Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Europe / Italy / Sicily?

Europe / Italy / Sicily?

Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:03 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Europe / Italy / Sicily?

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
It was awesome - Now Get out m fn kitchen and come back with a proper Sicilian subforum!
What for? So you can answer your own posts?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:33 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Pah!

I really do believe a section would be a positive addition to this site!

For example, Etna's eruptions are more interesting to people in Catania and Messina than they are to those in Milan -

Etna is a big reason I love this island so much and I imagine I not alone - I would not bump my own posts if there were a section where you could post it and leave it - in the Italy section the topics would quickly disappear!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:01 am
Hil
Forum Regular

Hil is an unknown quantity at this point

Ciao from Cianciana, hi Paquita, and grazie 6 months for the link. I totally agree with a Sicily subsection, thread, forum, or what you want to call it. ~Hil
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:22 am
Hil
Forum Regular

Oops now we're here we may not shut up. Someone was mentioning hunting up curry (I assume you meant ingredients), it's not in Sicily, but we have ordered from both these sites, and if you keep your eyes open for promos like spedizione gratuita it's certainly worth it. Not to mention, you can make some pretty fabulous indian pickles with sicilian lemons, sanguinella or pomegranate...yee hah ~Hil

http://www.shopthai.eu/public/index....gve00rfk25jt55

http://www.asiaminimart.it/shop/inde...index&cPath=12

note of warning, do make sure you pay for/order extra packing for anything in glass. I think at least one of these places uses the infamous TNT for shipping, who must throw things to the back of the truck with even more force than UPS, perhaps they should all get together for a competition
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:33 am
Just Joined

kabela is an unknown quantity at this point

Good morning all. Hil i believe the last (and first! ) we met was at the BBQ that was organized in August by the council. I thought that it was a great idea that the coucnil organized this BBQ to get the expats to meet, and we found this a really welcoming gesture.

Weather permitting we hope to see you in November, and again in December ...

Any lovely experiences in Sicily that anyone wants to share would probably be welcomed by most. I have a few:

1) dinner in Montallegro (some lovely fine dining by an ex Michelin star chef)....wow!
2) wine tasting in Sambuca di Sicilia - now why is winetasting always featuring towards the top of the list
3) Erice - medieval city.....a must
4) temples at Segesta
5) i could go on forever

good day all
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:11 am
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Hil,

Although this is just a thread, surely a subforum is on its way?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:26 am
Just Joined

kabela is an unknown quantity at this point

although i use pc quite extensively for work, i consider myself as a dinosaur on web terminology .....and find new (to me) words amusing.

Thread: Fine cord of a fibrous material, such as cotton or flax, made of two or more filaments twisted together and used in needlework and the weaving of cloth

How this changed to:

a discussion over the web with friends bewilders me.

Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:34 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Hil,

Although this is just a thread, surely a subforum is on its way?
School has almost 1,400 posts and isn't a sub-forum. So no, a thread with 37 posts - 15 yours - is a long way from being promoted.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:53 am
Hil
Forum Regular

Okay, I'll bite. What is a sub-forum? How does it differ, and how many posts and members do we need to create such a creature??
As this is a fibrous wound material about Sicily I'll just mention that the streets of Cianciana smell of fresh olive oil. I think it's magical, especially that many of the cafe/bars serve warm bread with fresh pressed oil to taste. Beautiful.
Kabela, we did meet at the mayor's stranieri festa. Only in Cianciana. And the food was amazing. Hoepfully it'll be an annual gathering. Hope we see you when you're here. Ciao!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:00 pm
Banned

YES,

But its not just 1 thread is it?
There are threads on property in Sicily
Ferries to Sicily etc

If there was a section called "SICILY" then these would all be much easier to find

As it is, any thread, will quickly slide to page 2 and be gone as a topic like SCHOOL is relevant to all and will constantly jump up the to the top, whearas a topic such as "Best way to Messina to Siracusa" is only going to have a few posts but is still going to be of interest.

The fact that SCHOOL has more posts is not relevant really - as that is GENERIC ITALY and the point is Sicily is independent and those who live here would benefit if their were a subforum where they could find all this info .

k
(IN sICILY!)

If you are not for it, that is fine - but you should recognise the difference between a popular generic thread and a region with that merits many threads with smaller numbers of postings.

