Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Experience of palazzo apartment living?

Wikiposts

Experience of palazzo apartment living?

Old Dec 21st 2015, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Experience of palazzo apartment living?

Does anyone have experience of living in an apartment within a palazzo? At first thought, such a residence seems appealing, but I wonder if there are any drawbacks?

Firstly, maintenance costs. With a few exceptions, none of the estate agents’ listings mention maintenance charges. Is it normal to pay a monthly amount to cover such costs? My concern is that given the nature of the building, any major maintenance works would be extremely expensive.

Secondly, day-to-day living. I appreciate it would depend on the individual palazzo, but in general:
  • Noise transfer. I am currently living in a modern apartment, where “everyday” noise from neighbours is a problem. Given the thick walls and substantial ceilings etc. I am hoping this type of noise from neighbouring apartments should not be an issue. Is this generally the case?

• Neighbourliness. By this I mean what is it like to share a palazzo with Italian neighbours? Are they generally considerate? What I am concerned about is push-chairs, bicycles, toys etc. being left in communal areas, smoking in communal areas, shouting up and down the staircase, coming in late and slamming doors, etc.
All things considered, I am wondering if buying an apartment in a palazzo, despite its appeal, may be a risk and that I would later be regretful. Perhaps I should instead aim for a detached house some distance from neighbours?

Any experience would be most welcome.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of palazzo apartment living?

Maintenance costs can be high, very high in some cases. And Noise is a problem- if its a conversion, as anywhere, and not done very well it will be noisier than a modern apartment which is built to certain noise standards. You will have a condominium if there are more than 2 apartments and you will have voting rights according to your millesimi - and that is where the fun starts. Condomini are responsible for more murders and vendettas than any other association! Long long evenings will be spent arguing the toss as to whether the rubbish left by the bin and not in the bin constitutes a serious threat to communal living and how the cousin of one ofthe other owners contracted a rare life threatening disease dueto the instransigence and carelessness of the other owners, and you could be liable for millions in damages if your cat purrs loudly on a Thursday. Italian neighbours are lovely, but they wll do exactly what they want and what is best for them. They will come in late, slam dooes, shout, smoke, and be what the Brits regard as antisocial and unthinking, but what is the norm for Italians.
If you have already thought about the problems, then dont dont buy in a condo, of any sort. IN an old palazzo the problems are amplified compared to a modern block.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
All things considered, I am wondering if buying an apartment in a palazzo, despite its appeal, may be a risk and that I would later be regretful. Perhaps I should instead aim for a detached house some distance from neighbours?

Any experience would be most welcome.
Best just to rent for 6 months and see if you like it. There are endless numbers of properties available at the moment.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with modicasa. The questions you raise automatically disqualify you as being a suitable owner or occupier of any sort of Italian condominium living.
I live on the top floor of a small condominium (magnificent views) totalling 8 flats in a modern post earthquake building. 10 years after moving in, we had to fork out 7 million lire per flat for external re plastering/painting/waterproofing.
We pay 30 eurines per month stair cleaning/courtyard cleaning/stair lighting, plus 20 eurines per month car space. This money has not been collected now for 10 months as the condominium i.e. all of us, cannot agree on a new administrator. For 2 years we have not spoken to our nearest neighbour, a cousin of my wife, because he complained about her watering her plants and having the TV on too loud. His daughter tried to kick our front door down, and he threatened to call carabinieri, sue us etc. etc. In the meantime we hear him screaming at his wife, and are smoked out by his oilfired central heating. The rest of the neighbours are quite civilized and quiet, but barely exchange the time of day with us. Quite a nice spot really.
bye bye dicette l'inglese
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Ononno - sad but par for the course. I lived in a condo in Naples, great building, lovely people. Didnt sleep for a year. Now I live in a house in the country with no neighbours.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Even the Pope has trouble living in his 1 bedroom suite when the neighbour is Cardinal Bertone renovating his penthouse flat.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Even the Pope has trouble living in his 1 bedroom suite when the neighbour is Cardinal Bertone renovating his penthouse flat.
I do not live in a flat( but pay through the nose for this privilege), however, 2 of my friends do.
When I visit one of them who lives in a nice sunny apartment in a new building with a comunal garden, all fenced off, the first thing I hear is the bloody dogs barking from each balcony. My friend has an annoying pincher jumping like a yo-yo at people and barking, the one above her has some big furry ball that barks really loud, while the neighbour underneath has a spaniel that joins the chorus from the balcony bellow.

There is no chance in hell I would live where she lives. Do not even start me on the dog's poo on the pavements around....

The Italians are loud and smoke a lot. As Modicasa said, there are constant arguments between the residents regarding comunal stuff.

An old palazzo will have old water pipes( with rust coming out sometimes), and will not be built anti seismic. Look for a detached house....

Last edited by Isakat; Dec 23rd 2015 at 1:39 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all the answers. I really appreciate hearing about the potential problems that I would be letting myself in for. To be honest, the experiences that you have all written about are not that surprising, knowing what I do about Italians. These apartments all look very nice in the estate agents listings, but I am the sort of person who would quickly become annoyed by inconsiderate neighbours. Then of course the high maintenance costs and the arguments are not something I would be happy with. I think I would be avoiding a lot of stress if I were to find a house in the country.

I'll get back to the estate agents websites and make sure the filter is set to exclude apartments .
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Many thanks for all the answers. I really appreciate hearing about the potential problems that I would be letting myself in for. To be honest, the experiences that you have all written about are not that surprising, knowing what I do about Italians. These apartments all look very nice in the estate agents listings, but I am the sort of person who would quickly become annoyed by inconsiderate neighbours. Then of course the high maintenance costs and the arguments are not something I would be happy with. I think I would be avoiding a lot of stress if I were to find a house in the country.

I'll get back to the estate agents websites and make sure the filter is set to exclude apartments .
Good decision. But do remember that in the country there will still be problems, just different ones!
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Isakat
...the first thing I hear is the bloody dogs barking from each balcony. My friend has an annoying pincher jumping like a yo-yo at people and barking, the one above her has some big furry ball that barks really loud, while the neighbour underneath has a spaniel that joins the chorus from the balcony bellow.
We have a chorus of hounds in our block too. I used to stop our dog joining in but now I let him get on with it.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 5:43 am
Banned

etnaboom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by philat98
We have a chorus of hounds in our block too. I used to stop our dog joining in but now I let him get on with it.
Cant beat em join em
Old Dec 31st 2015, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Civilised people live in apartments but for some reason the Anglos all dream of a detached house in the country !
Old Jan 1st 2016, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Civilised people live in apartments but for some reason the Anglos all dream of a detached house in the country !