Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Expats in the Salerno area

Expats in the Salerno area

Old Jan 11th 2013, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Scozzese is on a distinguished road
Smile Expats in the Salerno area

Just wondering if there are any Expats out there in or around sunny Salerno??? I'd love to chat!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

johnnyj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expats in the Salerno area

Ciao, I live in the Cilento National Park, about an hour south of Salerno, with my wife and mad labrador pup!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Cilento is beautiful

I have a mad pup too, a mutt named May. Where are you from originally? Do let me know if you and your wife are ever in the city
Old Jun 21st 2013, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Giada86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey!!

I am a British, single 26 year old female living in London but with Italian roots.

I visit the South of Italy (Salerno) every year as I have family and an apartment over there. It has always been my dream to live in the South of Italy since I was young but was never the right time until now...

I speak fluent Italian and would really love to take the plunge and move over there!! I am hesitant as I know that jobs are hard to come by (especially in the South) but I am taking a TEFL course in October and would like to use that to teach English over there, maybe start out doing private tutoring.

I would love to speak to other British & Americans who have moved to that region and advise me if it can really be done and if there are any private English/Language schools in Salerno or surrounding areas!!
Old Jun 21st 2013, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Giada86
Hey!!

I am a British, single 26 year old female living in London but with Italian roots.

I visit the South of Italy (Salerno) every year as I have family and an apartment over there. It has always been my dream to live in the South of Italy since I was young but was never the right time until now...

I speak fluent Italian and would really love to take the plunge and move over there!! I am hesitant as I know that jobs are hard to come by (especially in the South) but I am taking a TEFL course in October and would like to use that to teach English over there, maybe start out doing private tutoring.

I would love to speak to other British & Americans who have moved to that region and advise me if it can really be done and if there are any private English/Language schools in Salerno or surrounding areas!!
Jobs aren't so hard to come by if you want to teach English to be honest - there are plenty of schools around! Here in Salerno there are dozens. Pm me if you want and I can give you some pointers - I used to teach English in Salerno before I got a more permanent job.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scozzese
Jobs aren't so hard to come by if you want to teach English to be honest - there are plenty of schools around! Here in Salerno there are dozens. Pm me if you want and I can give you some pointers - I used to teach English in Salerno before I got a more permanent job.
Thank you for your reply. Great to know. I could really do with some pointers. It won't let me private message you for some reason so if you could kindly give me some pointers on here or alternivately if you could try pm me to see if it works. Grazie mille

Last edited by Giada86; Jun 22nd 2013 at 11:13 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

covboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah,
jobs are not difficult to find and even easier with the right connections,
a lots of jobs in the south are found via connections,more "who you know" than "what you know",
Well thats been my experience anyway

Mick
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by covboy
Yeah,
jobs are not difficult to find and even easier with the right connections,
a lots of jobs in the south are found via connections,more "who you know" than "what you know",
Well thats been my experience anyway

Mick
Thanks for you reply Mick. Do you know when the best time to apply is and can I just send a CV and cover letter or is it better to go there personally? Also is a TEFL enough or do I need a degree as well?
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

The best way is to apply to main English Language schools such as "In lingua school " and "British school" both in Salerno ,
Best time to apply would be last week of August first week of september,

If you have a Academic qualification you could apply for Government job being Bi-lingual to "Centro De i Servizi Amministrativi" of Salerno asking info about language schools.

There are jobs here for English teachers ,the problem is a lot of the lesser schools exploite young people like yourself paying a poor hourly rate,
I would strongly suggest you take a relative with you when going for a interview this will help showing you have local contacts and family,

As you are Bi-lingual it might be a good idea applying to local hotels as you are on the Amalfi coast as there are many ,the reason i advise this is because i honestly dout you could earn a living wage teaching English.

Another idea would be to put a add up at the "University of Fisciano" which is about 12 Km's from Salerno,the reason i suggest this is most of the students at this Uni are from Salerno and Academic students will pay a little more per hour ,I would suggest targeting for example "School of Humanities" faculty of foreign languages and literature where all students graduate in English so obviously they would be interested in English language
Another idea would be to research companies that deal with the uk business wise although this is better done while on the ground here.

Bottom line being in reality you are not going to make a living teaching English privately and i would suggest looking at the hotel option .

hope that helps a little,
good luck

Mick
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

oh forgot to add TEFL is ok but obviously as with all jobs the better qualified you are the better,but being Bi-lingual will deffinately help
If you need anymore in depth info just ask,i will consullt the wife , she is a"proffy " at Naples Uni ,i call her my walking Google

Cheers Mick
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your reply!! You have given me very useful info and will def be taking it on board. I will be in touch if I need anymore advice.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hey,

Pretty much everything covboy said, plus that there are two other important language schools in Salerno: The Oxford Centre (Managers: Anna and Paola) and the Cambridge School (Manager: Peter).
As he said, you wont make a permanent living teaching because you'll be essentially unemployed in the summer but it is a good start. Also, although I started with teaching, I've had a good few other jobs since then and now work full time for a multinational and with a premanent contract (ie gold dust in Southern Italy) and every single job I have had, including this one, has been obtained on the basis of being billingual - it is SO important!
So yeah, you can always start with teaching as the easiest thing to find and move on, or look for something more substantial straight away.
Either way, if you come live in Salerno let me know and we can go out for a glass of wine and I'll introduce you to some of the locals
Old Jun 24th 2013, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the extra advice and pointers!! What kind of multinational company do you work for, is it based in Salerno? Sounds great!

Also, last thing, should I apply (send my CV & cover letter) via phone/email or go there in person? I won't be moving until next June and would love to start work in September when the schools are open. Ideally, I would have preferred to have a job already set up. I'm assuming I should write my cover letter and CV in English if applying to English schools?!

When I am in Salerno next, I will be in touch
Old Jan 30th 2014, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

I've just started working at an Private English school in Salerno. I have been here 2 weeks and am enjoying it however they have now asked me to work in other state schools as well on top of the lessons I am doing at their school. I don't feel comfortable yet to work elsewhere and would prefer to stay settled in one school. Do you think it looks bad or will risk my position in the school if I don't accept the outside jobs?
Old Jan 31st 2014, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giada86
I've just started working at an Private English school in Salerno. I have been here 2 weeks and am enjoying it however they have now asked me to work in other state schools as well on top of the lessons I am doing at their school. I don't feel comfortable yet to work elsewhere and would prefer to stay settled in one school. Do you think it looks bad or will risk my position in the school if I don't accept the outside jobs?
If they are going to pay you more, in the current climate I would say don't refuse any job offer that comes up increasing your income. If you've only been around a couple of weeks I can well understand that you won't yet have a full feeling and appreciation of just how bad things really are. Extra work is a godsend, as you'll find out soon enough. Apart from which a refusal may well be badly interpreted.
by by dicette l'inglese.
'o nonno

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.