Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:21 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Originally Posted by issydebacco
In reply to Duffy
I have tried to re set channels just by switching off at mains for a couple of minutes and turning back on holding down Back Up meanwhile it is re starting. Other than that I don`t know how to re set channels as my System Set Up only has Add Channels and it won`t let me do that either ! I can`t find anything like New Installations on the screen. If Channel 4 HAS moved to Satellite 2D then I probably won`t get it back as I have never received BBC 1 etc.
I had the same problem a few months back which was resolved simply by switching off at the mains the decoder. However if this didn't do the trick then it's likely you will need a bigger dish.

C4's contract with Sky is ending therefore instead of an encrypted signal on Astra 2B it is moving to a free to air unencrypted signal on Astra 2D. This is where most of the Freesat channels are broadcasting from.

This will leave you with only C5 broadcasting from Astra 2B. They currently have no deal with Freesat.

However, try this setting using the Add Channels method -
12168 V 27500 2/3
This is C4 but you will always have to access it from the Other channels menu as it will not show up in the EPG.

Ciao for now.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

clare-h is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Duffer - I'll try with the dish I have and if not then buy a bigger one - I'll let you know. I'll no doubt need some help once we start playing around with it. Hope you don't mind - thanks again CH
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

issydebacco is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks SO much Duffer. I just tried it out and I successfully added Ch 4 to the other channels. Don`t know how long I will be able to watch it , if it is due to move but believe me every day is a bonus at the moment ! I am so grateful and will drink your health with a mega glass of prosecco tonight ( watching Ch 4 of course ! ) .
Ciao Bello !
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:01 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clare-h
Thanks Duffer - I'll try with the dish I have and if not then buy a bigger one - I'll let you know. I'll no doubt need some help once we start playing around with it. Hope you don't mind - thanks again CH
Yes of course!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:03 am
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by issydebacco
Thanks SO much Duffer. I just tried it out and I successfully added Ch 4 to the other channels. Don`t know how long I will be able to watch it , if it is due to move but believe me every day is a bonus at the moment ! I am so grateful and will drink your health with a mega glass of prosecco tonight ( watching Ch 4 of course ! ) .
Ciao Bello !
Excellent! I hope you don't have a prosecco hangover this morning!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Wiffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by duffer
If you guys are interested in watching the olympic games on the Beeb then perhaps this trick might work - if you can receive BBC News that is!

Select 503 for BBC News.

Press text.

Key in 3001 and press Select.

This should give you access to any sports interactive channels.

The Beeb is being broadcast from Astra 2D whereas the interactive channels from Astra 2B.
It works and is much more handy than Eurosport because of the multiscreens. Thanks a bunch!

(How do you guys find these thinigs?)
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Pleased to report no hangover this morning ( surprisingly all things considered! ) so tempted to indulge again tonight ,whist watching Kevin McCloud ( sp ? ) Bliss ! Have a great week .
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Mary53 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, can anyone advise me? Duffer you seem to know your onions! We have recently moved to the Todi area of Umbria. We installed a 150cm satellite dish pointing 28.2 degrees east at Astra 2D and a Free sat box. We failed to get any UK terrestrial channels but did get a few cable channels and BBC news24 etc. We then brought over our sky+ digi box and card and received brilliant pix of all the Sky channels, Sky movies Sky sport but still no BBC or ITV, although we did get Channel 4 and 5, but no Film Four or More Four. Is there anything you guys can recommend we do? I'd be really grateful for any advice.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:25 pm
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by Mary53
Hello, can anyone advise me? Duffer you seem to know your onions! We have recently moved to the Todi area of Umbria. We installed a 150cm satellite dish pointing 28.2 degrees east at Astra 2D and a Free sat box. We failed to get any UK terrestrial channels but did get a few cable channels and BBC news24 etc. We then brought over our sky+ digi box and card and received brilliant pix of all the Sky channels, Sky movies Sky sport but still no BBC or ITV, although we did get Channel 4 and 5, but no Film Four or More Four. Is there anything you guys can recommend we do? I'd be really grateful for any advice.
If you are receiving the Sky channels then at least your dish is correctly aligned to the correct satellite. BBC and ITV channels are broadcasting from Astra 2D whereas the others you mentioned are broadcasting from Astra 2B which would explain why there is no signal. Try tuning in during the day to the BBC, i.e. mid morning to mid afternoon when the signal is strongest. If you are getting some signal but then losing it then I can recommend only getting a bigger dish. I presume you are receiving the no signal received error message rather than technical fault message.
The fact you do not receive any BBC or ITV would mean it's not worth investing in higher quality cable (which can really improve the signal quality if you are at least getting some signal) but you may want to re-check your LNB skew to see if it improves things - it might be just a case of fine tuning. Just make sure you make a mark on the LNB to note its current position in case you balls-up completely.

