Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

GP access in Italy

GP access in Italy

Old Aug 9th 2022, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of
Default Re: GP access in Italy

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Mine is supposed to do that. We have an App called Sanità Km 0 except neither myself or my Dr has got mine working yet, so I can call for prescriptions but still have to pick them up from the ULSS building. Dr thinks the system doesn't like my codice fiscale. I'm so jaded I just think it's Italy.
Have you tried using the option to access Sanità Km 0 via a CIE (electronic ID) (assuming you have both such an ID card and a smart phone)? I find it swift and straightforward.
I started logging into Sanità Km 0 via the SPID system but gave up because the whole SPID-thing is SUCH a pain in the ****.
Old Aug 9th 2022, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fenman
For repeat prescriptions do they give you two months worth of tablets like in the UK or less?
Interesting. Seems the UK varies as much as Italy! We get 3 months supply on repeat, ordered online and delivered to your door here in Yorkshire.
Old Aug 10th 2022, 7:15 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plan B
Have you tried using the option to access Sanità Km 0 via a CIE (electronic ID) (assuming you have both such an ID card and a smart phone)? I find it swift and straightforward.
I started logging into Sanità Km 0 via the SPID system but gave up because the whole SPID-thing is SUCH a pain in the ****.

My ID card is still the paper one. I only need really need a tube of eczema cream now and again so using the computer or the call centre to get a prescription isn't really a problem. The chemist just sold it to me over the counter last time anyway. The SPID which laughably was supposedly designed to make access to all public websites and our lives easier has really pissed off so many people.
Old Aug 11th 2022, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I used to text my GP asking for an appointment and he would usually reply within an hour. He had 3 surgeries a week in the village, 1 of which was a walk-in one. It was incredibly simple to get an appointment and made such a difference from our UK GP where it was so difficult you would often see queues of elderly people lining up outside the surgery in their desperation to see a doctor when the place opened at 08:30.

In addition, the electronic prescription system meant that any prescription issued was allocated to your tessera sanitaria and so you could go to any pharmacy and collect your prescription, assuming it was in stock. Most prescriptions were charged but in my experience only €1 or €2. Not sure what the highest amount might be.

Having said all that, many aspects of the Italian healthcare system are managed regionally so I imagine experiences may vary considerably across the country.
Old Aug 11th 2022, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
I used to text my GP asking for an appointment and he would usually reply within an hour. He had 3 surgeries a week in the village, 1 of which was a walk-in one. It was incredibly simple to get an appointment and made such a difference from our UK GP where it was so difficult you would often see queues of elderly people lining up outside the surgery in their desperation to see a doctor when the place opened at 08:30.

In addition, the electronic prescription system meant that any prescription issued was allocated to your tessera sanitaria and so you could go to any pharmacy and collect your prescription, assuming it was in stock. Most prescriptions were charged but in my experience only €1 or €2. Not sure what the highest amount might be.

Having said all that, many aspects of the Italian healthcare system are managed regionally so I imagine experiences may vary considerably across the country.
You must have needed some very cheap medicine. My dog was ill last year and the four prescriptions (mainly antibiotics) cost €200. Even a box of Ibuprofen is around €7.
Old Aug 11th 2022, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

My memory may be failing me or I may have just been lucky. Not sure how relevant vet bills are for human prescriptions though?

I agree that paracaetomol etc. was far more expensive but I don't remember prescribed medicines being that dear. I guess it varies by pill though.
Old Aug 12th 2022, 6:56 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
My memory may be failing me or I may have just been lucky. Not sure how relevant vet bills are for human prescriptions though?

I agree that paracaetomol etc. was far more expensive but I don't remember prescribed medicines being that dear. I guess it varies by pill though.

There is no fixed prescription price here so you pay the price of the medicine which can vary greatly. During Covid I ran out of the 89p allergy tablets I buy in the UK and the cheapest, generic brand here was about €3.75. I was recently prescribed something called Feed Colon and bloody hell, it cost me about €22 which is possibly the most expensive thing I've been prescribed............and it doesn't seem to be making any difference to my life at all so I don't think I'll be buying a second box of it.
Old Aug 12th 2022, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lorna at Vicenza;13134387]There is no fixed prescription price here so you pay the price of the medicine which can vary greatly. During Covid I ran out of the 89p allergy tablets I buy in the UK and the cheapest, generic brand here was about €3.75. /QUOTE]

The Italian pharmaceutical industry is very influential and so successive governments have restricted the number of generic versions of medicines. It's particularly evident when comparing the price of things like ibuprofen and paracetamol. We always stock up in the UK or get family to bring some with them. So in that sense the Italian system is worse.

​​​​​​But on the other hand medicines for chronic illness or for long term reduction/prevention of risk can be free on prescription if you are enrolled in the national health system. There's no prescription charge like there is the UK. I think that the justification is that if people don't take medicine because of the cost and then end up in hospital it'll be more expensive for the state in the long run.
Seems to me to be a pretty sensible approach. Better than the UK.​​​​​
Or a doctor can give a private prescription which you do pay for. So for example the high cholesterol and high blood pressure tablets I have to take are normally free. But recently because of a dispute about my healthcare status I have had to pay...yet even then the price was cheaper than the cost of prescription charges in the UK.
Old Aug 13th 2022, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

For over the counter meds I use an online chemist. I found Saninforma to be the cheapest for paracetamol at

30 tabs Paracetamolo 500 mg Nova Argentia quantità 4 € 1.80 totale € 4.40

Old Aug 13th 2022, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

fenman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi if prescription for chronic issues are free do you know if this would be the case for a foreigners who has just become resident and bought into the healthcare and / or just purchased a health insurance?
Old Aug 14th 2022, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Hi if prescription for chronic issues are free do you know if this would be the case for a foreigners who has just become resident and bought into the healthcare and / or just purchased a health insurance?
I think (I'm not 100% certain) that the answer is in your question. If you "buy in" you are part of the system and get the benefits immediately, whereas if you buy health insurance you have "opted out" of the system, and I guess in that case you would then pay for private prescriptions
Old Aug 15th 2022, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

fenman is an unknown quantity at this point

Diabetic man, 27, died after GPs ‘failed to investigate rapidly deteriorating health’ (msn.com)

this is the sort of issue with GPs in the uk nowdays.
they will just not see people face to face, they have a very powerful union that protects them.
Old Aug 15th 2022, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Diabetic man, 27, died after GPs ‘failed to investigate rapidly deteriorating health’ (msn.com)

they will just not see people face to face, they have a very powerful union that protects them.
Where I live the news reports somebody colpito da malore almost everyday. I dont think anyone investigates.
Old Aug 15th 2022, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

All of the UK - no... Face-toface here is no problem...
Old Aug 16th 2022, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Prescriptions for chronic issues are free, but if you are new resident or not entitled - then obviously your insurance covers that cost, which means you must declare any underlying ongoing and chronic ailments to the insurance company when you get your cover. If you dont then the health insurers wont pay out a penny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.