Reload this Page >

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Old Mar 4th 2008, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

trimeee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Dear Fast Eddie

SKY weren't being diligent enough - it would seem - most of the dealers offering SKY cards abroad are finished and the cost of boxes ( and now yearly "admin" fees will apply to folk using a go-between for SKY cards ) will go up :-(
Old Mar 4th 2008, 3:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marky_mark
Nope.. SKY mustn't knowingly supply their service outside the areas where they have the TV rights.. quite a different thing !!
Phone up and tell them and see how quick they cut you off then.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 3:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fast_eddie1971
Indeed. By watching Sky outside the UK one is breaking the terms of the contract between the subscriber and Sky. To be precise, the term that says that the card must not be taken outside the United Kingdom and Ireland is being violated. Breaking a contract term is not the same as committing an illegal act, or a criminal offence.

One might argue that by signing the contract whilst fully intending to take the card outside the UK one is committing the criminal offence of obtaining goods by deception. But clearly the DPP isn't going to press charges even, if it ever found out. (It might be a different matter if we weren't paying for our subscriptions).

The only people who might be upset would be the host country satellite broadcaster who are being denied revenues from people residing in their country who might otherwise subscribe to their service. I'm not sure what they could actually do even if they did judge it to be a big problem, which in the great scheme of things I'm sure it isn't. (I'm sure they have their hands full making sure bars and clubs pay the commercial rate for showing live sport, for example, and not the domestic rate). But as in our (Italian) case the local satellite broadcaster is also Sky, I don't think they're going to be all that bothered.

Basically Sky can demonstrate to whoever might want to take them to court about it that they take reasonable steps to stop people watching abroad (e.g. requirement to have a UK address, processes to block cards if customers phone from a foreign number -though I don't know how often this really happens in practice-, clearly-stated contract terms forbidding non-UK use) and that would presumably be enough.

Obviously lots of senior Sky UK executives holiday across the continent and will have watched their favourite British footie team in pubs and bars from Seville to Stockholm. They're happy to turn a blind eye....and I certainly am not going to lose any sleep over my little deception.
A lot of people in Spain have been cut off when Sky found the third party has a few hundred setups registered to the same address in the UK. lol
Old Mar 5th 2008, 5:18 am
Just Joined

trimeee is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to be "careful" here as you are a moderator...

SKY *KNEW* about multiple subscribers .. there were 3000+ registered to one block of flats in London...

They had just turned a blind eye...

As you correctly state, phoning them up now from a non UK tel number will more likely result in immediate disconnection.

This is not SKY having a change of heart.. this is pressure from OFCom and dodgy SKY dealers "churning" clients and cheating SKY out of commissions.

Originally Posted by jdr
A lot of people in Spain have been cut off when Sky found the third party has a few hundred setups registered to the same address in the UK. lol
Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:13 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by trimeee
Have to be "careful" here as you are a moderator...

SKY *KNEW* about multiple subscribers .. there were 3000+ registered to one block of flats in London...

They had just turned a blind eye...

As you correctly state, phoning them up now from a non UK tel number will more likely result in immediate disconnection.

This is not SKY having a change of heart.. this is pressure from OFCom and dodgy SKY dealers "churning" clients and cheating SKY out of commissions.
I think Mr Virgin had a word or two in it also.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

yellowdog is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Genova and have been watching the bbc itv c4 and c5 for five years now quite happily. I did have a scare a few years back when they changed the cards but they sent me a new one to my old address which had a post off mail forwarding on it so I got the new one. I have Grundig digibox GDS9000 i think, they dont make them anymore. Nowadays you can get a Pace DS445N which is fine.
I've attached the astra 2d footprint which basically says if you are in northern italy you need a 1.2-1.5m dish. Bigger the better. Especially in the rain or thunderstorms.

A good LNB helps too.

HD Freesat launches in May which will need a new decoder to view hd picture. So if u are going to get a digibox soon and have a hd telly wait till they come out.
Attached Thumbnails Getting SKY Tv in Italy-astra2d_footprint.jpg  
Old Mar 20th 2008, 4:43 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowdog
Bigger the better.
And where you stick it
Old Mar 20th 2008, 6:09 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Genova and have been watching the bbc itv c4 and c5 for five years now quite happily. I did have a scare a few years back when they changed the cards but they sent me a new one to my old address which had a post off mail forwarding on it so I got the new one. I have Grundig digibox GDS9000 i think, they dont make them anymore. Nowadays you can get a Pace DS445N which is fine.
I've attached the astra 2d footprint which basically says if you are in northern italy you need a 1.2-1.5m dish. Bigger the better. Especially in the rain or thunderstorms.

A good LNB helps too.

HD Freesat launches in May which will need a new decoder to view hd picture. So if u are going to get a digibox soon and have a hd telly wait till they come out.
BTW How big is yours?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Whe-hey! Cheeky monkey!
My 1.5m dish is on the roof.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:33 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Whe-hey! Cheeky monkey!
My 1.5m dish is on the roof.
Bet that looks like goonhilly.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Nah, just one of three other normal size ones on the roof.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:34 am
Pull my finger

Nah, just one of three other normal size ones on the roof.
you have 3 dishes?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

No, I live in a apartment block and my neighbours, Italians, have put up their own dishes. I get a little pissed cos they are all on my part of the roof.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:36 pm
Pull my finger

No, I live in a apartment block and my neighbours, Italians, have put up their own dishes. I get a little pissed cos they are all on my part of the roof.
Guess what? I'm having a 120cm dish put up tomorrow just in case there is any disruption in signal, rain, fog, snow, etc during the Liverpool v Arsenal match in April!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds good. Mine goes off sometimes when it rains really hard. If you can go 1.5m its worth it. I'm hoping that the new decoders for freesat hd service from the bbc and itv will do both sd and hd so I don't need two decoders. I think the dish you have should be good for both. Can't wait to see F1 in hd if the bbc do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.