Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Furniture Shipping - yes or no??

Furniture Shipping - yes or no??

Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furniture Shipping - yes or no??

Originally Posted by johnnyj
Like it, your right of course! How are you doing regarding getting health & car insurance sorted out?
Wow> Health- well because we've paid NIC for the last million years my understanding is that we're entitled to it in Italy (being an EU contry, whether they like it or not!). Search HMRC for downloadable forms. I think it depends on your circumstances and previous contributions to NI and age!
However my understanding is that they have a humanitarian attitude and sick people are not turned away! Let's hope. It may cost something but..... you gotta be fixed.
Car insurance is due September so have yet to sort this out.
To be honest Johnny we are doing most of this by the skin of our teeth and hoping it all works out. Money is disappearing like a magic trick because everyone takes a cut. Our hope is that it will all eventually settle and we shall be left, albeit pennilesss, to get on with living happily.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

johnnyj is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought that we needed private health insurance in order to live in Italy, as we would not be paying into the Italian system via earnings? We would get emergency treatment I believe though. I think that I will try and sort ours out when we are there. I have had car insurance quotes, and as thought it is about 3 times the price!! The property we are buying is just a shell at the moment, we will have to finish the works once we have moved over, the quotes are mounting daily, so we also hope things will work out o.k in the end. How did you decide on Abruzzo for your relocation?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:21 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Johnny - check out this link for more information about this health cover possibility.

If you move to an EEA country to live but not work and don't receive a UK benefit, you may be eligible for up to two-and-a-half years of state healthcare, paid for by the UK.

You will need to apply for form S1 (or form E106 if you are moving to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland) with the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle). You also need to prove that you have worked in the UK and paid National Insurance contributions up to three years before your departure.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...ingabroad.aspx
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Lorna, will check it out.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

I checked out the S1 form as suggested, they told me I would only be eligible for 3 months cover - so I won't bother! Has anyone sourced their private health cover from an Italian provider once living there? Any feedback or suggestions welcomed.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

I checked out the S1 form as suggested, they told me I would only be eligible for 3 months cover - so I won't bother! Has anyone sourced their private health cover from an Italian provider once living there? Any feedback or suggestions welcomed.
Only 3 months cover?is this because you haven't been paying NIC for the last 3 years?
And we decided on Abruzzo because it sounded financially feasible and pleasant. We visited and all we had read and heard was correct. Signed the compromesso this week and hopefully will be resident for Christmas.
Good luck with your own adventure
Connie
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:23 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

We never bought a car in Italy but I have heard from others that in order to do so you need a Codice Fiscale. We got ours really easy, took all of 20 mins.
One tip I will give is if you want to do anything quickly, go at lunch time... The supermarkets are empty, & the roads are deserted after 1 o'clock , but, watch out whilst driving just before lunch as the road users become manic. Lack of food has a very strange affect on Italians.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:35 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

It might be worth knowing that Italian insurance companies are notoriously bad at paying out on claims and can make it drag on and on for years.

Originally Posted by Gio
We never bought a car in Italy but I have heard from others that in order to do so you need a Codice Fiscale. We got ours really easy, took all of 20 mins.
One tip I will give is if you want to do anything quickly, go at lunch time... The supermarkets are empty, & the roads are deserted after 1 o'clock , but, watch out whilst driving just before lunch as the road users become manic. Lack of food has a very strange affect on Italians.
Remember that most public offices, banks, post offices etc. are all closed at lunchtime and many places stay closed all afternoon too.

Oh - adn you need residency to buy a car. The codice fiscale is probably the easiest bit of Italian 'officaldom' to get though.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by conniewalker
Only 3 months cover?is this because you haven't been paying NIC for the last 3 years?
And we decided on Abruzzo because it sounded financially feasible and pleasant. We visited and all we had read and heard was correct. Signed the compromesso this week and hopefully will be resident for Christmas.
Good luck with your own adventure
Connie
I haven't paid any NIC for the last 18 months, so that probably had something to do with it, I was very disappointed with this response. Hope all goes well with your residency.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Lorna at Vicenza;8857214]It might be worth knowing that Italian insurance companies are notoriously bad at paying out on claims and can make it drag on and on for years.
Thanks Lorna, couple that with not being able to understand the small print in Italian as well, not a good combination!