Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Furniture Shipping - yes or no??

Furniture Shipping - yes or no??

Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

VEROVITA is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Furniture Shipping - yes or no??

We should be moving to Sicily next year - we have gone on a couple of websites for appliances/furniture and the pricing is approximtely the same as where we are now.

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether we should try and sell off most of our household goods over here and buy new when we get there (considering the price of shipping - and the associated potential heartaches), or if it really would be worth it to ship it all.

Has anyone done it and regretted it?
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice
Default Re: Furniture Shipping - yes or no??

I just shipped some furniture to Rome from Lancashire, it cost about £4K, for me it was worth it because it was mostly antique furniture which we bought some years ago because we liked it and want to keep it. If you are talking about mostly modern furniture you might find that you cannot sell it for much (if at all). Consequently you need to evaluate that what you get for the furniture plus the saved cost of shipping plus the notional value of the pleasure of buying/having new furniture is enough to actually buy the new furniture.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

caroltee is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Furniture Shipping - yes or no??

Originally Posted by VEROVITA
We should be moving to Sicily next year - we have gone on a couple of websites for appliances/furniture and the pricing is approximtely the same as where we are now.

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether we should try and sell off most of our household goods over here and buy new when we get there (considering the price of shipping - and the associated potential heartaches), or if it really would be worth it to ship it all.

Has anyone done it and regretted it?
Moved from cardiff to sardinia in may and used up 3/4 of a 40 foot artic,
cost £2,900, go into a site called shiply or shipley, put your details in
and hauliers bid on the contract, no cost to you for using this site.
Best of luck
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

VEROVITA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caroltee
Moved from cardiff to sardinia in may and used up 3/4 of a 40 foot artic,
cost £2,900, go into a site called shiply or shipley, put your details in
and hauliers bid on the contract, no cost to you for using this site.
Best of luck
Thanks so much!

We are coming from south africa and the cost of relocating the contents of a house seems very high. We will be shipping at least one container (certain furniture and bits n bobs kind of make a house into a home and couldnt be left behind).

What about the delay at the port? Once the container arrives is there a long waiting period to get your container delivered?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VEROVITA
Thanks so much!

We are coming from south africa and the cost of relocating the contents of a house seems very high. We will be shipping at least one container (certain furniture and bits n bobs kind of make a house into a home and couldnt be left behind).

What about the delay at the port? Once the container arrives is there a long waiting period to get your container delivered?
we have a quote of £5034 including insurance for 1100 cubic feet from North Wales to Abruzzo wirh a well known company. Crumbs
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

johnnyj is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried Pickfords, we were impressed and plan to use them for our move.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyj
that's the well known company lol -thought we were not allowed to advertise
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

without being intrusive... where are you moving to in Italy?
Don't reply if you don't wish to I shall not be affronted.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

I don't consider that advertising, as I am not an employee nor do I know anyone from that company. They gave us our best price. We should be moving around the end of September to the Cilento region, exact date not set yet, can't wait though!

Last edited by johnnyj; Sep 1st 2010 at 7:57 am. Reason: misread previous reply!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't consider that advertising, as I am not an employee nor do I know anyone from that company. They gave us our best price. We should be moving around the end of September to the Cilento region, exact date not set yet, can't wait though!
wishing you all the best. we are off to abruzzo in November-understand how you are feeling!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Connie, are you relocating for work or retiring? Might be interesting to swap notes? Reply by private message if you prefer. If not I hope all goes well with your move too.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Connie, are you relocating for work or retiring? Might be interesting to swap notes? Reply by private message if you prefer. If not I hope all goes well with your move too.
I have nothing to hide -I don't think!!
We're relocating to live a different life and no not seeking employment. Guessing it's going to be some kind of adventure-ups and downs etc etc. Yourself?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Were going to relocate now, rather than later. I have taken v.early retirement, my wife will work part time over the internet for her existing employer. I guess were going to try & "live the dream!" Must say though were both scared stiff on the quiet, were not sure how we will cope leaving the family - and money will be an issue I'm sure - cheap & Italy do not mix!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Were going to relocate now, rather than later. I have taken v.early retirement, my wife will work part time over the internet for her existing employer. I guess were going to try & "live the dream!" Must say though were both scared stiff on the quiet, were not sure how we will cope leaving the family - and money will be an issue I'm sure - cheap & Italy do not mix!
Don't be scared. Be courageous To be mundane/cheesy we have one life and if you have a yearning and can carry it out, albeit in theory-go with it. Existing here in the uk may be "safe" but sure as eggs isn't easy on the spirit nor is it uplifting. I will be leaving 3 children and 5 adorable grandchildren-but they have their own lives to live and I (selfishly) will not be putting my last years on hold for them. If they need me it's a 2.5 hour flight back to the UK- or to Abruzzo.
Don't forget most of today's youth get gap years- we didn't so I suppose we're choosing to do it now -but for longer!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Like it, your right of course! How are you doing regarding getting health & car insurance sorted out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.