Last edited by duffer; Aug 11th 2008 at 8:27 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Mary53 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Duffer, thanks very much for your reply. A friend of ours think it is probably a frequency problem rather than a signal problem. He sent us this advice, I'd appreciate a second opinion.

"Resetting the box - the dummies' guide.

(1) Physically unplug your box from the mains supply for (at least) ten seconds.
(2) Plug the box back into the mains
(3) Wait five seconds
(4) Turn the box on with the remote - until the box shows a green light, not a red one.
(5) Press the Services Button.
(6) Press, in succession but without pausing, 4, 0, 1 and Select You should now be in the Installer's Menu.
(7) Press 2 - Default Transponder
(8) Select the Frequency (GHz) box line and type in 12129 (the default is 11778). If this doesn't work, you can also try 12441, 12051 or 12207.
(9) Scroll down and select Polarization. This should show V. (There are only two choices, V and H; if necessary, change by pressing the right key (to the right of Select) on your remote.
(10) Scroll down to Save New Settings and press Select. This will bring you back to the Installers Menu.
(11) Press Back Up Three Times. Your screen should now display "Searching For Listings".
(12) Wait a couple of minutes for channel 998 to "come in". The process is now complete, and you should be able to select the channel of your choice".
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:04 pm
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by Mary53
Hi Duffer, thanks very much for your reply. A friend of ours think it is probably a frequency problem rather than a signal problem. He sent us this advice, I'd appreciate a second opinion.

"Resetting the box - the dummies' guide.

(1) Physically unplug your box from the mains supply for (at least) ten seconds.
(2) Plug the box back into the mains
(3) Wait five seconds
(4) Turn the box on with the remote - until the box shows a green light, not a red one.
(5) Press the Services Button.
(6) Press, in succession but without pausing, 4, 0, 1 and Select You should now be in the Installer's Menu.
(7) Press 2 - Default Transponder
(8) Select the Frequency (GHz) box line and type in 12129 (the default is 11778). If this doesn't work, you can also try 12441, 12051 or 12207.
(9) Scroll down and select Polarization. This should show V. (There are only two choices, V and H; if necessary, change by pressing the right key (to the right of Select) on your remote.
(10) Scroll down to Save New Settings and press Select. This will bring you back to the Installers Menu.
(11) Press Back Up Three Times. Your screen should now display "Searching For Listings".
(12) Wait a couple of minutes for channel 998 to "come in". The process is now complete, and you should be able to select the channel of your choice".
I'm no expert but my first guess is that your dish is not big enough.
Anyway try the different frequencies listed above to see if you have any luck. Tune into 101 to check if the Beeb is there or alternatively flick thru the regional BBC channels in the high 900 channels - sometimes the signal is better on BBC Channels Islands for example.
Just remember that the frequencies your friend listed are for Sky UK channels which are broadcasting from Astra 2B although the BBC interactive channels are perhaps on 12441. Maybe you should try the backdoor via BBC News that I mentioned earlier in this thread to watch the BBC coverage of the Olympics - just to see if you can get the BBC (albeit interactive only).
In addition, on your Freesat, you could try the following frequencies -
All on 22000 5/6:
10714H, 10729V, 10758V, 10773H, 10788V, 10803H, 10818V, 10832H, 10847V or 10891H.
These are all Freesat channels broadcasting from Astra 2D. All can be entered via the installers menu.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:09 pm
Ron

ronold is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i am currently living just south of Rome. I have a sky digibox and card. Was wondering what size dish i need and which direction to point it in,?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:32 am
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ronold
Hi i am currently living just south of Rome. I have a sky digibox and card. Was wondering what size dish i need and which direction to point it in,?

I would say something like 1.500met
And they say made in SPAIN is best.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

This will probably not last for long but if you press services on your remote, then 4 system setup, then 4 add channels, frequency is highlighted. Key in 12168. move the highlight down to find channels press select and C4L Test1 is shown. press yellow button on remote and C4L test1 gets a tick. press select and then the Sky button. Now to get CH4 press services, then 6 other channels, C4Ltest1 is there highlighted press select and voila CH4.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Thought it was too good to last !! Tuned in Channel 4 via System Set Up etc.(C4L test 1) last week and enjoyed it for a few days but today there was a "Technical Fault " message and later the channel had disappeared from the Other Channels setting and I can`t re tune it in again. Has anybody else had the same problem ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.