Reload this Page >

Experiences about costs and taxes when retiring in Italy

Experiences about costs and taxes when retiring in Italy

Old May 12th 2021, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Shades of Blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experiences about costs and taxes when retiring in Italy

Dear Expats
could you share your thoughts on the financial and tax aspects of retiring in Italy. Before i jump.
My pension will not be massive and I am starting to fear that overall cost of living is actually higher than in the UK once the higher taxes are counted.
what's your experience?
Old May 12th 2021, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experiences about costs and taxes when retiring in Italy

Obviously it depends where you go and what lifestyle you are accustomed to. And it depends on how big your pension is. Give us a hypothetical and people will jump in to help.
Old May 12th 2021, 10:07 am
Just Joined

The idea is £ 2000 net a month spending
living in a coastal small tourist town on the Adriatic
owned flat no mortgage
with a uk pension pot of 300k and another 200k savings. They need to last 30+ years
uk income tax worked out 1500 a year
Italian income tax alone comes to 4500 a year
Big difference.
Old May 12th 2021, 10:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shades of Blue
could you share your thoughts on the financial and tax aspects of retiring in Italy. Before i jump.
For starters, you're asking an easy question, aren't you?
My pension will not be massive and I am starting to fear that overall cost of living is actually higher than in the UK once the higher taxes are counted.
what's your experience?
Sorry being blunt, but do a bit of homework, Most prospective expats think Italy is 3rd world cheap country where their meagre pension will grant luxurious lifestyle, but it's not so. Parts of Italy can be quite expensive. If you're used to cheap and nasty UK supermarket food, you'll find that food is overall more expensive in Italy; at least it was for me a few years ago, although now you have more rock-bottom so called "hard discount" stores targeted at low income immigrant population than when I lived there. Then bear in mind that there is a tax for just about everything and if you want to be on the safe side of the law, you'd better pay it.

living in a coastal small tourist town on the Adriatic
Not cheap

owned flat no mortgage
Ok.

with a uk pension pot of 300k and another 200k savings.
Is this before or after buying the flat?
Old May 12th 2021, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

The tax difference alone would put us off, but we did find the quality of life there much better than here in the UK. For us it was also cheaper living there, but that depends on your lifestyle, we spent most time in the garden. Coming back to the UK after spending almost 10 years in Italy oddly enough was a revelation in as much as we discovered there was a great deal we liked here. However we do miss Italy and will look at the possibility of a long term rental without being there permanently (if such can be had). The cost of doing so has to be balanced against the cost to visit and/or taxation. I’m sure with you being Italian there will be many more considerations than we would have, best of luck whatever you decide.
Old May 12th 2021, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
Originally Posted by malcom1970
Is this before or after buying the flat?
After

Old May 12th 2021, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
...best of luck whatever you decide.
Thank you.
there is much i like of the uk too even before considering my uk born children.
Italy is to enjoy the last years of my parents and the sun 🌞.
maybe keeping my uk flat and dipping in and out would work better. Shame about the italian sea front flat though. That wouldn't fit in
Old May 12th 2021, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly have you found out whether or not you will get a visa-you now need one to move to any country in the Eu
https://visa.vfsglobal.com/gbr/en/ita/apply-visa
Will you meet the income requirement Will you be able to afford the private health insurance in order to get the visa and until you can join the state health system? Have you researched if you can join and whether or not you will be making payments? What about the Anglo Italian tax agreement? Have you checked that you can keep your UK bank account open and if not will your pension provider pay into an EU bank account which if so will cost you There are so many "hidden" costs of moving to another country but the biggest one of all is the exchange rate If the pound goes belly up your just about managing pension becomes a problem
These are all things you need to consider
Old May 12th 2021, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

I see from another thread that you are a returning Italian so no need for the visa etc but obviously the health questions and exchange rate matters will still apply
Old May 12th 2021, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Thank you LVC
will check about the bank account, would hope will find one if I lose the Barclays one, or is that not easy?
for the currency issue, I would move some of the portfolio out of UK and US stocks/bonds into more European stocks/bonds. or even into euro denominated funds. in general diversification of the portfolio protects you a bit from currency fluctuation anyway. I guess need to live with it as I won't cut all ties with my "father" country
which uk banks give you an account if you live abroad?
Old May 12th 2021, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

which uk banks give you an account if you live abroad?
HSBC do.
Old May 12th 2021, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you

After
Then you have a solid ground to build on.
Old May 12th 2021, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

... which uk banks give you an account if you live abroad?
Originally Posted by Margaret M
HSBC do.
Having been through this loop only a few months ago, I can confirm that HSBC do, and are really the only bank that I could find (apart from Barclays, who gave a very vague "maybe, but we're too busy, Covid and all that, to make a decision at the moment") that did so. And so far I'm very happy with them.
Old May 13th 2021, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serrano
Having been through this loop only a few months ago, I can confirm that HSBC do, and are really the only bank that I could find (apart from Barclays, who gave a very vague "maybe, but we're too busy, Covid and all that, to make a decision at the moment") that did so. And so far I'm very happy with them.
We have always been with HSBC, but a friend transferred to them after Barclays closed his account, so you probably would get a "NO" from Barclays these days.
Old May 13th 2021, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

The other option is something like a borderless account with Wise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.