British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Electrician in Perugia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/electrician-perugia-930084/)

Ollybetts Dec 31st 2019 6:59 pm

Electrician in Perugia

Hi,
New to the forum. We have a old farmhouse near Gubbio (Umbria) and struggling to find a english speaking electrician as our Italian is still work in progress. Any recommendations are much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

philat98 Jan 1st 2020 12:30 pm

Re: Electrician in Perugia

Congratulations on your move to Umbria.
I don't think it wil be too easy to find an English speaking tradesman in Gubbio. If you learn a bit of the technical vocab you can probably manage by yourselves. We use a Romanian tradesman and he seems able to do everything.

Ollybetts Jan 1st 2020 1:11 pm

thanks philat98 really helpful. Is there any chance the Romanian tradesman is near Gubbio? :)

philat98 Jan 1st 2020 3:06 pm

Unfortunately I and the Romanian are at the other end of Umbria. You could try asking a friendly neighbour to recommend someone. Troubles with electricity are pretty common here.
The language in the countryside is difficult to understand. I suspect Umbrian dialect is a work in progress for most expats.

scot47 Jan 1st 2020 5:40 pm

Is it realistic to expect to fin an English-speaking electrician in Umbria ?

HADENOUGHPIZZA Jan 2nd 2020 8:44 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12784142)
Is it realistic to expect to fin an English-speaking electrician in Umbria ?

If the Electrician has qualified recently then she/ he will have done years of english at school and have at least the basics , plus the number of expats in an area like Gubbio will increase the chances considerably . That said the best thing is to get speaking italian as fast as possible because choosing a tradesman for his linguistic skills as opposed to his professional ones stikes me as risky .

philat98 Jan 2nd 2020 10:32 am

Surprisingly according to TuttItalia there are only 41 Brits in Gubbio among a population of 30,000 so I don' t suppose there will be an English electrician. I think if a tradesman has the patience to explain things to someone who is not comprehending very well it is a good sign.

scot47 Jan 2nd 2020 5:57 pm

"years of English at school" I know people who have done years of French at school but are totally incapable of communicating in said lingo.

Plan B Jan 3rd 2020 7:38 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12784470)
"years of English at school" I know people who have done years of French at school but are totally incapable of communicating in said lingo.

Oy! Is you talking about moi?

philat98 Jan 3rd 2020 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Plan B (Post 12784625)
Oy! Is you talking about moi?

I am sadly in the same boat. I shared a desk with a French boss and even with an A level in French I could never grasp his telephone conversations with his wife.

Jake.White Jan 3rd 2020 9:09 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12784470)

Sounds like me : 'Je suis un idiot' when it comes to speaking French.. :(

UK Electrician Jan 3rd 2020 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ollybetts (Post 12783916)
Hi,
New to the forum. We have a old farmhouse near Gubbio (Umbria) and struggling to find a english speaking electrician as our Italian is still work in progress. Any recommendations are much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Feel free too message me