Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Wiffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Originally Posted by Wiffy
Thanks a lot!!!
Thanks a lot duffer and yellowdog. I finally managed to get my head around ebay bidding and bought a supposedly brand new with full software update pace ds430. Also bought another pana ds30 (really not sure why).

Anyway waiting on shipping - hope they work when they finally get here!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:27 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot duffer and yellowdog. I finally managed to get my head around ebay bidding and bought a supposedly brand new with full software update pace ds430. Also bought another pana ds30 (really not sure why).

Anyway waiting on shipping - hope they work when they finally get here!
Well you can run 2 cables from the dish providing you have at least a dual LNB. Although you'll need a subcription to have multi-room Sky premium channels but at the very least you can watch Sky in one room and use the other decoder just for the normal terrestrial channels without need for subcription or viewing card.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by duffer
Well you can run 2 cables from the dish providing you have at least a dual LNB. Although you'll need a subcription to have multi-room Sky premium channels but at the very least you can watch Sky in one room and use the other decoder just for the normal terrestrial channels without need for subcription or viewing card.

I am almost sure that I do not have a dual LNB but I will run up to the terrace and check that this evening. Is it not possible to use that splitter thingy on the one existing cable coming into the house?

If I must get the dual LNB is it something I can buy here? Any recommendations?

(Sorry for the 20 questions but since I am alone here and don't have a clue about these things, I like to be prepared when I call the techs. They are always trying to rip me off but since I already have the info I can fight back. It usually works)
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:10 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I am almost sure that I do not have a dual LNB but I will run up to the terrace and check that this evening. Is it not possible to use that splitter thingy on the one existing cable coming into the house?

If I must get the dual LNB is it something I can buy here? Any recommendations?

(Sorry for the 20 questions but since I am alone here and don't have a clue about these things, I like to be prepared when I call the techs. They are always trying to rip me off but since I already have the info I can fight back. It usually works)
splitter is only going to 'split' the same signal therefore you will need to watch the same programme on each receiver (there may be some channels that use the same frequencies in which case you could watch 2 different programs but if one channel was broadcasting on the V band and another program on the H band it would be impossible).

A multiswitch maybe a solution but i think the best and cheapest option is to pick up a dual lnb off ebay, especially now that you're an ebay expert! i would choose the cheapest lnb possible (mine is a €10 job from ebay) unless you have some reception issues in which case a higher quality one should be used.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

splitter is only going to 'split' the same signal therefore you will need to watch the same programme on each receiver (there may be some channels that use the same frequencies in which case you could watch 2 different programs but if one channel was broadcasting on the V band and another program on the H band it would be impossible).

A multiswitch maybe a solution but i think the best and cheapest option is to pick up a dual lnb off ebay, especially now that you're an ebay expert! i would choose the cheapest lnb possible (mine is a €10 job from ebay) unless you have some reception issues in which case a higher quality one should be used.
Thanks a lot. Will look into the dual LNB. Just another geenral question - I saw on a previous post you said you get almost 90% signal strength and quality with a 1m dish??? I find that absolutely amazing since my signal strength in Rome is never more than 50% and especially in the evenings my signal quality is non-existent! It's annoying but I was wondering if the 1.2 m dish really makes that much difference (mine is now 1 m) or is there something else wrong?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 2:51 pm
Pull my finger

Thanks a lot. Will look into the dual LNB. Just another geenral question - I saw on a previous post you said you get almost 90% signal strength and quality with a 1m dish??? I find that absolutely amazing since my signal strength in Rome is never more than 50% and especially in the evenings my signal quality is non-existent! It's annoying but I was wondering if the 1.2 m dish really makes that much difference (mine is now 1 m) or is there something else wrong?
Mine is a 125cm dish (130 x 120cm) which was upgraded from an 87cm dish. Massive improvement. If you have signal during the day but lose it during the evening then it might be useful to upgrade your dish. This would only be relevant for the BBC and ITV channels. I don't think you have a problem with Sky channels do you? Don't worry too much about the signal readings if you are able to view all channels 24/7.
Besides, I'm in NE Italy and you are a lot further south!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Mine is a 125cm dish (130 x 120cm) which was upgraded from an 87cm dish. Massive improvement. If you have signal during the day but lose it during the evening then it might be useful to upgrade your dish. This would only be relevant for the BBC and ITV channels. I don't think you have a problem with Sky channels do you? Don't worry too much about the signal readings if you are able to view all channels 24/7.
Besides, I'm in NE Italy and you are a lot further south!
Okidoke thanks. Pace Box arrived. Card not yet paired. Looking at available FTV channels - mostly news and Reality!

Sorry I'm the girl with 20 questions - for the second box - can I just buy an FTV card (it is FTV enabled) to see more channels??? Of course after I set up the double LNB etc.? Would it work?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 3:35 pm
Pull my finger

Okidoke thanks. Pace Box arrived. Card not yet paired. Looking at available FTV channels - mostly news and Reality!

Sorry I'm the girl with 20 questions - for the second box - can I just buy an FTV card (it is FTV enabled) to see more channels??? Of course after I set up the double LNB etc.? Would it work?
Hi Wiffy, so the card isn't paired therefore I assume you are obtaining a Sky TV package, yes?

