Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:58 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Sky Italia are pretty good at showing English matches too! I'm really pleased with Sky Italia. My husband has UK Sky in Spain on free to view and to be honest I prefer what I am getting here, although I am paying for the premium packages. Fox is great and something we don't get in the UK - not the news channel before anyone says anything! It's Fox Life, Crime and just Fox. I mainly watch Crime for CSI and the others for Lost, Brothers and Sisters etc. Heaven!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 12:47 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Sky Italia are pretty good at showing English matches too! I'm really pleased with Sky Italia. My husband has UK Sky in Spain on free to view and to be honest I prefer what I am getting here, although I am paying for the premium packages. Fox is great and something we don't get in the UK - not the news channel before anyone says anything! It's Fox Life, Crime and just Fox. I mainly watch Crime for CSI and the others for Lost, Brothers and Sisters etc. Heaven!
I already have the dish and decoder for Sky Italia but I don't like the idea of giving Rupert Murdoch any more of my hard earned cash especially since the bad experiences I had with Sky in the UK.

My decision to get UK TV was in order to have a better choice of TV programming and also to get it for free. Rai and Mediaset are not as good as the BBC or ITV in my opinion.

I can also get stuff for free which I would have had to pay for here in Italy, e.g.
Serie A Football is live and free on C5 every Sunday afternoon. This Sunday the live match is Juventus v Udinese.
A choice of Champions League matches for free featuring British teams and on nights when Rai are not showing their match.
The womens World Cup football... ok enough of football for now. However there is also the Rugby World cup on ITV, England's cricket series with India has just come to an end.

I like the sound of Fox. I've never seen it before and I probably would watch it. I have C5 US which is showing all the new US crime shows like CSI, Law and Order, etc and then there is also C5 Life.

Channel 4 have all the those shows like Lost and Brothers and Sisters, etc.

But importantly, I got to watch England beat Russia 3-0 last night live and direct with analysis from Alan Hansen!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 12:55 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not bothered about the calcio you see, so I didn't get that anyway, just sport which is showing the rugger.

Yeah, Fox is pretty much C5, having said that my husband can't get it in Spain on his freeview so they must be out of range. Interestingly I was watching Brothers and Sisters on C4 last week in UK and it was at exactly the same point as on Fox so I didn't miss anything!

Basically I just found it easier than risking the card not working etc and it was easy to do. However I also have Alice TV (don't ask how) which I haven't connected yet - it streams off the broadband connection. Will be interesting to see how that works out as the box is like Sky+ so records etc. but for a fraction of the cost. It's about an extra €4 on top of my broadband which is why I didn't send it back when it arrived!!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:48 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!
You have Alice TV! I've been waiting for absolutely ages for them to cover our area. We've had 4mega broadband for ages but not the 20mega which is required for Alice TV.
We can't even get a signal for digital terrestrial where we are
Let me know how you get on with Alice please.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:46 am
The Original Red Head!

Sure, now my kids are at school I was planning on trying to work it out! You keep it connected to the wireless modem so you either need really long leads or everything in one place including the sockets etc.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:37 am
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Sure, now my kids are at school I was planning on trying to work it out! You keep it connected to the wireless modem so you either need really long leads or everything in one place including the sockets etc.
Behind the back of my TV it's a complete nightmare. We've tried to have everything in one place. And for some reason we have 2 videos neither of which is working properly

Just out of interest is there anyone who has brought their UK video to Italy and found trouble recording due to signal interference? I can record only Rai3 but for all the other channels there is too much noise distortion. I no longer have the instructions to the video :curse:
Old Sep 17th 2007, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

CarrieW is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by duffer
Just out of interest is there anyone who has brought their UK video to Italy and found trouble recording due to signal interference? I can record only Rai3 but for all the other channels there is too much noise distortion. I no longer have the instructions to the video :curse:
Our UK video has worked fine on the couple of occasions I have wanted to record something here. Have you tried looking on your video manufacturers website for a PDF the instruction book?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 12:13 pm
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by CarrieW
Our UK video has worked fine on the couple of occasions I have wanted to record something here. Have you tried looking on your video manufacturers website for a PDF the instruction book?
No luck there. I think I need the technical instructions because it must be the RF channel of the video causing the problem. Did you get your video after UK Channel 5 first started broadcasting? Do you remember there were problems?
Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:46 am
Just Joined

JENNY GAZZA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, its Jenny again, well i had my best ever treat installed in febuary this year....i put up a new satelite dish exclusively to watch Astra 28. On this i watch Bbc 1 2 3 4, Itv 1 2+ 3, what more could you wish for!!!! You need to find a good technician, who really knows what he is doing. I think i spent 300.00euro in all including a new digi box. I live in the Reggio emilia area, if any of you need the tel no will happily provide... Bye for now,Jenny
Old Sep 18th 2007, 12:56 pm
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by JENNY GAZZA
....i put up a new satelite dish exclusively to watch Astra 28. On this i watch Bbc 1 2 3 4, Itv 1 2+ 3, what more could you wish for!!!! Bye for now,Jenny
Hello Jenny!

