Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance!!!

Health Insurance!!!

Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance!!!

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
...and it's just confused me even more!

So can ANYONE, as Jan S suggests and has done, get an E106 and use it to get into the health service here without PHI, if they are not working here.
Apparently so as long as you have paid into the UK system and apply to Newcastle when you leave the UK.
It`s one of the things they forget to highlight. ;-(
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:16 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Lorna - you've just explained why all the GE people on secondment here in Florence get their healthcare really easily! I remember talk about the E106 now.. I should get Stephen to look into it as he is paying N.I. in the UK with his company.
Testarossa,

before you can even get your hands on the E106 application form you have to fill out another form first requesting the E106 and filling out info about jobs and residency and such like.

Have a look at the request form .....

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/ca8454.pdf
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:07 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Testarossa,
With regards to residency, I didn't realise I had achieved anything out of the ordinary, I visited, they told me what to produce, I went away got my stuff together and went back and hey presto - it all went through. I think as said many times on here with many subjects, it is down to where you live and the individual you deal with

As for working here - Yes, but paid by the UK Govt and therefore pay UK tax and UK NI contributions etc
Regards
Kenny
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:09 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

but have you got health cover for here and a GP etc ?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:16 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Lorna,
I replied on the other thread
Kenny
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Kenny and Moe
Lorna,
I replied on the other thread
Kenny
Just read it - thanks.

Military explains a few things.

You have a good day too.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Jan S is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All
I can only relate my own experiences.
When we went to apply for our residency, the San Venanzo commune gave me a printed document which had instructions of what you had to produce before they would process the residency.
There was a list of documents that would cover the health side of things.
One of the documents listed was the E106.
I rang the UK office and discussed with them my situation:
i.e previously worked full time
Now not working
Not of retirement age.
They said the E106 was what I needed. The sent me a form to complete and then they sent me 2 copies of the E106, both of which I had to submit with my residency application.
Once we'd collected all the other paperwork they asked for we went to the commune.
They looked at all the documentation. Filled in the application with us and 4 weeks later we got a call to collect our approved residency papers.
It's a lot more complicated if you are self employed, do any of your work here (even preparation) and if you pay UK tax as the UK will not cover you.
Any work done here (even just sending emails) is called 'working from a distance' and the UK say that you must pay local National Insurance.
Phew War & Peace springs to mind!!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:11 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Did those in War and Peace have E106s
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:15 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenny and Moe
Did those in War and Peace have E106s
It`s a minefield finding out about these things after, so I am sure you would never find out before you need help. ;-(
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

karenitaly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
It`s a minefield finding out about these things after, so I am sure you would never find out before you need help. ;-(
I used my european health insurance card for my blood tests and paid 60% of the costs which was about 80euros all together my pregnancy has cost me over 400euros just in doctor bills and im only 6months pregnant. The card i got was very easy to get, i filled out a form on the nhs website and recieved the card within 7 working days at my uk address, as long as you have paid your contributions within the last 6 months. dont know why the uk dont give it to everyone b'cos my partner who is italian has always had one and seems like most european countries get them automatically. My doctor here in italy is the one that actually told me about it.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by karenitaly
I used my european health insurance card for my blood tests and paid 60% of the costs which was about 80euros all together my pregnancy has cost me over 400euros just in doctor bills and im only 6months pregnant. The card i got was very easy to get, i filled out a form on the nhs website and recieved the card within 7 working days at my uk address, as long as you have paid your contributions within the last 6 months. dont know why the uk dont give it to everyone b'cos my partner who is italian has always had one and seems like most european countries get them automatically. My doctor here in italy is the one that actually told me about it.
Italian girls can get their check-ups, scans and blood tests for nothing .... and a lot of them still pay for private visits to the gynaecologist or scan man. Snobby ideas about the family planning ones not being good enough.

Some of them do it to see the same gyno each time though which I can understand. I did everything through the family planning with my second pregnancy and I never knew which gyno was going to be on duty from the hospital that day. It's not exactly comfortable being pawed by a different bloke each time.

Congratulations on the pregnancy anyway
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

karenitaly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Italian girls can get their check-ups, scans and blood tests for nothing .... and a lot of them still pay for private visits to the gynaecologist or scan man. Snobby ideas about the family planning ones not being good enough.

Some of them do it to see the same gyno each time though which I can understand. I did everything through the family planning with my second pregnancy and I never knew which gyno was going to be on duty from the hospital that day. It's not exactly comfortable being pawed by a different bloke each time.

Congratulations on the pregnancy anyway
thanks, well im happy with my gyno cos he is the only one in the area that speaks pretty good english so dont really mind paying for him but he is also the busiest so have to book my appointments 2months in advance and not dare cancel, which can be difficult.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:04 am

Oh my God ........ have just seen where you live. You are only about 30 minutes away from me ...... less if I use the tunnel. You're on the other side of the valley as they say here !

If ever you need any real one on one help pm or email me. My daughter was born in Valdagno hospital in 2000. I went there becasue the baby part of Schio was being merged into Thiene hospital at the time and it was a nightmare.

The Valdagno hospital was a bit scruffy looking but the staff were fab - all of them. The gyno present at the birth was brilliant. A really lovely man. I stayed there for 3 days.

Second child was born in Thiene. I hated almost everybody there and signed me and baby out the day after the birth and came home.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by karenitaly
But they are only supposed to be used by UK residents on holiday.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

TR - I can't remember where I read it, but I think you said that your OH pays UK tax and NI. If that is the case then you should also be able to get child benefit - we do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.