastern Europe for a 1/4 what they would have to pay me... and they can treat him like a piece of sh*t..

Good luck with the job search. TEFL course and teach English? just a thought..
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:15 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, my OH is self-employed - very different area, recruitment - and he travels back and forth from the UK. Honestly I think until you can find some links into the expat's living in Le Marche and get work through them and learn the language, you will find you are going to have to do the travelling. Sometimes the price we have to pay to live somewhere nice!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Or is it the price the OH has to pay so the MRS lives in another place in the sun having the "dolce vita"
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:42 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
Or is it the price the OH has to pay so the MRS lives in another place in the sun having the "dolce vita"
You guessed! Less of the "Dolce" and a lot more of the "Vita" with the exchange rate at the mo'!