British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Getting my pets to Sicily (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/getting-my-pets-sicily-905948/)

Pailor Nov 17th 2017 10:36 am

Getting my pets to Sicily

Hi,

The move is nowhere near definite as yet, but I'm wondering whether anyone has moved dogs and cats over and can give me any advice?

Thanks
P :)

Margaret M Nov 17th 2017 11:41 am

Re: Getting my pets to Sicily

We're on the mainland, in the south - we drove our pets all the way down from north east England.

Pailor Nov 17th 2017 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Margaret M (Post 12384122)
We're on the mainland, in the south - we drove our pets all the way down from north east England.

Hi Margaret,

We're considering that option as the stress of flying really worries me and that's without even considering the costs involved. Did you take turns and/or make many stops on the way?

The only problem is that I've recently been involved in an RTA on the motorway and my driving confidence is not great right now, which means I might struggle to take turns with my Hubby.

:unsure:

Margaret M Nov 17th 2017 12:40 pm

We were transporting furniture, plus 2 dogs and a cat, and I was travelling with our son. We shared the driving, although he did most of it, and we stopped at motorway services when we needed to sleep. It took us 3 days, including breaking down, and having to get a hire car through the breakdown insurance.

The animals were all in quite large cages, and after much arguing we did manage to get an estate hire car, but only 2 of the cages would fit in. Luckily we had a cat basket with us too. We had to leave all of our belongings with the van and go back for it a month or so later.

Not selling it very well am I? It was ok though.

Our son now regularly comes down with his GSD in the back of his estate car.

Pailor Nov 17th 2017 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret M (Post 12384183)

Not selling it very well am I? It was ok though.

Our son now regularly comes down with his GSD in the back of his estate car.

It doesn't sounds as bad as I have been imagining to be fair! :eek:

We have a GSD a Staffy X Whippet and two cats. We're now also hoping to tow my Little C1 behind the van (as I've found out I wont be able to buy a car over there until I have residency and my husband will be driving back to the UK, effectively abandoning me :lol:)

Which area of Southern Italy are you in?

Margaret M Nov 17th 2017 2:19 pm

The drive is pretty easy to be honest. We were in a long wheel base, high top van, so it was even better than by car as we could see over the top of all the traffic. May be a little more difficult in a right hand drive car, although our son manages ok.

Sorry, forgot to say we are in Puglia.

nicktonight Nov 17th 2017 2:28 pm

Lots of people take their dogs and cats with them on the Genova Palermo GNV ferry and walk them around on deck (and no doubt on the other routes) GNV has a "Pets welcome on board" page. You can do Dunkirk Genova just about in one day in a car and catch the evening ferry. Probably the least stressful way in the car

Pailor Nov 17th 2017 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by nicktonight (Post 12384273)
Lots of people take their dogs and cats with them on the Genova Palermo GNV ferry and walk them around on deck (and no doubt on the other routes) GNV has a "Pets welcome on board" page. You can do Dunkirk Genova just about in one day in a car and catch the evening ferry. Probably the least stressful way in the car

Thanks Nick, that sounds like it might be the way to go! I'd never have thought of going via Dunkirk:goodpost:

Margaret M Nov 17th 2017 5:57 pm

That sounds good - wasn't a viable ferry for us.

BRIAN 1 Nov 18th 2017 6:21 am

Hi,our neighbours drive back to the midlands every year with their dog.They stay in pet friendly hotels,I think its the Ibis group.This way 1 person can do all the driving,cheers,Brian.

GeorgeYoung Nov 18th 2017 6:40 am

Just out of interest, for those of you who've driven vans over from the UK, have they been rented? If so, have you found any issues taking the rental van out of the UK? What sort of prices were you looking at? Cheers.

Margaret M Nov 18th 2017 8:26 am

We bought ours second hand, and then sold after we had finished moving everything. Cost more I suspect than renting, but was easier for us as we made several trips over quite a few months.

Plan B Dec 15th 2017 1:27 pm

Hi Pailor,
That's quite an expedition you're planning as far as Sicily. When we moved to the Veneto (2 day journey; one overnight stop-over) we took our dog with us but sent the cat by air. The dog was no trouble because she was used to the car and we stopped every 2 or 3 hours - for my bladder as much as hers. Though we had not booked any hotels in advance, we did not encounter any problems with the hotel or restaurants which all accepted the dog without batting an eye.
Our cat is extremely vocal, just a short journey to/from a local cattery is testing, so the thought of having his noise, not to mention the smell of any possible "accidents", for 2 days was a no no. But yes, it did cost an arm and a leg: not much short of €1,000 all told for inoculations, boarding and BA freighting.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

TrustPilot Dec 18th 2017 5:49 pm

I guarantee you that there will be no problems as my brother often travels with animals. However, every 3 or 4 hours you stop and you make them walk for 10/15 minutes. Or you could send them by plane what I would recommend.

Accetturese Jan 9th 2018 10:06 am

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung (Post 12384696)
Just out of interest, for those of you who've driven vans over from the UK, have they been rented? If so, have you found any issues taking the rental van out of the UK? What sort of prices were you looking at? Cheers.

I used east midland van rentals for a 3.5 ton luton van, with taillift, for 10 days, european use and unlimited mileage included. Came to £900 and was very easy.