Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

HAVE A LAUGH AND THEN LEARN .....easy mistakes to make in Italian

HAVE A LAUGH AND THEN LEARN .....easy mistakes to make in Italian

Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:39 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default HAVE A LAUGH AND THEN LEARN .....easy mistakes to make in Italian

SMILE AND TAKE HEED ............

Let's have a laugh - we all know how difficult it can be to learn Italian - especially when it gets mixed up with dialect so tell us about your little "gaffs".

Have you ever asked for pene instead of penne?
Have you ever told anybody that you're going for a pisellino instead of a pisolino?
Does the verb 'scopare' have a double meaning in your area?
Have you ever (like I once did) told a whole table of people that you won't eat "ucello" ?
Have you ever tried to translate an English proverb only to discover it makes no sense here?

Share your little faux-pas with us and let other readers learn from our mistakes.
Go on - have a laugh today and forget that it's piove cani e gatti !!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:10 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HAVE A LAUGH AND THEN LEARN .....easy mistakes to make in Italian

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
SMILE AND TAKE HEED ............

Let's have a laugh - we all know how difficult it can be to learn Italian - especially when it gets mixed up with dialect so tell us about your little "gaffs".

Have you ever asked for pene instead of penne?
Have you ever told anybody that you're going for a pisellino instead of a pisolino?
Does the verb 'scopare' have a double meaning in your area?
Have you ever (like I once did) told a whole table of people that you won't eat "ucello" ?
Have you ever tried to translate an English proverb only to discover it makes no sense here?

Share your little faux-pas with us and let other readers learn from our mistakes.
Go on - have a laugh today and forget that it's piove cani e gatti !!!!!!!!!
You so've asked for pene but then claim not to eat uccello?
Hmmmm.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:14 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha very funny - but not all of these mistakes are mine - and I prefer not to spend my money on pasta in a restaurant and get something different so the pene/penne mistake hasn't actually happened to me but to a friend. I admit to the ucello one though.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Beep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the rough

Umm rather a lot

Calling a firefighter a pompino instead of a pompiere

Telling someone that I had left the dog in the oven instead of the meat

Saying that I thought there was going to be tuna and lightening instead of thunder

Exclaiming how lovely the tits looked covered with snow instead of the roofs

Asking in the farmacia if they sold carpets to stick in my ears instead of earplugs

and thats just the ones I can remember off the top of my head
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Beep
Umm rather a lot

Saying that I thought there was going to be tuna and lightening instead of thunder

Asking in the farmacia if they sold carpets to stick in my ears instead of earplugs

oh I just loved the fireman pompino - never heard that one before
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

yellowdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beep
Umm rather a lot

Good one! I'm sure I've done a few of those. I don't pronounce my r's very well so dog and meat always sounds the same coming from me.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

genzana is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: HAVE A LAUGH AND THEN LEARN .....easy mistakes to make in Italian

My boyfriend's rugby team mates kindly taught him to say pompino instead of pompiere! With friends like these...

I've talked about the big "tette" in Alpine regions - meaning the overhanging roofs!

The double letters can be really hard for us to hear and pronounce I find - ani versus anni being the classic example (anuses versus years).

I regularly look for the cassetta instead of the casetta, or the palla instead of the pala.

Here's a good list I found online. Once you can pronounce the difference between these, you're rolling!

agio—ease, comfort aggio—premium
ano—anus anno—year
casa—house cassa—crate, box
eco—echo ecco—here
gramo—miserable grammo—gram
nono—ninth nonno—grandfather
note—note notte—night
pala—shovel palla—ball
papa—father pappa—bread soup
pena—pain penna—pen
rosa—rose rossa—red
sbafo—scrounging sbaffo—smear
sera—evening serra—greenhouse
sete—thirst sette—seven
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

sands will become famous soon enough

I showed this thread to my half Italian hubby who thought it was hysterical
I won't comment on what he thought about Duffy's answer ....
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

yellowdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by genzana
My boyfriend's rugby team mates kindly taught him to say pompino instead of pompiere! With friends like these...

I've talked about the big "tette" in Alpine regions - meaning the overhanging roofs!

The double letters can be really hard for us to hear and pronounce I find - ani versus anni being the classic example (anuses versus years).

I regularly look for the cassetta instead of the casetta, or the palla instead of the pala.

Here's a good list I found online. Once you can pronounce the difference between these, you're rolling!

agio—ease, comfort aggio—premium
ano—anus anno—year
casa—house cassa—crate, box
eco—echo ecco—here
gramo—miserable grammo—gram
nono—ninth nonno—grandfather
note—note notte—night
pala—shovel palla—ball
papa—father pappa—bread soup
pena—pain penna—pen
rosa—rose rossa—red
sbafo—scrounging sbaffo—smear
sera—evening serra—greenhouse
sete—thirst sette—seven
I think that we, as in english, have problems with the pronunciation because quite often in english there are silent letters in words. Whereas the italians pronounce every single letter in every word. I do think genzana's list is a good one to practice on.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

kathrynverona is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember my first meal with the inlaws where I understood that they had an exorcist living on the floor below, turns out it was only an estetiste. Easy mistake to make.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by yellowdog
I think that we, as in english, have problems with the pronunciation because quite often in english there are silent letters in words. Whereas the italians pronounce every single letter in every word. I do think genzana's list is a good one to practice on.
My name is Lorna so I often find myself being called Lorrrrrrna - but I have a group of friends who call me Lornina or Lornetta - I really don't mind this diminutive invention of my name but I often wonder what they would call me if I weighed a hundred kilos ..... LORNONA ????
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

kathrynverona is an unknown quantity at this point

I never get called by my name, not even by the hubbie. They just can't seem to cope with it. At work I'm usually bionda, kat, beffana, and several more that I can't list here or I'd be kicked off the site. They have difficulty with my son's name as well, they can't say the h in henry.
It quite funny as well when visitors come from the UK and they expect a bloke from the name and they turn out to be women (andrea)
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by kathrynverona
I never get called by my name, not even by the hubbie. They just can't seem to cope with it. At work I'm usually bionda, kat, beffana, and several more that I can't list here or I'd be kicked off the site. They have difficulty with my son's name as well, they can't say the h in henry.
It quite funny as well when visitors come from the UK and they expect a bloke from the name and they turn out to be women (andrea)
My sister is called Andrea. Nobody has a problem with the pronunciation of my daughter's name Chloe but they are all surprised it has an H in it. It even took her teacher 3 months to start writing it with an H and that was only because complained to her !!!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:04 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sands
I showed this thread to my half Italian hubby who thought it was hysterical
I won't comment on what he thought about Duffy's answer ....
you mean the grammatical error i made in muddling up the words. whoops. hehe.
Now where are my pene... Got some writing to do!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:07 pm
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
My name is Lorna so I often find myself being called Lorrrrrrna - but I have a group of friends who call me Lornina or Lornetta - I really don't mind this diminutive invention of my name but I often wonder what they would call me if I weighed a hundred kilos ..... LORNONA ????
We'll be the judge of that! How much do you weigh Lorni?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.