British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Expensive internet (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/expensive-internet-913940/)

Seldomseenkid Jun 14th 2018 3:04 pm

Expensive internet

HI everyone

We need the internet for work etc. and I like the freedom of unlimited use but TIM are charging me 43 euros a month using my fixed line. Any ideas for something less expensive? I don't want to try wifi as signal in our area is rubbish and satellite is not a good idea as we are high up and the aerial will be at risk.

Thanks in advance

37100 Jun 14th 2018 4:00 pm

Re: Expensive internet

Can you get Tim fibre? They have some deals.

37100 Jun 14th 2018 4:00 pm

Can you get Tim fibre? They have some deals.

Pica Jun 14th 2018 5:09 pm

micso if you have line of sight to a receiver? Still costsabout the same but unlimited use.

Serrano Jun 14th 2018 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid (Post 12515986)
HI everyone

We need the internet for work etc. and I like the freedom of unlimited use but TIM are charging me 43 euros a month using my fixed line. Any ideas for something less expensive? I don't want to try wifi as signal in our area is rubbish and satellite is not a good idea as we are high up and the aerial will be at risk.

Thanks in advance

A ridiculous price. We pay €35 per month for fixed line, ADSL (only 10Mb here, but that's due to the rural area, nobody offers faster), free calls to all Italy (fixed and mobile), free calls to most of Europe (fixed lines only), two mobiles (contract with, as I recall 400 mins per month, 400 texts, lots of data). Supplier???

Obviously, Telecom Italia.

Phone them and tell them you're off unless they come up with a vastly better price (and mean it, there are lots of providers out there). And don't accept their first offer, either :thumbup:

philat98 Jun 14th 2018 8:02 pm

Tiscali looks quite attractive. You don't need a fixed line.

philat98 Jun 15th 2018 7:27 am

You could just check to see what your neighbours are all using. I did the same thing last night and saw that nearly everybody is using Tiscali. There is a transmitter nearby. Only two with TIM and one with Vodaphone.

Plan B Jun 20th 2018 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Pica (Post 12516061)
micso if you have line of sight to a receiver? Still costsabout the same but unlimited use.

Also Eolo, if they offer coverage in your area. I know it means having a small sat dish to pick up the signal via line-of-site from a nearby transmitter, but it works for us. Between 25 and 30 Mbps which is amply fast enough for streaming such as Netflix. It's €35pm with unlimited download. Only goes down in really heavy storms.