Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Funeral protocol

Funeral protocol

Old Sep 16th 2021, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Funeral protocol

Sorry to have to ask this but a good friend of mine has just died. The last time that I went to an Italian funeral dress was fairly informal. However my friend was a lawyer and as such quite important in the community; is a suit the order of the day? I just want la figura giusta.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funeral protocol

The evident rule in southern italy is to go to a wedding as though it were a funeral and vice versa. It seems to me that only the funeral directors wear suits - everyone else goes in what they happen to be wearing that day.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

As Modicasa says, generally people go in what they are wearing that day. Given his standing in the community there will likely be other lawyers, Doctors and business owners so smart casual with a blazer for the church service and lose the blazer for the cemetery. Maybe avoid the suit so as not to be confused with family of the funeral directors.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to you both that makes it clear. I was contemplating a suit but will now be smart casual.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
Just a quick update. It went exactly as you described so thanks again. My deceased friend arrived in a Maserati hearse, I mean how cool is that. I have told my wife that when my turn comes that is what I want.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 9:21 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
Hi
Just a quick update. It went exactly as you described so thanks again. My deceased friend arrived in a Maserati hearse, I mean how cool is that. I have told my wife that when my turn comes that is what I want.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Last time I went to a funeral here, some bloke was wearing crocs and jeans. I can just about handle the jeans, but I hate Crocs with a passion. That was just a bit too casual in my opinion for church.