British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   England to Italy move advice (for an Italian!) tax/blue badge/banks/phones (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/england-italy-move-advice-italian-tax-blue-badge-banks-phones-911935/)

pannacotta Apr 20th 2018 5:41 pm

England to Italy move advice (for an Italian!) tax/blue badge/banks/phones

Moving my elderly mum back to Italy after decades in the UK. (she and I are Italian but I've not lived in Italy for decades either.. we're nationals and fluent)

Apart from the language knowledge it's almost like moving to a new country for her in terms of the procedures and so on.

- can she take her UK fixed line phone to Italy (she can't see well and is familiar with this one)

- any advice on how whether to transfer proceeds of UK house sale to Italy BEFORE or AFTER getting official Italian residence? Are there tax implications? Will she get flagged by the tax police if she transfers a chunk of change from her UK account to her Italian account?

Should she open a new account for this not use her decades old account that has her old Italian address (which will also be her new Italian address). There are different rules for non resident accounts and we just left her old Italian address for all these years to keep things simple.

- any idea how to transfer her UK Blue Badge (for disabled people) to an Italian one or can she continue to use the UK one?

- TV - can she take her UK TV to Italy?- i.e. will it work?

- do debit cards (bancomat) that require you to sign, not use a pin number. exist in Italy - she has bad eyes and prefers to sign.

- anyone know about TV licences?

Any other advice from you UK expats who moved to Italy? Especially elderly forum members!

I'd be happy to translate anything for anyone in return for advice! (I'm not here often so please be patient!)

Thank you !:thumbsup:

Geordieborn Apr 20th 2018 8:17 pm

Re: England to Italy move advice (for an Italian!) tax/blue badge/banks/phones

Originally Posted by pannacotta (Post 12485867)
Moving my elderly mum back to Italy after decades in the UK. (she and I are Italian but I've not lived in Italy for decades either.. we're nationals and fluent)

Apart from the language knowledge it's almost like moving to a new country for her in terms of the procedures and so on.

- can she take her UK fixed line phone to Italy (she can't see well and is familiar with this one)

- any advice on how whether to transfer proceeds of UK house sale to Italy BEFORE or AFTER getting official Italian residence? Are there tax implications? Will she get flagged by the tax police if she transfers a chunk of change from her UK account to her Italian account?

Should she open a new account for this not use her decades old account that has her old Italian address (which will also be her new Italian address). There are different rules for non resident accounts and we just left her old Italian address for all these years to keep things simple.

- any idea how to transfer her UK Blue Badge (for disabled people) to an Italian one or can she continue to use the UK one?

- TV - can she take her UK TV to Italy?- i.e. will it work?

- do debit cards (bancomat) that require you to sign, not use a pin number. exist in Italy - she has bad eyes and prefers to sign.

- anyone know about TV licences?

Any other advice from you UK expats who moved to Italy? Especially elderly forum members!

I'd be happy to translate anything for anyone in return for advice! (I'm not here often so please be patient!)

Thank you !:thumbsup:

Best of luck in the move...
I can't answer much, but sure others will...
The telephone handset and tv should be fine, for the latter it's a bit like the UK i.e. you need a digital decoder of some sort. :fingerscrossed:

37100 Apr 20th 2018 8:52 pm

You have to update the UK blue badge with a UK address so you won't be able to use it here. She'll need to go to the ASL to obtain an Italian one and then to the comune if the ASL doctor agrees for a badge.

Debit cards all have pin numbers here and, now that they are replacing the old key pads with a touch screen, it's a problem for the sight hindered. But go through the disabled till and they are patient. They are happy for me to tap in my mum's pin number.

TV licences are only free for the over 75''s on very low incomes.

The phone will work, but depending to the plug and the wall socket you might have to buy a adaptor. Some homes still have a three pin socket.

You'll need to update your old Italian account with her new address. As long as any money you transfer is traceable it won't be a problem with the tax office even if the do check.

chris120 Apr 23rd 2018 10:23 am

TV licence in Italy doesnt exist as such any more, its added to your electricity bill, if you qualify for free TV you would need to do the bueracrcy to prove that.

pannacotta Apr 25th 2018 11:50 pm

concierge thank you in particular - do you know if it's automatic that you turn in theUK blue badge and get an italian one? you don't need to go through the whole verification process. i hope

37100 Apr 26th 2018 7:05 am

Originally Posted by pannacotta (Post 12489304)
concierge thank you in particular - do you know if it's automatic that you turn in theUK blue badge and get an italian one? you don't need to go through the whole verification process. i hope

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid. You start again.:(

HADENOUGHPIZZA Apr 27th 2018 9:21 am

You may not encounter any difficulties with the bank unless they figure out you should have been paying non resident charges for years but if the account has been completely dormant and empty it may no longer be open and they will need to up date her identity documentation . I do not know of any cash or debit cards or that require a signature but italy still uses cash to a far greater extent that the UK if she'd prefer that or there are contactless cards which only require a PIN for larger ammounts .