Reload this Page >

Gatwick-London transport

Gatwick-London transport

Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gatwick-London transport

Hi Duffer

In a couple of weeks I am flying to Gatwick. I read that you fly into Gatwick over Christmas (and got that nice Xmas hamper) and so was looking for information. I need to get into London and so was wondering about the best way of getting there - train into Victoria or Stelios's EasyBus (only £2 each way!).

Have you used either of these to get into London?

Thanks

Linda
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:09 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future
Default Re: Gatwick-London transport

Linda,
One of my colleagues did this last week, I have just spoken to him, he took the bus, absolutely no problem at all, took 50 mins. I suppose the time depends on the traffic though.
Hope this helps
Kenny
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:31 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Linda,

My brother picked me up at Gatwick and my dad dropped me off. I got 2 £9 Harrods hampers full of goodies!

I've never taken the coach from Gatwick but I understand it is twice as long as the train. I have taken the Gatwick express several times and for the convenience it cannot be beaten.

What sort of time are you travelling and will you have a lot of luggage. If travelling during peak periods, i.e. morning rush hour and between 5-7pm, with luggage I would suggest the Gatwick Express. Get on the train from the airport and in about 30 minutes you're in Victoria. No hassles. Check online for any special offers.

If you don't fancy taking the coach then try Southern trains - they had some special offer to Victoria for £3 o/w recently for advance bookings. Can get very crowded at rush hour tho and worser still - it stops thru Croydon. Croydon is just plain nasty and its residents criminals. I've used this service a few times to get to Clapham. I just closed my eyes, put my ipod on and dreamt I was elsewhere...

£2 by coach is dirt cheap.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:59 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

The Gatwick Express is an expensive rip-off in my opinion! It cost us about £50 or something for the 4 of us to get into London one-way and that was with my daughter travelling free!

There are loads of trains from Gatwick that go into either Victoria or London Bridge/Kings Cross. It takes roughly half an hour. Depends where in London you want to end up. My OH will be doing the trip this evening as he is on his way back here. He tends to go via London Bridge as the trains aren't as busy.

Nothing wrong with Croydon! Big, huge, massive IKEA there! My mum is from up the road at Crystal Palace.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:46 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Crystal Palace is full of pimps and crackwhores.
The Ikea is in Purley. I used to go there for the £1 English breakfast! Nice.
I don't remember the Gatwick Express costing that much. I know that the Stanstead Express costs £20 return if you buy the tickets on the Ryanair plane. There are always ways to get tickets cheaper...
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hiya

Thanks for all the info. I'll be travelling straight into London around lunchtime so that shouldbe OK traffic-wise but back the next day during pm rush-hour - so I'll make sure I leave enough time for that journey.

I'm only taking a carry-on bag this time so no trouble there. I think I might try the £2.00 Easybus out of the airport (to Fulham I think) when I've got more time and the Gatwick Express back - about £16.00 one way.

Thanks, Linda
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:45 pm
Pull my finger

How much would a hire car cost you?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

I don't know. I didn't think about a hire car because I just need to get into central london one day, stay overnight and then get back to the airport so it seemed easier to stick with public transport.

I've got really good flights for me time-wise - I get there at noon one day, stay overnight and then see someone first thing next morning. I've got the BA flight leaving that evening at 7.40pm so I've got plenty of time both days to take the bus or the train (as long as they are reliable!!)

Linda
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:59 pm
Pull my finger

If you're travelling solo without a tight schedule I think you're going to be fine. You can even save money by taking the standard train instead of the GEX.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:06 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindaf
I don't know. I didn't think about a hire car because I just need to get into central london one day, stay overnight and then get back to the airport so it seemed easier to stick with public transport.

I've got really good flights for me time-wise - I get there at noon one day, stay overnight and then see someone first thing next morning. I've got the BA flight leaving that evening at 7.40pm so I've got plenty of time both days to take the bus or the train (as long as they are reliable!!)

Linda
Get the train back! My OH gets the Meridiana flight out of Gatwick at 1955, so similar. He allows about an hour from leaving London to when he needs to check in - he always checks in last possible chance. Go off that to work out what train you need. We lived near Gatwick before moving here. We have done the trip in in a car maybe once. Took 4 hours......

Oh and duffer - it maybe reside in Purley but it's called Ikea Croydon....And to you!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

I wondered about the normal train. I've never been to Gatwick before and always thought it sounded quite a way out meaning it would be hard to get into London.

But the prices that Easyjet and BA were offering to/from Gatwick this time were so much better then BMI into Heathrow that I thought I would give a go and use the money I saved on the flight tickets towards getting quickly into London (or possibly save even more money by getting Easybus).

BTW - I also thought about going the whole hog and staying in the EasyHotel at Earls Court but some of the rooms very small and very orange but still good value for money in the middle of London.

Linda
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:09 pm
The Original Red Head!

I thought about booking my OH and son into the Easy hotel, but I knew I would never hear the end of it if it were too Orange! Plus Travel Lodge and Premier Inn still come in a little, tiny bit cheaper most of the time.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:19 pm
Pull my finger

Gatwick is really convenient for me 'cos I'm from Saf Landon. Unless it's really cheap I try to avoid flying in to Stanstead.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Well then - I never think about Stanstead but did check out London City Airport in case they had any amazing offers on.

I was also wondering about catching the train to go home while I was in the UK but the train ticket cost more than the flight ticket - and that can't be right So no home visit this time but still a chance to stock up on as many goodies as I can get in my bag.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:09 pm
The Original Red Head!

My OH has started using Luton too, he can get son to school from there as easily as from Gatwick and it's nearer his office base than Gatwick.