Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Having a baby in Italy in 2011

Having a baby in Italy in 2011

Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:43 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a baby in Italy in 2011

So I wonder if things will be different in 2012 compared to 2011?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:31 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
Guess what? I've only gone and got the OH pregnant! Well this is what the home test is telling me. Let's see what the doctor says later.

Congratulations Duffer and Mrs. A little brother or sister for Brando.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:09 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lorna, don't know yet. It's just been a few weeks.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:37 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Bilmey! Another Duffer. Congratulations.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 8:01 am
Pull my finger

Duffer Jr.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Guess what? I've only gone and got the OH pregnant! Well this is what the home test is telling me. Let's see what the doctor says later.
I like posts like this. Congrats.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:20 am
Pull my finger

Yep. She's definitely preggers! I'll have to start up another thread for OH:

Having a baby in Italy at 40!

And before you ask, I prefer older women
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to both of you
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:19 pm
Pull my finger

Thanks everyone. Already got lots of visits booked.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

I'll join your new thread duffer as I'll be 40 too when this kid is born.

Here's to us older parents!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:10 am
Pull my finger

That's great! Ours is due at the beginning of Feb 2012.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:32 pm
CKT
Just Joined

CKT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

I've just stumbled across this thread. My OH and I are thinking about having a baby soon and I was looking for information about giving birth in Italy. I just wondered how things went for Ballerina and Duffer's wife in particular.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 2:03 pm
Pull my finger

Things didn't go to plan, in July when we went for the CVS test, we discovered the 'baby' didn't have a heart beat, in the 11th week, so 2 days later we returned to the hospital for a 'clean-up'. The CVS is not very pleasant at all but at least we didn't have to go through it this time. Oh and this is how the female doctor broke the news to us, 'Madam, there is no heartbeat' with an expression that seemed like we were wasting her time! The nurses were fantastic but the doctors need a good slap to remind them they are dealing with people.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

ooh what an awful experience. I am so sorry for you and your wife.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

Things didn't go to plan, in July when we went for the CVS test, we discovered the 'baby' didn't have a heart beat, in the 11th week, so 2 days later we returned to the hospital for a 'clean-up'. The CVS is not very pleasant at all but at least we didn't have to go through it this time. Oh and this is how the female doctor broke the news to us, 'Madam, there is no heartbeat' with an expression that seemed like we were wasting her time! The nurses were fantastic but the doctors need a good slap to remind them they are dealing with people.
Oh god, that is tragic! how dreadful, and that stinking attitude, that is why I went back to England to have my baby.
My experience in La Spezia was awful but I probably would have gone back to England for the baby even if it had been ok, because OH had to go away on the ship and i didn't want to be alone, very pregnant, not able to drive etc.

We went to private gnaecologists and tried the consultorio (the 'nhs' free service) and to be honest, the only difference in service I could see was that with private, you pay about €100 every month for a visit, and you have a little bit more choice about appointment times. They still never addressed me or OH or explained anything, didn't like questions, refused to answer questions and the hospital was disgusting - no privacy, no security, I walked past several wards with doors wide open, all very scruffy, NO CURTAINS AROUND THE BEDS!
However, I have heard that the service varies from region to region.

Even OH said I shouldn't ever have a baby in Italy after a girl from his school nearly died in the hospital due to staff crapness a week after me (ironically, she lives in England and had come back to Italy to have the baby...).

On the other hand, Italy has a much lower labour fatality rate than England, but this could be argued that the rate is so high in England because of obesity related complications/teenage pregnancy rate (it's been suggested that teenager mothers are less likely to attend antenatal classes etc) and mothers who don't speak English.

Good luck x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.