British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   English speaking radio station in Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/english-speaking-radio-station-italy-285231/)

logicunity Feb 18th 2005 7:46 pm

English speaking radio station in Italy

Does anyone know of an English speaking radio station based in Italy? Commercial or non-profit.

I am interesting in starting a non for profit English radio station to be broadcast either sat or DAB (digital radio) in Rome, Florence & Venice.

If anyone has information or ideas, please let me know.. Thanks

scoiattolo49 Mar 8th 2005 11:43 am

Re: English speaking radio station in Italy

Originally Posted by logicunity
Does anyone know of an English speaking radio station based in Italy? Commercial or non-profit.

I am interesting in starting a non for profit English radio station to be broadcast either sat or DAB (digital radio) in Rome, Florence & Venice.

Around the Venice area you have the American base radios (Vicenza and Aviano).

Not really commercial or no-profit ;)

laprincipessa Mar 31st 2005 10:31 am

Hello

I'm also trying to find out if there's an english speaking radio station in Italy! But not to start one up but because I'm looking for a job - I'll keep you posted if I find anything out.

scoiattolo49 Mar 31st 2005 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by laprincipessa
Hello

I'm also trying to find out if there's an english speaking radio station in Italy! But not to start one up but because I'm looking for a job - I'll keep you posted if I find anything out.

If you are just looking for a job at a radio station and you have the right skills ;) you can apply even to Italian ones. You should of course beeing able to speak some Italian...
Italians like English speaking DJs, speaking Italian with a foreign accent. It looks cool.
Some radios, especially on the main touristic areas, have some news, traffic and wheater programs in English.

laprincipessa Mar 31st 2005 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by scoiattolo49
If you are just looking for a job at a radio station and you have the right skills ;) you can apply even to Italian ones. You should of course beeing able to speak some Italian...
Italians like English speaking DJs, speaking Italian with a foreign accent. It looks cool.
Some radios, especially on the main touristic areas, have some news, traffic and wheater programs in English.

Thank you so much for replying!

Gosh, I certainly do have the skills - ten years worth of broadcast journalism behind me! My biggest stumbling block is the language - I have basic skills in Italian but it's the same with any language - I think you have to live in the country to really learn it! Which is why an English speaking service might be a way in for me. I've only ever learnt Italian here and not speaking it everyday...well...Ho dimenticato le parole! And if that's grammatically wrong....it's because I still think in English!! x

waltersu Apr 6th 2005 9:54 pm

I am interesting in starting a not-for-profit radio station to be broadcast either sat or DAB (digital radio) in Rome, Florence & Venice.

Well, if anyone is interested, then contant me b/c I am all about finding a radio broadcast that would reach the world. I'm looking for someone who has a variety of experiece in media outlets not my own.

waltersu Apr 6th 2005 10:03 pm

I would love to hear anything you have to say, are you in Roma? I am going to Roma on November 22, please speak w/me!

laprincipessa Apr 7th 2005 7:44 am

Originally Posted by waltersu
Well, if anyone is interested, then contant me b/c I am all about finding a radio broadcast that would reach the world. I'm looking for someone who has a variety of experiece in media outlets not my own.

Hello! thanks for the reply! Well, I do have nine years experience in both radio and tv....and have worked for Sky, ITN and the BBC as well as independent local radio stations. I've met what's called the competency bar for broadcast journalists at the BBC, which means I have covered all roles at Grade 7 standard. I've been a bulletin reader, live radio car reporter, breakfast producer, co-presenter, reporter, news editor...you name it, I've done it! Is this of any help to you? If so, stay in touch and we'll swap email addresses - btw, do you have a hotmail log in - that's a safe and easy way to make contact through the net...and we can have live chat! x

barrabest Oct 2nd 2006 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by waltersu

Hi there, I'm also a broadcast journalist looking to make the move to Italy. I'm currently working in Belfast.

Any information you have would be great.

Manuelamaria Oct 3rd 2006 1:08 pm

Hello,
I am an English woman who has been living in Italy for a very long time (too much actually) and I really feel very very homesick. I cannot help you as far as the starting of a radio station but I can surely be your first listener if you ever to start one. Please please let me know if you do....I'll be there. Thanks and good luck :)

Clarky7 Jan 3rd 2007 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by logicunity (Post 2075096)

The only Idea I can give you is that if you looking for a DJ when you start the station, please drop me a line.

Wayne

KerryPG Jan 14th 2007 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by laprincipessa (Post 2226768)
Hello! thanks for the reply! Well, I do have nine years experience in both radio and tv....and have worked for Sky, ITN and the BBC as well as independent local radio stations. I've met what's called the competency bar for broadcast journalists at the BBC, which means I have covered all roles at Grade 7 standard. I've been a bulletin reader, live radio car reporter, breakfast producer, co-presenter, reporter, news editor...you name it, I've done it! Is this of any help to you? If so, stay in touch and we'll swap email addresses - btw, do you have a hotmail log in - that's a safe and easy way to make contact through the net...and we can have live chat! x

Hello there

I notice you wrote on here some months ago I hope you are still checking!

I am a Broadcast Journalist (TV and radio) myself from England and I work at a national broadcaster (one you mentioned!) at the moment but I love Italy so much, have no emotional ties here in the UK that I am looking to move to Italy.

It would be great, wonderful, perfect even to talk with you and share our experiences, ups and downs, warts and all in the process of moving to Italy.

As not speaking Italian is a no no, I'm looking at getting private Italian lessons in my home in South London. I can't join a part time evening course sadly like most normal people because of my long worknig hours!

The only thing, it seems so far, that's slowing my process of moving to Italy down is, I can't learn the language to a fluent standard, fast enough.

Kerry

KerryPG Jan 14th 2007 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by logicunity (Post 2075096)

Did you start your radio station up?