Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Finding a room in Milan crisis!!!

Finding a room in Milan crisis!!!

Old Apr 7th 2019, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

a_grz_vr is a jewel in the rougha_grz_vr is a jewel in the rougha_grz_vr is a jewel in the rougha_grz_vr is a jewel in the rough
Default Finding a room in Milan crisis!!!

Hello,

I posted on here many times last year and this year. I am finally in Italy, and it's been chaos and very complicated since I've arrived! I've been here since the 18th March, and for now I am still in temporary accommodation. I've moved homes three times already. I use websites likes BAKECA, IMMOBILIARE and SUBITO. I'm looking for a room to rent from 300-500 euros per month. I can hardly even find one advert to suit my situation. This is because in almost every advert they clearly say they need to see a work contract. My plan was to find a room, THEN find a job, which is exactly what I did when I moved to Rome when I was about 20, about 10 years ago. That worked. In Milan it's waaaaaay different.

I generally don't look at adverts posted by agencies. I did try with one agency though, and this was their price:
- 500 euros for rent, plus 100 for bills.
- 3 x 500 for deposit.
- Plus agency fee: = 1,000.
So 3,000 euros for a room.
No.

Anyway, from how it's looking you need a job before you can look for a room. This is where I need some advice, if anyone has any.

I'm about to start updating and translating my CV, but I'm wondering if it's even worth it. If I have a CV, and start looking for work, will anyone even hire me?

I imagine I'll need a bank account first, but if I don't have a fixed address would I be able to open one? I am staying with someone for a month, I pay her, but I haven't signed a contract. If I go to the bank, could I just lie and pretend this is my fixed address? I am thinking it's not a great idea, because someone could come and check what's going on, and find out that I'm paying the lady tax free, no contract.
Is it even possible to lie? Maybe they need to see the dichiarazione del domicilio/l'iscrizione anagrafica from the comune (which I don't have). In other words, it might not even be possible to lie when I write on the form from the bank that I'm living in this particular place, because it might not be enough to just write your address, you might actually need the paper from the comune.

Another solution I thought of was to forget trying to open a bank account, and just tell my employers that I don't have an account for now, nor a fixed address, and ask them to pay me in cash. This isn't England, so I'm even thinking something like this could work. Or I could ask them to pay into the bank of a trusted Italian friend of mine who lives in a different city.

Has anyone got any advice for this highly complex situation? I've been on this forum a while now and some of you seem very skilled at living in this complicated country

Thank you for your time
(by the way, as for the medication, even though I did all the research about transporting medicine, no one stopped me, no one realised I had anything with me).
Old Apr 14th 2019, 9:31 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a room in Milan crisis!!!

Hi. I don't have any solid advice unfortunately. I was just wondering what Uni students do and what websites they use when looking for rooms? Could you ask anybody or see if there is a noticeboard at the Uni advertising rooms to rent?