Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:58 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Did you get your Sky Tv sorted out ?
From Lorna
Yeah finally sorted it although with this heavy rain at the moment not sure I'll be able to watch Eastenders tonight on the Beeb. I'll have to watch How to Look Good Naked followed by Diets that Time Forgot with the OH on C4.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:15 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
Yeah finally sorted it although with this heavy rain at the moment not sure I'll be able to watch Eastenders tonight on the Beeb. I'll have to watch How to Look Good Naked followed by Diets that Time Forgot with the OH on C4.
good for you - you must be using a british box though as I don't get Channel 4. I have Italian Sky TV which gives me the option of watching programmes in their original language (mostly American stuff) but I do get BBC Prime so I too get a daily dose of Eastenders ...... it's when i do some ironing as I can't stand ironing ... and some of those American programmes like Wife Swap are just too weird to miss - some of those people are truly crazy !!!!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:14 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
good for you - you must be using a british box though as I don't get Channel 4. I have Italian Sky TV which gives me the option of watching programmes in their original language (mostly American stuff) but I do get BBC Prime so I too get a daily dose of Eastenders ...... it's when i do some ironing as I can't stand ironing ... and some of those American programmes like Wife Swap are just too weird to miss - some of those people are truly crazy !!!!!
Yes it's a UK digibox and the dish is pointing at Sky UK however I don't have a subscription to Sky. I am watching all the free television channels, e.g. BBC1-4, ITV1-4, Film4, C4, C5, C5 US, C5 Life. The most important thing for me is that everything is free and it's English TV!
The only thing I pay for is Setanta Sports for the live football - an added bonus are the Liverpool FC & Arsenal TV channels!

Last edited by duffer; Apr 15th 2008 at 9:16 am. Reason: Missing content
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:17 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

If I moved my satellite dish around do you think I could get them too ? Or am I stuck with Italian Sky?

I'm a whiz with computers but not with satellite.

Yes it's a UK digibox and the dish is pointing at Sky UK however I don't have a subscription to Sky. I am watching all the free television channels, e.g. BBC1-4, ITV1-4, Film4, C4, C5, C5 US, C5 Life. The most important thing for me is that everything is free and it's English TV!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:26 am
Pull my finger

You can move the dish but it depends on the size of the dish and the type of your decoder. If you have a big dish, at least 100cm for Vicenza, you can turn it to 28.2 degrees east, you can get the BBC and ITV channels for free. These channels are free to air without encryption so can be picked up with most recent receivers. These channels broadcast from Astra 2D for which the signal is weak in Italy.
For C4 and C5, you can get away with using a normal dish of 60-80cm but you'll need an old Sky UK viewing card as these channels are free to view meaning although they are free to view the signal is encrypted for which you'll need a viewing card and I am guessing a more sophisticated decoder or a UK digibox that accepts the viewing card. These channels currently broadcast from Astra 2A or Astra 2B which has stronger reception in Italy. Although later this year they should switch to Astra 2D in which case you'll need a bigger dish but will no longer require the viewing cards. In fact you can manually tune C4 on Astra 2D and watch it without the viewing card.
Old May 26th 2008, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

conegliano is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

We are moving to Susegana (TV) in September.Have read the threads and ,correct me if I am wrong,the choice seems to be SKy Italia installed locally ,or bring SKY UK equipment and have dish installed separately by local engineer.We will be in a small apartment building and dish will have to go on roof.
Can I pick your brains and ask what you would recommend based on your considerable experience.We have Sky plus here in UK at the moment.
Many thanks
Old May 26th 2008, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

yellowdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by conegliano
We are moving to Susegana (TV) in September.Have read the threads and ,correct me if I am wrong,the choice seems to be SKy Italia installed locally ,or bring SKY UK equipment and have dish installed separately by local engineer.We will be in a small apartment building and dish will have to go on roof.
Can I pick your brains and ask what you would recommend based on your considerable experience.We have Sky plus here in UK at the moment.
Many thanks
I'm in Genova the other end of italy. I have a 1m dish which i use and can see fine all channels. You are correct in your assumption. Personally I'd go for sky uk if the dish size you would need for Susegana isn't prohibitive. Sky plus is possible abroad I think but I'm sure duffer is more up on that.
There are lots of experts on http://www.avforums.com/
Old May 26th 2008, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Many thanks.What UK Sky equipment did you bring/buy with you ?
Old May 27th 2008, 9:28 am
Pull my finger

For the Sky+ UK you can continue to keep your existing subscription and payment method and just bring the box over to Italy (as long as you've had Sky for more than 12 months) but you will need to install a DUAL LNB at the end of the dish and 2 cables running from it to the Sky+ box.

If you cancel your Sky subscription you can still view the free to air channels such as BBC, ITV etc but will lose the Sky+ functionality, i.e recording, pausing live TV. Alternatively you can activate it for £10 a month which imo is not worth it.

You might be ok with a 1m dish but if you can go for a 1.2m to be on the safe side.
Old May 27th 2008, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

That's great.The dual lnb and the 2 cables running from the end of the dish to the sky+ box should presumably be straightforward for installation engineer ?
(I can't bang a nail in a wall straight !)
Old May 27th 2008, 3:59 pm
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by conegliano
That's great.The dual lnb and the 2 cables running from the end of the dish to the sky+ box should presumably be straightforward for installation engineer ?
(I can't bang a nail in a wall straight !)
Yeah just tell them that the Sky+ digibox has 2 inputs for the 2 tuners required for the Sky+ to function. Just stick 2 fingers up at them and hope they get the message.
I myself have the Pace Sky+ digibox but am running only 1 cable from a Single input LNB therefore cannot use the hard-drive recorder built into the digibox.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 1:53 pm
Pull my finger

For your information:

E4, E4+1, More 4 and More 4+1 have been added to the free to air channels so whereas previously they were part of the basic subscription pack now you can view without the need for any viewing card.

Channel 4 will soon follow (if not already available) so that like the BBC and ITV channels, it will be free to air, so no viewing card required and no need for Sky digibox (any decoder should be sufficient within reason).

ciao!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 4:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

For your information:

E4, E4+1, More 4 and More 4+1 have been added to the free to air channels so whereas previously they were part of the basic subscription pack now you can view without the need for any viewing card.

Channel 4 will soon follow (if not already available) so that like the BBC and ITV channels, it will be free to air, so no viewing card required and no need for Sky digibox (any decoder should be sufficient within reason).

ciao!
Don`t know about Italy but a lot of them and even BBC1 and ITV fade out in Spain at the moment.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:14 am
Pull my finger

I haven't noticed any signal loss since I upsized my dish apart from in heavy rain.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

yellowdog is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't noticed any signal loss since I upsized my dish apart from in heavy rain.
Me neither. I have a freesat hd box now so I've been enjoying the footie and wimbledon in hd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.