Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Exchanging UK License Problem

Exchanging UK License Problem

Old May 23rd 2019, 10:46 am
Just Joined

athoni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exchanging UK License Problem

I have been resident in Italy for 20 years,but apart from the occasional van rental for moving house I have not had the need of a car and have just held on to my UK license. I now have a dog, and for holidays and any emergencies,I believe it is best I have the use of a car,so I made enquiries with my local ACI about exchanging my UK license for an Italian one. I was told by ACI that I was no longer able to do this as once you have been resident for more than 4 years you have to sit an Italian driving test. They said they would make some further enquiries for me,but I have been back to their office several times and they tell me they have not been able to contact the appropriate person for a definitive answer. If anybody has any information on this,it would be much appreciated.
Old May 23rd 2019, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchanging UK License Problem

I think you only have to exchange the licence within 2 years residency if it has no expiry date. For non EU citizens it is after 1 year of residence
Conversione patente estera | mit
Old May 23rd 2019, 3:10 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Having read something elsewhere about this, I did a quick search and came up with this:
https://www.scuolaguida.it/it/Conver...atenti-Estere/

So if your DL doesn't have an expiry date, it appears to be true, unfortunately.
Old May 24th 2019, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for your replies. My DL actually expired last month,but I it seems that an Itlaian driving test is the only way forward!
Old May 28th 2019, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

can you not get your licence re-issued in the UK (assuming you have an adress there) first then exchange it for an italian one?
Old May 29th 2019, 8:44 am
Just Joined

I'm afraid not. Even if I did renew UK license,I cannot exchange it for Italian DL as I have been resident here for more than 4 years.
Old May 29th 2019, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by athoni
I'm afraid not. Even if I did renew UK license,I cannot exchange it for Italian DL as I have been resident here for more than 4 years.
I am not sure that you are right. The example they give in my link shows a licence expiring in 2029 must be converted before 2028. That implies 10 years residency!
Old May 29th 2019, 5:23 pm
MDW
Just Joined

MDW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by philat98
I am not sure that you are right. The example they give in my link shows a licence expiring in 2029 must be converted before 2028. That implies 10 years residency!
Our experience is the same.My wife and I have just exchanged our UK licences for Italian ones this year - we both have been legally resident for ten years and had no problems at all.
Old May 29th 2019, 5:33 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that the licence is 20 years old and should have been renewed, in accordance to Italian law at least 10 years ago. ( The maximum duration of an Italian licence is ten years)
Old May 29th 2019, 5:35 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by MDW
Our experience is the same.My wife and I have just exchanged our UK licences for Italian ones this year - we both have been legally resident for ten years and had no problems at all.
That is right. You have a max of ten years, depending on age/health. It must then be renewed and converted. OP's licence is 20 years old and expired.
Old May 29th 2019, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
The problem is that the licence is 20 years old and should have been renewed, in accordance to Italian law at least 10 years ago. ( The maximum duration of an Italian licence is ten years)
But as Chris120 says he could renew the licence in the UK and then exchange it. The 10 years limit relates to the licence not the residency.
Old May 29th 2019, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Midsomer_Peter is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously your lack of a current UK licence is a major flaw in your plan to convert it.
Renewing your UK licence doesn't stand much chance of working since it will have a extremely recent renewal date (4a on the photo licence) more recent than your attestazione di soggiorno permanente per cittadini dell'UE and they will question how you got it if you have been fully resident in Italy since the date on your attestazione di soggiorno permanente per cittadini dell'UE.

Last edited by Midsomer_Peter; May 29th 2019 at 9:18 pm.
Old May 29th 2019, 9:12 pm
Concierge

But as Chris120 says he could renew the licence in the UK and then exchange it. The 10 years limit relates to the licence not the residency.
No, that isn't a legal option. If you are resident in Italy, you must renew here. The longest you can hold on to a UK licence is 10 years from the date of residency.
Old May 29th 2019, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Midsomer_Peter is an unknown quantity at this point

You should not renew your licence in UK if you are resident in Italy.
I think it would be wrong for you to renew your licence in the UK.

I rather think you should renew your licence in Italy.
I think your UK (EU) licence is valid in Italy until it expires. When it expires you have to exchange it for an Italian one

You should go to a different local ACI office with all your stuff prepared including 2 passport specification photos with no glasses, no smile and white background, and march in confidently and say that your UK driving licence has expired, so you would like to renew it for an Italian one, since you are now fully resident since the date of your attestazione di soggiorno permanente per cittadini dell'UE.

And for goodness sake don't tell them how long you've been resident
Take the original of your attestazione di soggiorno permanente per cittadini dell'UE, and point out the date on it while your are explaining since when you've been fully resident.
You will need to show your identity card, and you will need to blag that its date of issue is when you first started coming to Italy but explain that you are now permanently resident in Italy since the date of your attestazione di soggiorno permanente per cittadini dell'UE.

You need to walk into that office and tell them what they need to do (exchange your licence for an Italian one), explain it to them, don't let them have any doubt that it is correct procedure.
Study the requirements below, and have everything prepared, so you don't have to ask them what to do, so that they will believe you know you are right

If they ask you how long you've been resident, just repeat you've just got your permanent residency certificate, and you want to exchange you UK licence now because it has expired, and then lay it on thick saying you want to get it done before 31st October while UK licences are still European licences...

Also take a copy of your attestazione di soggiorno permanente per cittadini dell'UE so they can take it with your UK licence to the ufficio di motorizzazione

You can download form TT 2112 here

https://www.ilportaledellautomobilista.it/Moduli/app

Here are the other things you need, from https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/italy/transport/driving-licences/eu-licence-exchange

Exchanging an EU/EEA licence for an Italian licence

To convert a foreign licence the holder should go to the nearest Provincial Office of Motor Vehicles (Ufficio Provinciale della Motorizzazione Civile) and be prepared to provide the following:
  1. Application form TT 2112 (obtained at the Office of Motor Vehicles)
  2. The licence and at least one clear photocopy of front and back
  3. Valid ID and at least one photocopy of the front and back
  4. Residence permit and at least one photocopy of the front and back
  5. Two recent passport photographs (white background, head uncovered)
  6. Medical certificate issued within the previous three months certifying that the driver is physically and mentally fit
  7. Receipt of payment of the fee (for the current fee amount, inquire at the Office of Motor Vehicles)
The original licence will be retained or stamped as exchanged. Expect the process to take up to four months, after which an Italian licence will be issued.

Last edited by Midsomer_Peter; May 29th 2019 at 10:21 pm.
Old May 29th 2019, 10:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It is illegal to renew your UK DL if you are not a UK resident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.