SEE MALTA

PS - SCHOOLS thread is 2 years old and OF COURSE people will keep viewing it

ON PAGE 1 of ITALY right now there are 6000 views for Sicily topics!
Do you not think if there were a SICILY sub forum, people living here would look at it, THEN look at ITALY?

I have a thread on PAGE 2 OF ITALY, called "RIDE DOWN ETNA" now that is going to go into oblivion but within a SICILY subform it would not and would most likely be MORE popular, making the site more useful and more used by those that live here.

Anyway - I certainly think it would be very useful -

Last edited by 6monthshere6monthsthere; Nov 1st 2011 at 12:12 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Hil
Okay, I'll bite. What is a sub-forum? How does it differ, and how many posts and members do we need to create such a creature??
As this is a fibrous wound material about Sicily I'll just mention that the streets of Cianciana smell of fresh olive oil. I think it's magical, especially that many of the cafe/bars serve warm bread with fresh pressed oil to taste. Beautiful.
Kabela, we did meet at the mayor's stranieri festa. Only in Cianciana. And the food was amazing. Hoepfully it'll be an annual gathering. Hope we see you when you're here. Ciao!

Er, I think its up to the MODs

OK, you see when you look at the top of the page now it says

FORUM / LIVING AND MOVING ABROAD / EUROPE / ITALY?

Well ITALY is a forum, within it there are topics - on ITALY

So if ITALY had a subforum i.e. it went EUROPE / ITALY / SICILY

Then in the subforum any topics on SICILY (Such as wanting to buy a house in Cianciana) would appear in that forum, making it easy for those who were in Sicily to find topics that were about SICILY without having to scroll all the way through the GENERIC ITALIAN threads

You follow?

ps - I am in Acitrezza and outside right now there are a lot of people surfing - nice day here -
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:17 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Er, I think its up to the MODs

OK, you see when you look at the top of the page now it says

FORUM / LIVING AND MOVING ABROAD / EUROPE / ITALY?

Well ITALY is a forum, within it there are topics - on ITALY

So if ITALY had a subforum i.e. it went EUROPE / ITALY / SICILY

Then in the subforum any topics on SICILY (Such as wanting to buy a house in Cianciana) would appear in that forum, making it easy for those who were in Sicily to find topics that were about SICILY without having to scroll all the way through the GENERIC ITALIAN threads

You follow?

ps - I am in Acitrezza and outside right now there are a lot of people surfing - nice day here -
Hi,

We don't like to create too many sub-forums on BE as it dilutes the conversations, and actually can make it difficult to figure out where to post stuff. We also loose the feeling of "community" if the forums are sectioned off into different areas.

BE is more a general forum, so if you looking for a specific Sicily online community I am sure that there are some out there which you could join (as well as still being a member of BE of course )

In the same way we have not split the Moving Back to the UK forum into sub-forums for Wales/Scotland, or the Canada forum, or the Australia forum, etc, etc we will not be creating sub-forums for different regions of Italy.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:38 pm
Banned

WOW,

I am re writing this from scratch!

I did not type that!

Pointless debate now the muscle has chipped in.

never mind

Last edited by 6monthshere6monthsthere; Nov 1st 2011 at 1:21 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:42 pm
Concierge

6months. Unlike Malta which is a country and has it's own forum, Sicily is part of Italy (though many North and South, wish it wasn't) and not even independent. Autonomo yes, but then so is Val D'Aosta, Trentino Alto Adige, Friuli Venezia Giulia and Sardegna. A lot of threads apply to Sicily as well as the rest of Italy and vice-versa so we would see a lot of duplicate threads.

As for your Etna thread 4 posts, 2 by you........

Personally, I couldn't care how many sub-forums Sue chooses to create, but that is just not the way BE works.

Last edited by 37100; Nov 1st 2011 at 12:48 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:44 pm
Banned

Your post has irritated me enough to reply

1 - I am aware Sicily is not a country, thanks though

2 - Etna - 4 posts 2 by me -

this PROVES my frikkin point - IF there were a Sicily subforum this thread would be available for much longer and people in SICILY might find it, fact is its on page 2 and likely to disappear !!!

Nothing like being patronised to guarantee someone responds

I could do without another reply

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.