Are you able to view any BBC or ITV channels? If not then your dish might not be big enough. These channels are on Astra 2D. Although after first inserting the card into the decoder it might take 24hrs for the signal to be 'switched' on.

Are you able to view C4 and C5? These channels are on Astra 2B and in the case of C5 are encrypted therefore your FTV card should be working.

If you haven't already got the dual LNB why don't you just connect up the second decoder and use the card you have to check everything is working.

Let us know how you get on!

Ciao for now.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Hi Wiffy, so the card isn't paired therefore I assume you are obtaining a Sky TV package, yes?

Are you able to view any BBC or ITV channels? If not then your dish might not be big enough. These channels are on Astra 2D. Although after first inserting the card into the decoder it might take 24hrs for the signal to be 'switched' on.

Are you able to view C4 and C5? These channels are on Astra 2B and in the case of C5 are encrypted therefore your FTV card should be working.

If you haven't already got the dual LNB why don't you just connect up the second decoder and use the card you have to check everything is working.

Let us know how you get on!

Ciao for now.
I have a SKY Package, just haven't paired the card with the new box. In my six years here, I have never ever received BBC or ITV - except Parliament and now News. I do get Channel 4 and 5. At the beginning I was told I needed a 1.8/2 m dish to get BBC in Rome. At that point I didn't think BBC was that important. Do you know of persons in Rome who receive BBC and ITV? If so, do you know their dish size?

I was scared to push my subscription card in the new box because it hadn't yet been paired. Will do the pairing this weekend - so I can be ready for the next Test match. I don't have the FTV card - I was asking if I would need it for the other box since presumably I can't use the subscription card with two boxes?? Haven't got the dual LNB as yet and I'm also trying to get a satellite finder thingy to fool around with (like you just totally confused me with 2d and 2b - if I get ch4 & 5 and not ITV does that mean that my dish is not correctly positioned??? I do get all my SKY subscription channels - no probs).

I'm really sorry to bug you with all these questions but this is the first time I can really talk to someone in Italy about this - other than the Italian guys who want to suck my pockets dry.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

I have a SKY Package, just haven't paired the card with the new box. In my six years here, I have never ever received BBC or ITV - except Parliament and now News. I do get Channel 4 and 5. At the beginning I was told I needed a 1.8/2 m dish to get BBC in Rome. At that point I didn't think BBC was that important. Do you know of persons in Rome who receive BBC and ITV? If so, do you know their dish size?

I was scared to push my subscription card in the new box because it hadn't yet been paired. Will do the pairing this weekend - so I can be ready for the next Test match. I don't have the FTV card - I was asking if I would need it for the other box since presumably I can't use the subscription card with two boxes?? Haven't got the dual LNB as yet and I'm also trying to get a satellite finder thingy to fool around with (like you just totally confused me with 2d and 2b - if I get ch4 & 5 and not ITV does that mean that my dish is not correctly positioned??? I do get all my SKY subscription channels - no probs).

I'm really sorry to bug you with all these questions but this is the first time I can really talk to someone in Italy about this - other than the Italian guys who want to suck my pockets dry.
Card paired in time for the 20/20 finals! Works great (of course no BBC/ITV)!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Card paired in time for the 20/20 finals! Works great (of course no BBC/ITV)!
Why no BBC or ITV, they are freebies on Sky system ?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
I have never been able to get them. Perhaps I need to replace my 1m dish with one of 2m (which is not going to happen). Or perhaps I need a miracle - but the message No satellite signal received is about all I've ever received from BBC/ITV channels. Everything else works perfectly (given one or two breakups late at night).
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:08 pm
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by jdr
Most Sky channels are broadcast from the Astra 2B satellite whereas the BBC and ITV are broadcast from Astra 2D. Astra 2B has a strong signal which can be picked up from most of Europe however the Astra 2D signal is focused on the UK but can be picked up from Europe with a large dish. All the satellites that form the cluster that is Astra 2 are in the same position, i.e. 28.2 degrees EAST so your dish needs only be pointed in 1 direction.

There are some changes occurring at the moment due to the launch of Freesat in that some BBC and ITV channels are being broadcast from Astra 2B but you will need to manually tune these in. However this might be only temporary but do a check and you might be able to enjoy it while it lasts!

Because the BBC and ITV channels are not encrypted, you will not require a viewing card to decode the signal, i.e. they are free to air FTA. Free to view FTV channels require the card but now I think it is only C5 that is encrypted with C4, C4+1, E4, More 4 and E4+1 being moved to FTA.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:17 pm
Pull my finger

...the Italian guys who want to suck my pockets dry.
Better than sucking your tits dry like my son Brando has been trying to do to the OH until recently
Old Jul 28th 2008, 4:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been able to get them. Perhaps I need to replace my 1m dish with one of 2m (which is not going to happen). Or perhaps I need a miracle - but the message No satellite signal received is about all I've ever received from BBC/ITV channels. Everything else works perfectly (given one or two breakups late at night).
Have you tried all the different regions around the 900 channel numbers ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.