Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Exporting a car from Italy to UK

Exporting a car from Italy to UK

Old May 9th 2022, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exporting a car from Italy to UK

I'm sure this has been covered many times already but does anyone have post-Brexit experience of exporting an Italian registered car to the UK? The UK side of things seems straight forward, I'm more concerned about what needs to be done on the Italian side beforehand and how I inform them I'm exporting it.
Old May 10th 2022, 6:47 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exporting a car from Italy to UK

Originally Posted by SanNico
I'm sure this has been covered many times already but does anyone have post-Brexit experience of exporting an Italian registered car to the UK? The UK side of things seems straight forward, I'm more concerned about what needs to be done on the Italian side beforehand and how I inform them I'm exporting it.
From what I remember, you need to take the plates and log book to the Italian DVLA and apply for temporary plates to travel on. You'll also need temporary insurance. If you are already abroad; you need a copy of new log book -translated- plates and old log book. We demolished the car (in the UK) in the end, but the process is similar. We went through an agency who also dealt with the translation. Can't remember the cost -tax plus agency-.
Old May 10th 2022, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. This was before the changes I guess? I think the changes were just procedural, nothing to do with Brexit. I have checked what I think is the official blurb but my confusion is around the part that I may be able to drive it across on the Italian plates and get the official part done afterwards, saving the hassle of temporary plates and informing the insurer about the temporary plate.

ACI Services - Export
Old May 10th 2022, 4:36 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
Thanks. This was before the changes I guess? I think the changes were just procedural, nothing to do with Brexit. I have checked what I think is the official blurb but my confusion is around the part that I may be able to drive it across on the Italian plates and get the official part done afterwards, saving the hassle of temporary plates and informing the insurer about the temporary plate.

ACI Services - Export
We did this in January. It has changed post Brexit because the standard form is no longer applicable for the UK. You can drive to the UK, but you have to bring the plates back to Italy.