I am experiencing loss of signal on all the BBC, ITV & Film Four channels from about 6pm for BBC2 and around 8.30pm for BBC1 and ITV until about 11-11.30pm when all the channels return. There are no problems with C4 or C5.

Do you have any loss of signal or experienced this initially?

You wouldn't also happen to know the 'skew' of your LNB??
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

dpmerano is an unknown quantity at this point

I was also thinking about the idea to get UK Television since I do kinda miss East Enders but wasn't really sure how to do it without having to pay SKY........here is with what I came up:

Thought about buying a used Sky Box on Ebay togheter with the card....which is not beeing used anymore but which supposidly still gives you access to Freeview Channels incl. Ch4 and 5

Joining it togheter with a:

Wavefrontier Toroidal T 90 Satellite dish with which I can also pick up other channels such as germans due to it's unique design.....

Has anyone made any experiences with that?

Or is it perhaps better just to get the satellite dish and to align to the Astra Satellite to get the simple BBC channels? And is a dish of appox. 85cm enough for it? -----> Remember I am located pretty north of Italy (Province Bolzano) close on the boarder to Austria and Switzerland.

Thanks for any advise.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

Just in case it helps anyone.

We live on the southern end of Lago Maggiore and get Sky Inglese with a 1.2m dish and 0.4dB LNB fitted by a local company. We only get dropouts in the most extreme weather conditions. We brought our SKYbox with us from UK., where we already had a subscription.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:50 am
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by sangiano
Just in case it helps anyone.

We live on the southern end of Lago Maggiore and get Sky Inglese with a 1.2m dish and 0.4dB LNB fitted by a local company. We only get dropouts in the most extreme weather conditions. We brought our SKYbox with us from UK., where we already had a subscription.
Ciao! Are you also picking up the BBC and ITV channels?
I have an 87cm dish and 0.2dB LNB but lose the signal of first BBC2, then ITV and for about an hour BBC1 in the evenings. However, these are broadcasting from the Astra 2D satellite whereas Sky UK from 2A+2B.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:06 am
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by dpmerano
I was also thinking about the idea to get UK Television since I do kinda miss East Enders but wasn't really sure how to do it without having to pay SKY........here is with what I came up:

Thought about buying a used Sky Box on Ebay togheter with the card....which is not beeing used anymore but which supposidly still gives you access to Freeview Channels incl. Ch4 and 5

Joining it togheter with a:

Wavefrontier Toroidal T 90 Satellite dish with which I can also pick up other channels such as germans due to it's unique design.....

Has anyone made any experiences with that?

Or is it perhaps better just to get the satellite dish and to align to the Astra Satellite to get the simple BBC channels? And is a dish of appox. 85cm enough for it? -----> Remember I am located pretty north of Italy (Province Bolzano) close on the boarder to Austria and Switzerland.

Thanks for any advise.
Hi dpmerano,
You should have no problems getting Channel 4 and Channel 5 with a 60cm dish in the north of Italy but the bigger the dish the better for the BBC and ITV channels. However your location is quite good so maybe with the standard 85cm dish you'll pick the Beeb and EastEnders! I certainly can watch EastEnders with an 87cm dish in Vicenza.
There is a forum member Testarossa who has a couple of UK Sky boxes. You'll need these to descramble the C4 + C5 signal in conjunction with a viewing card (I got mine from forum member dcswiftly) as these are Free To View channels instead of Free To Air like the BBC.
You'll need another decoder to pick up the 'foreign' channels though.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

Originally Posted by duffer
Ciao! Are you also picking up the BBC and ITV channels?
I have an 87cm dish and 0.2dB LNB but lose the signal of first BBC2, then ITV and for about an hour BBC1 in the evenings. However, these are broadcasting from the Astra 2D satellite whereas Sky UK from 2A+2B.
Ciao to you as well!

All channels are perfect - no dropouts at all, unless the raindrops are the size of golf balls!

We occasionally lose the weakest channels from 2D in the worst of a storm, but otherwise no problems.

It's going to be academic shortly as we're moving to the States, which is a shame really, as I like Italy too much - but needs must!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.